Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    You are ignorant about multi-boxing

Your example is as far fetched as far fetched can get, so much so that it is comical because how many people playing FFXI are doing what you have tried to illustrate in that picture?
    You've searched the most craziest/extreme image online and posted it.

You're telling me that people are alt-tabbing between screens to play (even though you can only run one instance legitimately and I doubt they are running 5 VM's)...
    They are controlling numerous characters with spot on reactions by alt-tabbing through 6 different screens?

Please.....
    (1)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 12-29-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Yakana
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    /facedesks at posts
    (0)

Player
    Your point was that everyone multiboxing is cheating, this is untrue. The more characters someone has the more likely they are doing something iffy but most people with alts are just playing normal as you are.

I myself had 2 desktops and a laptop to control 3 characters and I had macros to follow my main, I controlled them all myself.

You see some youtuber that automates this and can clear VD content and you think everyone can do that. I'm pointing out that many people who multibox a) aren't clearing VD content and are multiboxing easy or normal and b) are not doing what you think they are. Yes people cycle through characters with alt tab (which is in vanilla) and people use multiple computers. You have it in your head that everyone that you see with characters on follow is a a cyberpunk hacker and I'm trying to educate you that most people are not like that at all, they just like having multiple characters.

Stop generalizing everyone because you're mad about a youtuber. Most people who multipbox cannot do what he does, they are not clearing VD instances.

Your initial point was that multboxers are gods and I'm pointing out that no, we have delays while we cycle (I've died many times because I could not heal fast enough for instance) and we are multi tasking so play worse than a single player controlling one character. We know that but we enjoy being more busy and having multiple characters to gear and use. You think because one youtuber does amazing things and automated things everyone does that, this is not true.
    (1)
    Last edited by Pixela; 12-29-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Character
    Yakana
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Your point was that everyone multi boxing is cheating, this is untrue.
    While for once I agree with this, many MMOs now condemn Multi boxing when the use of scripts, softward automating the work is involved. FFXI is too old in it's current state to take proper measures (Which is one of many reason I'd like a modernization of XI). But that doesn't change that most who build Windower or Ashita assisted scripts, which is "NUMEROUS", especially on Asura. Making them legit.

It's oblivious when you see a box and all commends responds being simultaneous. That is clear cheating. God-like or not doesn't matter in this particular case, nor even does the OP, suggesting a clear time for Ambuscade. I don't think it's necessary but I am not against it. I just don't see how it will affect anything, overall.
    (0)

Player
    FFXI has fairly slow combat, ironically this makes it a very profitable subscription MMO because so many people can and do multibox (multibolxing is far more diffiult on other games are does require a lot more "help", this is not the case on FFXI). If they did take action on multiboxing (which is not against the rules) they would lose possibly 1/4 of the monthly subs.

The age of the engine is kind of irrelevant anyway though, there are plenty of multiboxers on ffxiv too, and all the things you complain about are on there too.

Back in the day I would use 2 characters in group content like Dynamis or HNM, I didn't even know how to use all these tools some are complaining about. I had my main and I had my alt from my laptop with a controller on my lap, when I needed to use my other character I would move my hands off my keyboard and pick up the controller to fire off the macro, then drop the controller and put my hands on the keyboard again. It's that easy.
    (1)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I never said that multiboxing is cheating. I said that the vast majority of people who multibox are cheating. There's a fine difference, but I think that it's a very important one.

My response on the previous page was intended to clarify the position that, while multiboxing isn't technically likely to affect the results of a leaderboard system, the vast majority of people multiboxing are doing so using tools that also vastly improve their performance in other ways. That will affect the results of a leaderboard system. The two issues are distinct, but not as distinct as some people in this thread seem to be suggesting.

I don't doubt that some people multibox legitimately - virtual machines, software like Wine, literal multiple boxes. I tried it a few times and honestly it was a nightmare. I'm sure some people find it easier, and perhaps this game is a good candidate for legitimate multiboxing for various reasons, but let's not pretend that the majority of people are doing that. Most of them are using something to make the process easier for them. I've explained before how tool usage messes up the game for everyone else, and I won't do it again, but it's sufficient to say that for any given multiboxer the question you've got to ask is not if a moral or ToS violation is occurring, but how egregious it is.

I've met one person who I'm reasonably sure is multiboxing legitimately, and I'm genuinely impressed that they're able to do it. This is out of the hundreds of people I've met on my server, many of who multibox by cheating to varying extents. Yeah, personal experience isn't evidence, but for me it's fairly conclusive.

Honestly though, I'm not trying to pick fights - I'm just genuinely disappointed that so many interesting features like this one are unfortunately quite pointless until SE starts putting its foot down.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbob View Post
    I never said that multiboxing is cheating. I said that the vast majority of people who multibox are cheating. There's a fine difference, but I think that it's a very important one.
    I disagree.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I disagree.
    Well, It looks like we will have to draw a line under this 'debate' and agree to disagree in this case.
    (1)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I guess... my ~new~ signature has caused people to start debating about multiboxing...
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post

Your example is as far fetched as far fetched can get, so much so that it is comical because how many people playing FFXI are doing what you have tried to illustrate in that picture?
    You've searched the most craziest/extreme image online and posted it.

You're telling me that people are alt-tabbing between screens to play (even though you can only run one instance legitimately and I doubt they are running 5 VM's)...
    They are controlling numerous characters with spot on reactions by alt-tabbing through 6 different screens?

Please.....
    I mean, it can be done, and I'm sure some of the first people who did it, did it this way.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast