Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Player
    Talk to the moogle in your garden, i forget which option but it tells you these things.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Talk to the moogle in your garden, i forget which option but it tells you these things.
    Dang, I wonder if I just forgot about that... I almost did go check before asking, but felt pretty sure it's not there!

Many thanks!

Hmmm.

"You have freed 14 creatures."
    "44 creatures have passed on."

Hah. I only started putting them down once I noticed I got a title from that, too. Pretty mean to make us do that!

The other activities I stopped doing once I hit maximum rank on them, though I might not guess that from some of the numbers, though that's of course due to them having multiple actions available daily (visited 1005, furrow 745, grove 4209, veins 4048, pond 325, coast 326, cared 1749, reared 58).
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Avereith View Post
    We've also had people rank up just from activating homepoints for the first time, so it's more than just titles. It really is just a background point system that we will never ever ever figure out if the points are at all weighted towards certain content.

"I just unlocked homepoint to Attowah chasm and received a rank up from 4-5"

Also it's not pure titles because we have another player working this out with is that has just as many titles as the rank 8 guy and is still rank 7

You didn't read the dev post did you?

They listed off tons of things that contribute to mastery rank, including unlocking home points etc. And they noted that titles are heavily tied to content completion and thus are something you want to go after.

You wrote this post as if you just discovered these things, but they were covered in the official post. blold/underline emphasis mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dev Post Earlier In The Thread
    Greetings,
    The following is the extent of the information we can share regarding Mastery Rank.
    • Accumulated playtime
    • Mission progress
    • Number of completed quests
    • Combat and magic skills
    • Synthesis and fishing skills
    • Number of Trusts obtained
    • Battle content (Such as Dynamis, Nyzul Isle, Moblin Maze Mongers, Otherworldly Skirmishes, Omen, etc.)
    • Non-battle content (Such as Chocobo Racing, Mog Garden, unlocking Warps, etc.)
    • Titles almost always correlate with content completion; titles obtained upon completing content are tied to Mastery Rank.

One example is the Expeditionary Trooper title that is obtained upon completing Expeditionary Force.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-10-2021 at 07:44 AM.

Character
    Avereith
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I mean, of course I read the dev post. But I don't think it's a fair post. It still explains literally nothing except "Hey go do everything, ya jerks!" It even has an etc in the post, like we wouldn't want to know exactly what contributes to the system and the rankings

And yes, we did "just discover" those things. There was no actual proof that obtaining a home-point alone on its own would be enough to up the point system to rank someone up until someone reported it. Every new thing we do and every new rank up we hear about and exactly what happened during it is an addition to our collective efforts.

I think it's fair to say there may be weight given to more specific objectives, or even gatekeeping objectives much like a guild rank up test would have you turn in a specific item in order to rank up. I don't think it would be a stretch to believe that there is a point system as well as certain objectives that must be completed 100% to attain a rank

I think their answer is a crappy cop-out answer that anyone on this board could have given, and is hardly the kind of response I would expect from an official developer that sees actual fans of the game trying to puzzle out a new system and actually play the game again and do old content instead of rotating omen/dyna-d/reisen helms on repeat forever
    (4)

Character
    Avereith
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    Dang, I wonder if I just forgot about that... I almost did go check before asking, but felt pretty sure it's not there!

Many thanks!

Hmmm.

"You have freed 14 creatures."
    "44 creatures have passed on."

Hah. I only started putting them down once I noticed I got a title from that, too. Pretty mean to make us do that!

The other activities I stopped doing once I hit maximum rank on them, though I might not guess that from some of the numbers, though that's of course due to them having multiple actions available daily (visited 1005, furrow 745, grove 4209, veins 4048, pond 325, coast 326, cared 1749, reared 58).
    If you're interested at all (probably not, who would be), there are many titles you've yet to attain from the mog garden, with the last ones coming at 1000 rearings, 1000 monsters killed, 1000 furrow harvests, 1000 pond, and 1000 coast. And yes that's as ridiculous as you think, considering that 1000 pond/coast means literally once a day for 1000 days
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I mean, of course I read the dev post. But I don't think it's a fair post. It still explains literally nothing except "Hey go do everything, ya jerks!" It even has an etc in the post, like we wouldn't want to know exactly what contributes to the system and the rankings
    As I noted, there are some key things not included in that list, like making gil or collecting items (Regular items are generally not tracked by the game- key items on the other hand are different."

I mean, its pretty plain from the dev post along with our own discoveries that most things contribute. It's going to be easier to figure out what doesn't matter than what does. You not thinking it's "fair" (whatever that's supposed to mean) doesn't make it such.

But regardless of that, you basically repeated many of the contents of the dev post yourself as if it was never made, which is itself pointless. They said warps count, you don't need to test to see if they count, we already knew that anyway.

It's honestly more clear when you look at a different way: Everything that is stated to contribute by them are permanent things.. with the exception of ballista titles, all titles are permanent and can be retrieved from a title bard. All non-temporary key items (duh) are permanent and can be used as a metric for progress. EXP and merit points are not, but job points as tracked by the Gifts system are. Playtime is permanent. Collecting teleports is permanent. Learned spells are permanent. Combat/magic/craft skills are permanent. Quest completions are permanent.

What I'm getting at here: anything that's actually permanent to your character likely counts. Regular items in your inventory, gil, EXP/meripo, temporary key items most likely do not. Gil almost without a doubt does not, otherwise the RMT would be all over that in a heartbeat, selling people mastery ranks.

Also: All of the above is testable: AFK powerlevel a new character and quickly get all their job levels up but don't raise their skills etc. Transfer max gil to a mule. repeatedly obtain and use temporary key items.

Every MMO has secrets they're not willing to give out. you say you think no competent developer would make a post like that. I say the exact opposite. FFXI has always asked players to figure out the ins and outs. Even FFXIV doesn't tell everybody EVERYTHING The spawn conditions for S rank hunts were not given directly. The XI devs specifically kept it vague to make it harder for players to game the system. It would admittedly have been easier to just say "almost everything affects it, don't waste your time trying to figure it out and just enjoy the damn game." but then we'd have been outraged at the rudeness. Besides, FFXI's playerbase is incredibly superstitious, everyone insisted and swore by standing in a particular direction while crafting enhanced the results until like 15 years later when the devs finally said it doesn't do anything.

Honestly, it was a mistake to put this in the game in the first place, because now hardcore players are having a p**sing contest trying to get the most mastery rank. The reason they put it there was so novices in the assist channel could get a loose idea how experienced the players they are talking to are.

It just beggars belief that the devs literally list all the things that contribute to mastery rank and yet you want to insist it says nothing and think there must be some crazy conspiracy.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-10-2021 at 02:54 PM.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Avereith View Post
    If you're interested at all (probably not, who would be), there are many titles you've yet to attain from the mog garden, with the last ones coming at 1000 rearings, 1000 monsters killed, 1000 furrow harvests, 1000 pond, and 1000 coast. And yes that's as ridiculous as you think, considering that 1000 pond/coast means literally once a day for 1000 days
    I did imagine there would be more, but I could not guess how high they'd set them (and I haven't looked for spoilers about it). Took a while to even realise they give titles due to the fact that the game doesn't tell us when the title changes, and that it changes the title every day if doing stuff like Domain Invasion.

Actually not sure now why I got so many interactions on things, when another character got to rank 7 on them with a lot less. I guess I did do the things a bit more than for the rank after all... heh.

Guess I'll start doing them again, at least when I can bother to. 1000 is a bit too much fer sure, and now I kind of wish I started going to the garden when it was released, but I didn't until a few years after the fact (well, a bit more than 1005 days ago, I maybe guess... and had I been using the things every day, I'd be done now!).

Thanks!
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Avereith
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    As I noted, there are some key things not included in that list, like making gil or collecting items (Regular items are generally not tracked by the game- key items on the other hand are different."

I mean, its pretty plain from the dev post along with our own discoveries that most things contribute. It's going to be easier to figure out what doesn't matter than what does. You not thinking it's "fair" (whatever that's supposed to mean) doesn't make it such.

But regardless of that, you basically repeated many of the contents of the dev post yourself as if it was never made, which is itself pointless. They said warps count, you don't need to test to see if they count, we already knew that anyway.

It's honestly more clear when you look at a different way: Everything that is stated to contribute by them are permanent things.. with the exception of ballista titles, all titles are permanent and can be retrieved from a title bard. All non-temporary key items (duh) are permanent and can be used as a metric for progress. EXP and merit points are not, but job points as tracked by the Gifts system are. Playtime is permanent. Collecting teleports is permanent. Learned spells are permanent. Combat/magic/craft skills are permanent. Quest completions are permanent.

What I'm getting at here: anything that's actually permanent to your character likely counts. Regular items in your inventory, gil, EXP/meripo, temporary key items most likely do not. Gil almost without a doubt does not, otherwise the RMT would be all over that in a heartbeat, selling people mastery ranks.

Also: All of the above is testable: AFK powerlevel a new character and quickly get all their job levels up but don't raise their skills etc. Transfer max gil to a mule. repeatedly obtain and use temporary key items.

Every MMO has secrets they're not willing to give out. you say you think no competent developer would make a post like that. I say the exact opposite. FFXI has always asked players to figure out the ins and outs. Even FFXIV doesn't tell everybody EVERYTHING The spawn conditions for S rank hunts were not given directly. The XI devs specifically kept it vague to make it harder for players to game the system. It would admittedly have been easier to just say "almost everything affects it, don't waste your time trying to figure it out and just enjoy the damn game." but then we'd have been outraged at the rudeness. Besides, FFXI's playerbase is incredibly superstitious, everyone insisted and swore by standing in a particular direction while crafting enhanced the results until like 15 years later when the devs finally said it doesn't do anything.

Honestly, it was a mistake to put this in the game in the first place, because now hardcore players are having a p**sing contest trying to get the most mastery rank. The reason they put it there was so novices in the assist channel could get a loose idea how experienced the players they are talking to are.

It just beggars belief that the devs literally list all the things that contribute to mastery rank and yet you want to insist it says nothing and think there must be some crazy conspiracy.
    This isn't a contest to see who's better. This is just literally the only piece of content in the game that isn't math'd out in spreadsheets. It's a puzzle. A fun puzzle for anyone to contribute and figure out how to works.

And yet like... 5? people total are contributing between two forums and those numbers aren't enough to figure anything out, and it's rather irritating.

We do have some people that are willing to make new characters and control variables and such, but others like myself only have one character and no mules and can only contribute with combined stats at rank up, which doesn't mean anything as there is so much uncontrolled.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that there is an actual mystery in FFXI to solve again, and yet no one seems to care.
    (1)

Player
    And yet like... 5? people total are contributing between two forums and those numbers aren't enough to figure anything out, and it's rather irritating.

We do have some people that are willing to make new characters and control variables and such, but others like myself only have one character and no mules and can only contribute with combined stats at rank up, which doesn't mean anything as there is so much uncontrolled.

I guess I just find it hard to believe that there is an actual mystery in FFXI to solve again, and yet no one seems to care.
    There are people working on it, not only on the two forums you mentioned but on the JP side too.

The majority are always going to be busy on the things you find mundane, things like this are always figured out by the few willing to dig in the dirt.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I can respect that. I honestly figured that th is system was going to trigger big e-peen contests between all the most elite players "LOOK AT ME MY MASTERY RANK IS MORE THAN YOURS." But there's always been people figuring out things in FFXI just for the sake of figuring them out, so I suppose I should be less surprised.

I mean hey. I took the time to determine that Bubbly Bernie has about 337 MP (which it can't use but has by virtue of being a PLD) by aspiring it over and over. Prior to that I had thought that monsters generally had infinite MP. Then there was that tonberry NM in pso'xja where draining it of all MP became a tactic after a group discovered it would literally stand still and perform no actions when it runs out of MP.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 02-11-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast