Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Return home during the Holidays

I'm very saddened by the return home to Vana'diel happening during the holidays. The holidays are about spending time with family, so many of my friends are not going to be able to come back because of that or they are out of town. I also expect that if anyone does happen to make it back they will have little to no greeting because I myself will be online very little. I understand this was a last minute idea from someone to make up for missing it during the usual early November time; however, I really wish we could have just had it early-mid January. Its very hard to follow the "That being said, we have no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence. Don't forget your family, your friends, your school or your work." when your only offering things during the biggest family and friends time of the year.
    (1)

Player
    It wasn't to make up for removing it in November, they decided to move it as a business strategy.
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    On the flipside of that though, they may be thinking about people who are reframing from being with family this Christmas due to the current pandemic.
    I won't be spending time with family this Christmas, due to the risk factors, and I suspect quite a few people will be in the same position.
    (6)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    I'm very saddened by the return home to Vana'diel happening during the holidays. The holidays are about spending time with family, so many of my friends are not going to be able to come back because of that or they are out of town. I also expect that if anyone does happen to make it back they will have little to no greeting because I myself will be online very little. I understand this was a last minute idea from someone to make up for missing it during the usual early November time; however, I really wish we could have just had it early-mid January. Its very hard to follow the "That being said, we have no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence. Don't forget your family, your friends, your school or your work." when your only offering things during the biggest family and friends time of the year.
    This holiday season, people shouldn't be travelling and spending time with family to avoid spreading the virus. Online chats, games, etc offer a way to interact with others that, while not ideal, is better than nothing. They made a smart choice here.

Also, it was a clear and specific decision to hold the campaign this month, it wasn't a "whoops, sorry we forgot to do it in November." Which should, by your logic cause you to make the same complaint since November also includes a big family holiday (For North America, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    On the flipside of that though, they may be thinking about people who are reframing from being with family this Christmas due to the current pandemic.
    I won't be spending time with family this Christmas, due to the risk factors, and I suspect quite a few people will be in the same position.
    This.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-05-2020 at 05:34 AM.

Player
    [QUOTE=Alhanelem;632309]This holiday season, people shouldn't be travelling and spending time with family to avoid spreading the virus. Online chats, games, etc offer a way to interact with others that, while not ideal, is better than nothing. They made a smart choice here.

Also, it was a clear and specific decision to hold the campaign this month, it wasn't a "whoops, sorry we forgot to do it in November." Which should, by your logic cause you to make the same complaint since November also includes a big family holiday (For North America, anyway)

Good point from Sirmarki, however, your to your point about the campaign in November, is always prior to the holiday and did not include the holiday. This one includes two holidays. I am just vocalizing my frustration with the fact people I look forward to returning for a few weeks every 6months or so, will not be returning for this one. I'm glad they are offering the campaign at all, but really regret that they couldn't offer another (sooner then the normal may run) not during Holidays.
    (1)

Player
    Looks like they ran one in February this year and May hopefully they do that again.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    It wasn't to make up for removing it in November, they decided to move it as a business strategy.
    Your absolutely correct, I didn't notice that at first, but confirmed via the Episode #17 digest.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    This holiday season, people shouldn't be travelling and spending time with family to avoid spreading the virus. Online chats, games, etc offer a way to interact with others that, while not ideal, is better than nothing. They made a smart choice here.

Good point from Sirmarki, however, your to your point about the campaign in November, is always prior to the holiday and did not include the holiday. This one includes two holidays. I am just vocalizing my frustration with the fact people I look forward to returning for a few weeks every 6months or so, will not be returning for this one. I'm glad they are offering the campaign at all, but really regret that they couldn't offer another (sooner then the normal may run) not during Holidays.
    I mean, the point of these campaigns is to get people to come back, not just to play for free a few days periodically. I think your complaint is silly, holidays are a day each, not the entire campaign- that's plenty of time to enjoy things even if you disregard CDC health advice and meet with people anyway. But that's just my opinion. This is a good thing that they're offering this during a time when in person gatherings are being (and should be) discouraged. The very fact that I care about my family and friends is why I'm not holding or attending any parties or gatherings. It's not even because anyone is saying to do it, it's because it's a logical, rational decision to make under the current circumstances.

Personally I only pay sporadically but I'm still subbed, so I can play whenever the mood strikes me and not just when SE has a campaign. Honestly, if you're literally only playing during free campaigns as a strategy, you may as well just stop playing entirely. I don't want to discourage anyone from coming back to the game, but it doesn't sound like you're really enjoying it that much.
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-05-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Player
    Best to ignore the antagonistic posts.

Also, have fun with your family OP and enjoy the free time with FFXI when you can.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Best to ignore the antagonistic posts.

Also, have fun with your family OP and enjoy the free time with FFXI when you can.
    I also ignore the Pixela posts. [facetious]
    I mean, I'm sorry you feel it's "antagonistic," but this this thread is a serious case of looking a gift horse in the mouth. They don't HAVE to do free campaigns at all. People should be thankful they exist instead of complaining that the timing isn't exactly when they wanted their free gift and essentially threatening to not use the free gift.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-05-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast