Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Player Kylos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    130
    Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

    8 Reasons why the /assist channel isn't working

    Hello! Good day to you all.

    Today, let's look at the reasons why the new /assist channel isn't working, along with some suggestions to improve on it? Your skepticism is welcome and expected.

    Having helped fellow players since 2004, I've got experience in dealing with those seeking support. Linkshells have done exceptionally well in assisting new/returning players since the beginning, and it hasn't changed. Even on the smallest servers there are at least one or two groups who are more than happy taking in players and answering all of their questions.

    Therein lies problem #1: We already had the means to assist new/returning players without the new chat channel. By introducing /assist, you're unintentionally undermining those who put in the effort to support in their own way.

    Although I understand that some new players won't know how to acquire a linkshell (Concierge NPCs are amazing btw!) and may struggle to find a group, this is exceedingly rare because the details are out there on Wiki sites, Reddit, ffxiah.com, and other places sharing the information.

    Before we look in to the next, let me say I understand SE wanting to revamp the mentor system. It was stated years ago they wanted to do something with it, and after being left on the back burner for so long, I welcomed it with open arms. Let's look at the chat channel itself.

    #2: So far I have only seen myself and one other person join up as a mentor on my server; most of the time it's just me. No one has used it to ask questions while I have been online. Thus far, I have only used the channel to tell players there is a filter for the assist channel if they do not want to see the messages, however...

    ... The Chat Filter For /Assist Does Not Work! This Has Been Confirmed And Needs Fixing!

    The broken filter discourages players from becoming mentors because others will add them to their /blacklist. By trying to help others, they inadvertently alienate themselves because of the way the channel is set up. This leads us to the next issue.

    #3: The chat is very public. It shows up in all the chat logs of those sitting in the zones using /assist. This is a massive issue because veteran players or others who don't want to be flooded with chatter while they are busy (or just don't want it full stop) have no choice.

    Imagine if players logged in everyday asking questions? It would be like spam. The assist channel should be made private to mentors and new/returning players who are eligible, and it needs to be across ALL zones. This way it serves like a temporary linkshell without equipping one. However, the fact that new/returning players get this feature for only 48 Hours?! Why?! That's a blip in our game time.

    Imagine a server with one mentor and they don't log in for a few days and a player can't find anyone? It's useless. It should be extended to a week at least, because you can't expect mentors (if there are any) to be on 24/7. And speaking of which, here comes the next issue...

    #4: When you do a "Mentor Search", it only searches for Mentors in your area by default. This. Is. Wrong. It should do a worldwide search by default, otherwise the chance of them searching for a mentor and happening to see one in their own area is incredibly unlikely.

    At the moment, you're having to go through the options to make this a possibility, but most new/returning players won't know how to do this. To them, it will never look like there are mentors online. And talking about using the system...

    #5: You're seriously expecting players to know how to use /assiste or /assistj out of the gate? Most players aren't looking at the game manual to find this out. It needs to be inserted in the game from the beginning with a reward for doing so.

    There needs to be a big fat arrow pointing 'em toward the NPC with the information. Make it an RoE objective if it helps. And don't make it so they can just skip through it by clicking "Enter". Otherwise, most players aren't going to know it exists or how to use it. Make it interactive with a test or something.

    #6: The mute thing smells wrong to me. At the moment it reads like anyone over mastery rank 6 can mute? That's not right. It should only be reserved for mentors who have been there long enough to be trusted to use it.

    The feedback system is flawed, because most new/returning players won't know the feature exists. They will take the support on board, but they won't take the time to "thumbs up" because they probably won't know it's there. If they do know about it, people are more likely to ignore it anyways. And leading in to my next point...

    #7: The chat is severely limited because you can only post one sentence every minute or two? So if you're wanting to explain something in detail, you can't. Sometimes, this game requires a more detailed explanation, and at the moment the /assist channel does not encourage in-depth chat. You're better off saying.. "Sorry, /tell me because this channel won't let me explain it because of its limit". Or better yet, "Join my Linkshell and we'll talk about it there".

    If the point of this is to explain the absolute basics? Then your game manual and tutorial NPCs should already be equipped to answer these. We don't need in-game players explaining the most basic functions. It's a fail otherwise. Mentors should be assisting with things you can't explain with a few sentences in a guide or with NPC dialogue.

    #8: Speaking of which, how many "new" players are subscribing? Because it can't be that many. If they are it's more likely on higher population servers where they are so many groups who can take them in to help.

    If you're expecting "returning" players to use this? Then that's naive because they already know how to research. The community has spent almost two decades putting everything together on the many Wiki sites and other outlets, and it's easy to find them in a Google search. So who exactly "needs" this feature? From what I see... nobody.

    And there we have it. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I needed to get it off my chest. I recently watched a video of the community reps talking to the NuDawn podcast, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So I hope they see this and can pass on the feedback to the developers. Their heart was absolutely in the right place here! I can respect that. But saying the /assist channel is poorly implemented is an understatement. Thanks.
    (3)
    Last edited by Kylos; 11-22-2020 at 06:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Player Pixela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    764
    Character
    Lynettta
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'm starting to wonder if the intention was never to help new players and just to beta test a system to enable "trusted" players to censor RMT in /yell. I hope they don't do this, it will silence the RMT shouts but it will also be abused by people to stop "trolls" or other chat they don't like and although some like this, some of us find them enjoyable.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-22-2020 at 07:27 AM.

  3. #3
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    #5: You're seriously expecting players to know how to use /assiste or /assistj out of the gate? Most players aren't looking at the game manual to find this out. It needs to be inserted in the game from the beginning with a reward for doing so.
    Also will be fun when it gets confused with /assist which is an entirely different thing unrelated to chat.
    (2)
    Too many people in FFXI land are toxic. Including the official forums.

  4. #4
    Player Sirmarki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,268
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    it will silence the RMT shouts but it will also be abused by people to stop "trolls" or other chat they don't like and although some like this, some of us find them enjoyable.
    Who? There is no place for politics or cussing in a public viewed chat arena within a MMORPG. People play because they are drained of real life events. Hence the word fantasy (to escape reality).
    (1)

    Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

  5. #5
    Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Who? There is no place for politics or cussing in a public viewed chat arena within a MMORPG. People play because they are drained of real life events. Hence the word fantasy (to escape reality).
    THIS. So much this. I really wish yell channel would stop being 90%+ politics every time I am trying to get something done that I need yells to get going on..

    I'm sick to death of the log just being FILLED with endless arguing about Trump and Hunter Biden etc.
    (2)
    Last edited by GlobalVariable; 11-23-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Too many people in FFXI land are toxic. Including the official forums.

  6. #6
    Player Pixela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    764
    Character
    Lynettta
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Who? There is no place for politics or cussing in a public viewed chat arena within a MMORPG. People play because they are drained of real life events. Hence the word fantasy (to escape reality).
    Just because you want that doesn't mean everyone else does, in an online game you have to accept that other people exist and they aren't carbon copies of you.

    Some want to talk politics, some want to talk about dhamel movie names, some want to talk about turtles. Tolerance of people doing things you don't like is something people just have to learn to deal with if they want to play with other people.

    People talk about things I don't like quite often, I just ignore it.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 11-23-2020 at 01:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Player Pixela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    764
    Character
    Lynettta
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    One of the problems with FFXI honestly is that every chat channel is mixed into one by default, every other MMORPG I have ever played has had tabs for each different chat system. LFG, shout, global, say, party. You have to tab over to each one.
    (1)

  8. #8
    Player Sirmarki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,268
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Just because you want that doesn't mean everyone else does, in an online game you have to accept that other people exist and they aren't carbon copies of you.
    Some want to talk politics, some want to talk about dhamel movie names, some want to talk about turtles. Tolerance of people doing things you don't like is something people just have to learn to deal with if they want to play with other people.
    I'm willing to bet that the majority of people don't want to see political chat which is always divisive. I'll rephrase that - US political chat (let's face it, that's all it seems to be anyway) in a fantasy game, on an international/multi-national server.
    Many forums have rules about political chat especially, and the last place people want to see it is on an MMORPG. Anyway, I /blist it, but between that, trolls and JP/EXP yells - the blist gets full very quickly.
    (3)

    Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

  9. #9
    Player Pixela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    764
    Character
    Lynettta
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    You are willing to bet everything you believe is what most people believe. Again, if you want to play online games you have to accept other people exist and they aren't you.
    (0)

  10. #10
    Player Divinas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    35
    Character
    Pulptenks
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    You are willing to bet everything you believe is what most people believe. Again, if you want to play online games you have to accept other people exist and they aren't you.
    You're wrong and he is pretty much right.
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast