Character
    Elliander
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96

Error Codes POL-5312 and POL-1158 cause updates to fail and so cannot play

I reactivated my Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV accounts via the Square Enix Accounts page. Afterwards I had no issues with logging into FFXIV, but I got repeated errors that kept FFXI from updating so I decided to uninstall my disc based installation and, since the discs are missing at the moment, I reinstalled by downloading the files from the Play Online website. The problem persists.

This is the problem:

After logging in successfully, I get the following error:

Friends List Communication Error
    Error code:POL-5312
    The Square Enix ID, Square Enix password, or one-time password entered is correct

This error of course makes no sense since there is no place to actually enter the Square Enix password.

After going to "Final Fantasy XI > Play > Play" there is a momentary freeze for a few minutes and then it lets me click "Update" and then it says "Downloading the latest version's information" then I get:

Version Update Communication Error
    Error code:POL-1158
    An unexpected error occurred.
    Persistent problems can be reported from service & support.
    I checked the website to make sure the server status is up of course, and it is. Since I first tried from a disc install, and then tried from a reinstall downloaded, I don't know what else I can try. Oh, in my last try, I reinstalled from download and then overwrite with a backup of the disc install before trying to update (seeing as how it would have less to download) and that didn't help either.

I also tried going into "Check Files" from PlayOnline, but unfortunately that only checks the files of PlayOnline Viewer and Tetra Master. It finds no problems with either, which is extra strange since Tetra Master no longer exists, I just happen to still have the installation files.

Frequency: Always (tried uninstall/reinstall)
    Platform: PC; Homebuilt Computer

Intel i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30 GHz (4-core 8-threads) water cooled, 64 GB DDR 4 RAM, Nvidia 980 Ti water cooled, a solid state C drive with around 50 TB of magnetic drives, and 4 monitors.

ISP: Charter

Type of Internet Connection: Cable; 200 megabits per second.

PlayOnline Viewer Ver.1.18.15e

EDIT: This answer does not solve my problem as I have NEVER installed the steam version on my computer. Regardless, I did fully uninstall as the page suggests and reinstalled with the files it links to.

https://support.na.square-enix.com/f...id=58229&id=20
    (0)
    Last edited by Elliander; 10-31-2020 at 11:38 PM.
    Immortal until proven otherwise.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I also tried going into "Check Files" from PlayOnline, but unfortunately that only checks the files of PlayOnline Viewer and Tetra Master..
    You need to click on the drop-down and pick FFXI.

If FFXI does not appear in the drop down, then, well it's not installed or the install is corrupt to where the Viewer doesn't know it exists. This can happen if you swap install folders around to avoid redownloading updates, or from other problems like issues with the drive its installed on. Reinstall the game using the newest installer (don't use the old discs or an installer you downloaded more than a year? ago). and then it should work.

Check Files should look like this: https://imgur.com/a/yQMMQWX

Regarding Tetra Master, the files for it remain and there's no way to get rid of them as they're part of the POL install. It doesn't take up any meaningful amount of space so nothing to be concerned with.

The friend list error, I've never heard of that one, although it seems ignorable it could be related. You did link your POL ID to a Square Enix account right? At the POL Viewer login screen, it should say SQUARE ENIX ID instead of PlayOnline ID. If it says the latter, then you need to link your account to an SE account. You can't play the game until you do so.

Edit: I've added more images to the link above. Your Playonline top screen should look like thesecond image and your login prompt should look like the third image.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-04-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Character
    Elliander
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post

If FFXI does not appear in the drop down, then, well it's not installed or the install is corrupt to where the Viewer doesn't know it exists. This can happen if you swap install folders around to avoid redownloading updates, or from other problems like issues with the drive its installed on. Reinstall the game using the newest installer
    Huh. That's actually pretty helpful, however fully reinstalling without tampering with the files didn't cause FFXI to appear under check files.

Official support was no help. This was the response I got which was insulting to get since anyone who read anything I said would know that I knew my Square Enix ID having been logged in while contacting, and I knew my PlayOnline ID having been logged in while encountering the issue, and that I not only logged out and back in, but also uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly. It literally ignores absolutely everything I said that I had a problem with. You'd think they'd actually WANT people to pay to keep playing the game.

Greetings Elliander,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while attempting to log into the PlayOnline Viewer. Please follow the instructions below for assistance with logging into the PlayOnline Viewer:

>Go to https://secure.square-enix.com and log in with your SQUARE ENIX ID
    - If you are already logged in, log out and log back in.
    - Write down the ID located at the top of the page. This is your [SQUARE ENIX ID].
    - Write down the password, this is your [SQUARE ENIX Password].

>Click on the FINAL FANTASY XI option. (The blue/white button)
    - Write down the PlayOnline ID displayed that you wish to play on (4 uppercase letters followed by 4 numbers). This is your [PlayOnline ID].
    - Next to the PlayOnline ID, click "Options List."
    - Click on "Update PlayOnline Password."
    - Write down this password, label it as your [PlayOnline ID password].

>Launch the PlayOnline Viewer. Go to the page that says [Log In], [Settings], [Delete], and [Back]
    - Click on [Settings], delete the [PlayOnline ID], [PlayOnline Password], [Member Password], and [SQUARE ENIX ID]
    - Enter in all the information you have written down in their respective areas.
    - If you have linked a Security or Software token to your SQUARE ENIX Account, set [One-Time Password] to use
    - LEAVE THE [MEMBER PASSWORD] FIELD BLANK. You will not need this.
    - Press [OK].

>Choose [Log In]
    - Use [SQUARE ENIX ID] and [SQUARE ENIX PASSWORD] TO LOG IN
    - If One-Time Password is set to use, please use your token to generate a one-time password.

Thank you,
    Jon
    SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
    (don't use the old discs or an installer you downloaded more than a year? ago). and then it should work.
    Actually, I just downloaded the files a few days ago, which seems to be the problem.

What I ended up doing was to purchase the Vanadial Collection 2008 DVD, which is the latest collection I could find available to buy physically. I figure since their digital installs have so many problems (and I've never had these problems with physical disc installs) I could give it a try. So right now I am uninstalling everything in preparation for a clean install and will update how that goes.

The friend list error, I've never heard of that one, although it seems ignorable it could be related. You did link your POL ID to a Square Enix account right? At the POL Viewer login screen, it should say SQUARE ENIX ID instead of PlayOnline ID. If it says the latter, then you need to link your account to an SE account. You can't play the game until you do so.
    Oh yeah, my Play Online account is way older than the Square Enix account system, but in 2012 I associated them together. I wouldn't have been able to reactivate the account if they weren't associated. From within the Square Enix logged in I paid to continue my FFXI so it's currently active.

That said, the PlayOnline viewer did not have SquareEnix ID listed. It had PlayID listed. It didn't have any field to ask me for PlayOnline ID nor a place to ask for Square Enix password. That's probably also a problem that could have led to the current problem.
    (0)
    Last edited by Elliander; 11-05-2020 at 06:15 AM.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Elliander View Post
    That said, the PlayOnline viewer did not have SquareEnix ID listed. It had PlayID listed. It didn't have any field to ask me for PlayOnline ID nor a place to ask for Square Enix password. That's probably also a problem that could have led to the current problem.
    It should be under the PlayOnline Member Settings.

That is, from the screen where you have Member List and Exit Viewer etc., select the member you've created and want to use, and after that select Settings.

Here you must enter your Square Enix ID near the bottom for it to be used when logging in.

If this stuff is not present, the PlayOnline Viewer version is too old, which would be strange if you used the digital media available via the official site (the current version is '1.18.15e'), and it should automagically update itself.

Using older media only has the chance of having more problems due to Windows-limitations. :]
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Elliander
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 96
    I got it working. Contrary to the advice given in this thread, the problem was because of the downloaded version. (and contrary to the Square Enix help pages it has nothing to do with steam since I never installed a steam version) Disc versions are the only versions that have never given me problems. They install properly, update properly, and let me actually enter square enix ID and password properly. The online installer may be newer and faster, but it's prone to bugs that aren't a problem with disc based installs.

Steps I took to resolve, for the benefit of others who may find this page in the future:

1.) Uninstalled PlayOnline and FFXI completely.
    2.) Purchased Vana'diel collection 2008 PC DVD. ($12 on Amazon with free shipping)
    3.) Installed PlayOnline and Tetra Master.
    4.) Launched PlayOnline Viewer. Followed prompts to update it.
    5.) In Add member I added both my PlayOnline ID and Square Enix ID and used my PlayOnline password. I also made sure to select to use my one time password since I have a security token associated with my account. (NOTE: If you have a Security Token, but it's inactive, you'd choose no since it won't let you type leave the one time password blank otherwise)
    6.) Logged in, entering my SquareEnix password and one-time password at the prompt.
    7.) I accepted a revised member agreement (seeing that pop up was a good sign!)
    8.) After seeing no friends list errors (but did get a mail count error) and could actually see two friends online, I closed out and proceeded to install all the FFXI expansions.
    9.) Opened PlayOnline again WITHOUT overwriting dat files.
    10.) Went to FFXI and started update process. It worked without error. (Although it sucks to have to redownload 31034 files so slowly. Like, 14 hours slow. I wish there was an offline updater application to speed things up)
    11.) Around 5 hours into updating I got the following error:

Network Connection Error
    Error code:POL-2059
    Connection terminated or not available. Please try connecting again later or check cables, networking devices, and network settings.
    (Note that while this happened I was otherwise using the internet without difficulties, so the error was not in my own connection to the internet)

Clicking retry, it would recheck the files but then do it again. Then the version update failed. Turns out I was logged out and had to sign back in. (WORSE. UPDATE SYSTEM. EVER. Like, why do I have to maintain an active login session to finish an update!?)

Thankfully, after checking again, it seems to have continued where it left off instead of starting over. 10635 files to go.

12.) 3 hours later, same error... Update failed, had to log back in. Shortly after the update finished.

After all of the above, I was finally able to login successfully and play the game!

Side Note: "Check Files" in PlayOnline viewer doesn't show FFXI in it's drop down, even though it works, so that's not an indication of a problem apparently.
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Glad you got it to work!

I just tried a fresh install here, with media downloaded from the official website about a year ago, and after first launch of the PlayOnline Viewer, it indeed updates itself, and after that, gives the option to add a new PlayOnline Member and that screen does include the SqEXID area in the Settings. I'll download the files again later to see if they have changed (at least the 'FFXIFullSetup_EU.part1.exe' has not), but there's definitely something we don't know making this a mystery for the ages.

As for Check Files, for whatever reason FFXI seems to appear only after it has been updated (the new config utility has an option to trigger the check as well, but you'd need to update FFXI to get it first).

By the by, updating this install I did took around 40 minutes. It's no surprise it takes a while longer to update from a 2008 state, as it will download all of Adoulin and whatever else has been implemented in the last 12 or more years. The main issue here is of course the fact that they still throttle the download speeds due to... you know it, PS2-limitations (or at least that's my excuse).

In any case, welcome back!

Regarding Tetra Master, the files for it remain and there's no way to get rid of them as they're part of the POL install. It doesn't take up any meaningful amount of space so nothing to be concerned with.
    This is actually no longer the case with the downloaded, more up-to-date media (that is, it's not being installed any longer).
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    it 100% is. You have to save your Playonline info at the playonline start screen (select your user and then click settings). If you don't save it, you can't use the SE ID and you have to to play.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-07-2020 at 06:00 AM.