Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Player

Is it time to do away with a "permanent" record?

On FFXI, we have one warning ban and then the next is a perma ban. This made sense many years ago when the rules were made but do they now?

Considering this game is nearly 20 years old, is this really fair and does the company really want to lose people that have played that long that are not bad people? Considering you can get a temp ban for killing or even annoying a RMT or bot or being edgy in shout 19 years ago? You can literally get a temp ban for warping a bot or RMT job point seller.

Is there any possibility this can bet set to the last few years or something to be more fair to players that have spent large portions of their life playing this game and still do? Many of us were teenagers when we started playing this game and 20 years is a long long time, the way we acted when we were 14 is not how we would act now.

Is there any possibility one of the community team can suggest this or promote the idea to someone that can make a decision on it?

I'm all for one a warning and then a ban but that one warning lasting 20+ years is totally unfair considering you can get a ban for very minor things and there is little in the way of appealing a ban (from what i read).

We have played this game since we were teenagers, our accounts mean a lot to us and this rule is not fair at all. Please consider, passing this idea along to someone that can make a decision on it community team!
    (4)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The rule is quite simple.......... Don't cheat... Don't cheat and you won't have anything to worry about.
    (2)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    The rule is quite simple.......... Don't cheat... Don't cheat and you won't have anything to worry about.
    I don't think you understand how it works.

You can get a ban from saying a bad word in yell, you can get a ban for annoying someone like talking their mob if they are AOE killing (I know people who got a temp ban for pulling a monster from an AOE farmer - "harassment"), you can get a ban from MPK a bot or RMT, you can get a ban for joining their party selling job points and warping them, you can get a ban from being lewd in say when you were 14. You can get a ban from other things than cheating and considering many of us were teenagers when this game came out and were a lot more stupid back then it's unfair to have a one strike and you're out policy that lasts 20+ years.

Especially since they don't have a very good appeal system.
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    I don't think you understand how it works.
    I don't think you do.

Everything you mentioned is stated in the Terms of Service as something you shouldn't do - so don't do it. It's that simple, follow the rules, and you have nothing to worry about.
    If anything, SE should be coming down harder on people who choose to violate them.
    (3)

Player
    It. Is. A. Game. There shouldn't be permanent records at all.

Imagine being banned for life from owning a super nintendo for using a gameshark. That's really stupid.
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    Imagine being banned for life from owning a super nintendo for using a gameshark. That's really stupid.
    Not really sure how you can compare a mostly offline single player console from the 90's to an online MMO.

Obviously in an MMO there are other people around. By people cheating gives them an advantage and has a detrimental effect on the people around them.

Like I said, it is all in the ToS that you agree to when you play the game. What you determine as 'really stupid' or not is really a null point.
    (1)

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    We're talking about a video game. There shouldn't be permanent bans for anything that isn't actually illegal in the countries the game is hosted to.
    RMT either is or should be illegal.
    Doing some major hacks to wreak havoc on the game can be viewed as an attack on the company and they should be able to sue for damages.

The punishment needs to match the crime. for current policy of in-game repercussions in real world terms: RMT= capitol punishment; bad words=1~2 jail sentances w/o parole followed by capitol punishment; dupe/exploit = 0~1 jail sentence w/o parole followed by capitol punishment.
    Your record is permanent, bad words 15 years ago, 5 years ago, and today? bye
    As for real world repercussions: RMT = cost of a new account; bad words = cost of a new account; dupe/exploit = cost of a new account.
    (1)
    Last edited by Voidstorm; 09-29-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I don't think you do.

Everything you mentioned is stated in the Terms of Service as something you shouldn't do - so don't do it. It's that simple, follow the rules, and you have nothing to worry about.
    If anything, SE should be coming down harder on people who choose to violate them.
    Have you ever been a teenager? I ask because I'm really not sure.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Have you ever been a teenager? I ask because I'm really not sure.
    No, I haven't... I was born a full blown adult.
    (3)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 09-29-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidstorm View Post
    The punishment needs to match the crime.
    I highly doubt people are banned because of a few bad words in yell (unless they really do cross the line).
    In reality we are looking at people who use automation, the bending of game mechanics, and damage the game for other people around them in the process.
    If people are willing to take that risk, then they must face the consequences.

A leopard rarely changes its spots...

SE already have that kind of system in place, temporary bans for 'light offenses' and permanent bans for offenses considered 'game breaking', or 'damaging to others'.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 09-29-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast