World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 50

PlayOnline Closes Nearly Immediately

Thread Title:
    PlayOnline closes nearly immediately on launch

Details:
    I just resubbed and was attempting to get everything running on a new machine, but the PlayOnline window closes almost immediately upon launch. I have both the Steam Version and the version from the official website. See steps below.

Steps:
    I've installed the Steam version, uninstalled, deleted all the files, tried reinstalling again (reboots between each). I uninstalled that, deleted all files, and then attempted to use the official installer. Rebooted, same result.

Date & Time:
    Happens 100% of the time. Most recent was a few minutes ago.

Frequency:
    1. Always

Platform:
    Windows 10

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Lenovo E595 -> AMD Ryzen 7

Operating System:
    Windows 10

Graphics Card:
    AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 10 Graphics; the PlayOnline viewer config System Information application indicates:
    Unknown AuthenticAMD Processor

ISP:
    Utopia/XMission

Type of Internet Connection:
    Fiber

A few sidenotes: I am not using any 3rd party utilities. Just vanilla FFXI. I have all Win10 Updates. I've tried running in various types of compatibility modes. I have the most up-to-date driver for the GPU. Running out of things to try!
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Hello,

One thing that might be worth checking is legacy support, and to try with Directplay ON.

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On/Off. Try ticking this (in case it is not ticked at all).

Then trying running FFXI.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Talagand
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 50
    Forgot to mention I tried that. I didn't even know the game would run w/o that. Pulled my hair out a few years ago when I switched to Win 10 over that one!
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Have you checked that all your drivers (graphics etc.) are up to date?
    (0)

Character
    Talagand
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 50
    Yep! Everything is up-to-date. Windows Update and AMD both indicate I have the most recent drivers. Interestingly... I'm able to run it in a Win10 VM on the same machine. It's a little bit choppy, but otherwise okay although obviously it woudl be ideal not to run a VM on a laptop lol I suspect its an issue with the GPU given that it runs with the CPU alone in the VM on the same machine but with VMWare drivers. Real noggin' scratcher.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Talagand View Post
    Yep! Everything is up-to-date. Windows Update and AMD both indicate I have the most recent drivers. Interestingly... I'm able to run it in a Win10 VM on the same machine. It's a little bit choppy, but otherwise okay although obviously it woudl be ideal not to run a VM on a laptop lol I suspect its an issue with the GPU given that it runs with the CPU alone in the VM on the same machine but with VMWare drivers. Real noggin' scratcher.
    May be worth just rolling back the graphics card drivers, and see if that makes a difference, as a test.
    (0)

Character
    Caerdydd
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 40
    Did you ever get this sorted? I'm having exactly the same problem and I tried a bunch of compatibility options but nothing. I'm using an old laptop but it ran the benchmark program fine so it should run it
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    If you're using any external tools try running playonline without them. Also if you installed the game in a non-standard location, try u sing the default install location.I've heard of issues like this because the client doesn't have write access to the folder it's in. Also try running as administrator. It's not supposed to be necessary but the option is a quick fix for a lot of things.
    (0)

Greetings fellow adventurer,

We would like to further assist with this matter. Please provide the following information:

1) How many hard drives do you have on the computer? How much total space and free space are available for the drives? Please clarify.

2) Have you tried right clicking the PlayOnline Viewer and using the "Run As Admin" option?

3) Do you have any firewall or anti-virus software installed on the machine? If so, which ones?

4) The issue may be related to directX. Please go to microsoft.com and download/install the Direct X Web Installer if you haven't done so.

5) Try running the machine in clean boot startup within msconfig and enable only Windows components and Final Fantasy XI related software to run so there is no other background programs running that may interfere.

We look forward to your reply back.

Thank you for visiting the Final Fantasy XI Technical Support Forums!
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    A little late to the party aren't we?
    (0)