Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Player RhizzaeCathedral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Character
    Rhizzae
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

    Old Vet/New Returning Player LF LS

    Hey Guys and Gals,

    Starting off, I just transferred here to escape Asura. I wanted a smaller more tight community, and Asura well... Shout equates to Merc Spam, and I mean spam to the point of having to turn shouts off. Then if you do shout for members for anything you get the very common (10mil do you have it?) responses. This post was originally for Asura as I mention it in my post. Anyways...

    Names Rhizzae and I started ffxi pre-COP Era, played 18 hours a day for about 7 years then felt the game had changed far to much to my liking and sadly put it down. I recently re-bought the game about a year or more so ago, played for a bit; got a few 99's and had fun but the lack of any community kind of killed it for me. Not to mention the merc spam in chat all day. Made me feel kinda dirty. Ah the good ol days when you had to earn what you wanted. *mumbles like a grumpy old man* That's neither here nor there. So I put it down again. The free login campaign, and new content brought me back and loving the game again. (Good bye Asura /yell off)

    However I feel completely lost, and no matter how many guides I read my social anxiety in this, Merc world makes it hard for me to find friendly players to do things with. I have the general idea on "how to" but accomplishing certain things just seems daunting. I'm a 40 year old man with a bit of time on his sleeve and just looking for a friendly crowd to play with.

    Sorry about how diluted this post got, but I appreciate if you read it all.

    Rhizzae~

    99 SMN THF DNC BLU BST PUP GEO RDM PLD
    (2)
    Last edited by RhizzaeCathedral; 08-27-2020 at 06:06 AM.

  2. #2
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    7,413
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Well, I for one applaud your decision

    As I've said on other threads, my advice is to peruse the various Linkshell Concierge NPCs, you can find linkshells that are looking for members with these. Each Concierge has a different designated linkshell purpose, so you'll want to check all of them since some may have many and others may have none. By tracking down the notable linkshell(s) for NA players you'll be able to get stuff done without mercing.
    (2)

  3. #3
    Player RhizzaeCathedral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Character
    Rhizzae
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Yes sir, and appreciate your feedback. Reason I post this, or (very rarely) shout, when there is such thing as that; is it feels so impersonal. I've run Linkshells, Guilds, FC's for the last 18 years, and I personally like to talk to the person in charge before joining. Yes I know I can just chuck the linkshell as fast as I picked it up but I just like to know what I am in for before picking up some random LS called WeebosUnited.
    (1)

  4. #4
    Player Sirmarki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,229
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RhizzaeCathedral View Post
    I just transferred here to escape Asura. I wanted a smaller more tight community, and Asura well... Shout equates to Merc Spam, and I mean spam to the point of having to turn shouts off.
    I said it at the very start that mercing will eventually kill off this server (and eventually the game?) also factoring in JP bot/RMT that have manifested out of control. Why do I think it has killed it off? People take the easy option and buy from mercs and JP sellers. The option is there for them to do so, so they take it. What they don't realise though is that this is a completely self defeating task.

    Out side of the spamfest and toxic yells, Asura, despite is numbers on paper is as lonely as any other server with 1/5th of the population. This is evident in the complete lack of content yells we see.

    I mean during the height of a CP campaign, people struggle to get other people to join. Why? Because people take the easy option of paying 2-4m for 500JP from a bunch of the hundreds of different bots thoughout the gates areas.
    Why do content with other players when you can just buy it from mercs? Mercs that bend game mechanics and for the most part break many parts of the ToS.

    It's a total mess.

    The only way to enjoy the game is to join good linkshell which in itself is no easy feat to find these days. Outside of that, it can be a very lonely experience.
    (3)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 08-24-2020 at 12:45 AM.

    Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

  5. #5
    Player RhizzaeCathedral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Character
    Rhizzae
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I said it at the very start that mercing will eventually kill off this server (and eventually the game?) also factoring in JP bot/RMT that have manifested out of control. Why do I think it has killed it off? People take the easy option and buy from mercs and JP sellers. The option is there for them to do so, so they take it. What they don't realise though is that this is a completely self defeating task.

    Out side of the spamfest and toxic yells, Asura, despite is numbers on paper is as lonely as any other server with 1/5th of the population. This is evident in the complete lack of content yells we see.

    I mean during the height of a CP campaign, people struggle to get other people to join. Why? Because people take the easy option of paying 2-4m for 500JP from a bunch of the hundreds of different bots thoughout the gates areas.
    Why do content with other players when you can just buy it from mercs? Mercs that bend game mechanics and for the most part break many parts of the ToS.

    It's a total mess.

    The only way to enjoy the game is to join good linkshell which in itself is no easy feat to find these days. Outside of that, it can be a very lonely experience.
    The crazy part is, since coming here I've only seen one Merc Shout (for 8 mil 500 JP) also no PL shouts., and I'd say 9 out of 10 players aren't even job mastered, which is high weird for me considering on Asura it was the opposite. Granted there isn't a lot of content shouts either besides a few JP things going. Either way, I've been able to do a bunch of stuff I couldn't do on Asura because everywhere was poluted with Merc Bots, or RMT.
    (2)

  6. #6
    Player Sirmarki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,229
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RhizzaeCathedral View Post
    The crazy part is, since coming here I've only seen one Merc Shout (for 8 mil 500 JP) also no PL shouts., and I'd say 9 out of 10 players aren't even job mastered, which is high weird for me considering on Asura it was the opposite. Granted there isn't a lot of content shouts either besides a few JP things going. Either way, I've been able to do a bunch of stuff I couldn't do on Asura because everywhere was poluted with Merc Bots, or RMT.
    Yep. Mastered on Asura doesn't mean anything. I spoke to a player the other day who has now mastered RDM, yet never played it once. They have spent most of their time in Dho Gates getting JP'ed by what I can only assume are one of the many bot parties, and PL'ed by pretty much another more than likely bot party.

    Take a trip to Dho Gates on Asura. Every single piece of ground where there are monsters follows the same narrative - 3 bot players on top of each other repeating killing monsters, while 3 players who have paid for Job Point's stand there and get all those wonderful Job Points while they sleep.
    (3)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 08-24-2020 at 01:38 AM.

    Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

  7. #7
    Player RhizzaeCathedral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    6
    Character
    Rhizzae
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Oh I get it, trust me. In the few months I played on Asura, part of me was glad to be back in XI, but at the same time; feeling rather lost and disgusted. I'm not one to pounce on people for playing the way they want, and I can understand both sides of the tale. Where JP in most cases, killing 1 million mobs doesn't teach you your job, but at the same time... I came from a XI where most of your time spent was leveling. Took me 7 Month to hit 75 on my first Job, SMN. Granted it got a bit quicker after that cause I learned to form my own parties but, whatever.

    I got tired of trying to find camps where I didn't have to fight 19 bot JP parties and constantly fighting over mobs.
    (2)

  8. #8
    Player Alhanelem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok
    Posts
    7,413
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RhizzaeCathedral View Post
    Yes sir, and appreciate your feedback. Reason I post this, or (very rarely) shout, when there is such thing as that; is it feels so impersonal. I've run Linkshells, Guilds, FC's for the last 18 years, and I personally like to talk to the person in charge before joining. Yes I know I can just chuck the linkshell as fast as I picked it up but I just like to know what I am in for before picking up some random LS called WeebosUnited.
    I think you should just see it as a welcoming invitation; however, it would be a nice feature if the menu added the ability to contact the linkshell owner.
    (1)