Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Gregalenxi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

For the love of Altana, fix fishing skillups

Ok I capped my cooking skill to 110 and started leveling fishing. I've been following all of the community feedback about which rods/bait to use for skillups. I've been doing this now for 3 weeks and I've only gotten to skill lv 30....30....

ANY other crafts I can max out to 70 in 2 days...but fishing takes 3 weeks to only get to skill 30?

Add in that the 1 item that you can get (aside from food item) to help increase the gain rate on it is damn near impossible to get (Pelican Ring) and ONLY comes from either Mog Tablet or from log in points.

Can you PLEASE adjust the rate in which skill gain is given at lower levels like other crafts??? Been playing this game for almost 17 years and never thought I would disappointed and disgusted at the rate of gain.
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Pelican ring doesn't just come from those events. It comes from taking part in the fishing competition reaching at least rank 20.

Fishing wasn't seen as a main craft, it was a sideline to crafting. What is the rush?
    (1)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Fishing was treated as more of a hobby and not so much as a craft. Taht's part of why it's not subject to teh same restrictions. Fishing has always been the slowest thing to level up, and the only thing there is to help that is the skill-up campaigns.
    (0)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    I don't agree with Alhanelem. You can do Fishing 1-100 in 3 weeks. You need to choose fish to catch that are 8-10 skill levels above your current skill. Once you've gained ~5-10 levels of skill, you look for the next fish to catch and move on. This is what I did:

Fishing
    0-10 moat carp! (caps at 11)
    10-26 Cheval salmon (E.Ronfaure, caps at 21)
    tricolored carp (E. Ronfaure caps at 27)
    26-28 giant catfish (Zehruhn Mines (Bridge) with minnow, caps at 31)
    28-38 Nosteau herring (Port Jeuno, Airship area, shrimp lure, caps at 39 )
    38-46 Istakoz (also Istridye 53, Robber Rig, Nashmau)
    52-61 Trumpet Shell Vunker Inlet (S) to level 58 https://www.ffxiah.com/item/5466/trumpet-shell robber rig lushangs
    58-86 Ahtapot/Mercanbiligi using Shangs + Shrimp Lure
    86-99 Pterygotus
    99-108 Armored pisces to 108
    108-110 Cave cherax to 110
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    I don't agree with Alhanelem. You can do Fishing 1-100 in 3 weeks.
    I doubt that. Even fishing to the cap daily (which takes a while), I don't think you can go 1-100 in 3 weeks.
    (1)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I doubt that. Even fishing to the cap daily (which takes a while), I don't think you can go 1-100 in 3 weeks.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but my primary reason for posting was to sharing my experience and how I did it (specifically, which fish I sought after). Granted this was a 3-4 years ago...but I don't think fishing skill up rates was changed by SE in that time.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion, but my primary reason for posting was to sharing my experience and how I did it (specifically, which fish I sought after). Granted this was a 3-4 years ago...but I don't think fishing skill up rates was changed by SE in that time.
    Not really an opinion, more the fact I levelled fishing and have everything in relation to fishing (Ebisu rod+1 etc etc.) You must have been fishing around 4 hours a day?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't agree with Alhanelem.
    What do you mean you don't agree with me? I never specified an exact time period, only that fishing is the slowest craft. Which it is, you can't disagree with me, it's a fact unless you count chocobo digging, maybe, which isn't an "official" craft. The fact that you can do it in 3 weeks is irrelevant, you can do any other craft faster than that if you have the gil/items to get there.
    (0)

Character
    Sueno
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I am still new to fishing(lvl15), but from what I have experienced so far, your skill up rate is dependent on the rod you use. I started with halcyon rod,like every online guide suggest,and the skill up rate was very bad. I then did some of the roe for fishing and got free poles. I tried them and started getting skill up more often. I then figured out that your skill up rate is dependent on how weak your pole is. You break them but you get faster skill up(makes sence that you would gain more skill using a weaker rod). The willow rod seems to have the skill up rate just like a normal craft. There is not much I could find about the different rods online,and there must be hidden effects on them. If the dev's want to give us more info on this,or let us know what the hidden effects are,it would be very appreciated.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I don't remember rods having such an effect, or ever noticed that they might, but I can't say for sure that they don't. Normally I'd just use a Halcyon for the small fish, and a Composite for the big fish if I didn't have a Lu Shang's or Ebisu yet.

I do believe it's more about just being random, and perhaps even the moon phase, time of day, or/and the direction you're looking at... okay no, not that last one.

(See also: Thread: Fishing System Renovation)

In any case, with a Pelican Ring or two, in addition to the Fisherman's Feast food, I feel it's pretty quick now to get to above level 80 and start going for the Lik (took me about two months without going at it as much as I could (this being the third time ever that I'm going for level 110 fishing and such)).

Edit: Oh and I think I would recommend getting a Lu Shang's, one way or the other, right at the start so that the Tenacity RoEs can be worked on while working on the skill level.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 04-27-2022 at 04:09 AM.
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast