Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

Linkshell: Sort Link List Alphabetically

The Link List is using the ??? sort method to order character names, which is apparently intentional [1], and I would like to hereby suggest changing it to alphabetical sort instead.

Motivation for this suggestion is that it would probably feel more natural to the user, along with making more sense in general, and it would make the list consistent with other lists that deal with character names (what the '/search' command returns for example).

I don't remember when this started, but I'm pretty sure it used to be alphabetical. Perhaps it was when the dual linkshell feature was implemented back in 2015 [2], or perhaps it always was like it is right now, and my memories have been altered.

A super minor "nice to have" to be sure, but still a nice to have, I think. I do understand, sort of, if it is too much work to change at this point in time.

Thanks!

1. https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57031
    2. https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/45721
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Unnecessary waste of dev time, regardless of the amount of work. Almost nobody has enough linkshells that they can't just see them all on one screen anyway, this change doesn't serve anything other than to cure OCD.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Dragoy, how populated is your Linkshell ?
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Unnecessary waste of dev time, regardless of the amount of work. Almost nobody has enough linkshells that they can't just see them all on one screen anyway, this change doesn't serve anything other than to cure OCD.
    Try reading the OP again, carefully. Specifically, the first line.
    (1)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Try reading the OP again, carefully. Specifically, the first line.
    I did. It doesn't change anything? It reads exactly the same as the first time I read it.

If you mean the user list, rather than the linkshell list ("Link list" = ? To me it's the linkshell menu), That would be a little more useful, though I still don't think it's really worth.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 08-07-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Dragoy, how populated is your Linkshell ? :)
    Depends on the Linkshell and, to some extent, the time of year.

Sometimes it takes just two characters, but I do admit I tend to notice this more on Asura (not that I spend /too/ much time there). :]

If you mean the user list, rather than the linkshell list ("Link list" = ? To me it's the linkshell menu), That would be a little more useful, though I still don't think it's really worth.
    You've got it! If you look at the game menu tree, you click on 'Link List' to get to the character list.

Linkshells, Pearlsacks, and Linkpearls are sorted as they are sorted in the character's inventory, which I do like. I have not been able to figure out by what logic the characters are.

I do wonder a little if the bug report I wrote might have been interpreted as being about the Linkshell list, which I did consider a possibility already when typing it out...
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

I did. It doesn't change anything? It reads exactly the same as the first time I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    The Link List is using the ??? sort method to order character names,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    ...sort...character names...
    Are you SURE you read it? Twice?

Edit: To actually contribute, if you do "/sea all linkshell" or "/sea all linkshell2" it sorts the results by name.
    (1)
    Last edited by Catmato; 08-07-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    It's your server.