Character
    Funkworkz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99

Large list of errors

We have a large list of English client localization errors here: https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/55156/localization-errors-typos-english-client/#3533407

Item IDs are included for convenience. As they are fixed, I will remove them from this link.
    (4)

Greetings and salutations,

Thank you again for your continued feedback on FFXI! We've passed the information off to our localization team and have received the following response to share with you today.

Good day, adventurers!
    Neil from FFXI Localization here.

I wanted to take the time to thank you all for this wonderfully comprehensive list of various typographical issues. Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the difficulties and confusion that these issues have caused you, particularly those that have been in the game for some time. A number of these are relatively quick fixes, whereas others require careful confirmation before I can push a fix live. However, we are correcting many issues—particularly weapon and armor help text—in the October 2020 version update. I will be getting to the more complicated ones in the months ahead.

Your passion for FFXI and desire to see Vana’diel shine continues to amaze me even after having worked on this game for many years. Thank you for continued support, and I hope that you continue to enjoy the wonderful experiences that the team has in store.

Again, many thanks for catching, documenting, and providing us with this feedback. Please feel free to relay these messages to the contributors on FFXIAH!
    (8)

Character
    Funkworkz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Thank you for all of these fixes Neil, we all appreciate the work.

The original post linked to above has been updated, and the fixed items were removed. Please be sure to check again for more errors that are being reported by community members.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    It would be nice if these issues were posted here, preferably not as a one large list, but perhaps that's just me.

It would also be nice if other reports related to localisation enjoyed some attention as well, some of which have been reported for years.

Regardless, it's nice to see things getting fixed, so thank you all for that!

As a sidey-note, there totally is a 'u' in 'smouldering' in English [1][2]. If memory serves me right-like, the use of UK and US spelling has been somewhat inconsistent in places over the years, and while there already are a few other items using the spelling without the 'u', there still is the enemy called 'Smouldering Dahak', which I imagine might cause more work if it were to be changed than if the item names would all use the form with the 'u'.

I'm pretty sure the localisation team is aware though, and they've decided to go with what they've decided to go with. :]

1. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/smouldering
    2. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/smouldering
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    US English usually deletes the more-or-less silent U in words like these. Most of the time the game seems to be using US English though sometimes rest-of-the-world English does slip in. FFXIV on the other hand, really mixes it together, especially with a lot of the NPCs using archaic terminology like "pray" instead of "please."

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/smoldering?s=t
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 10-17-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Character
    Funkworkz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Bumping in hopes of getting more of these issues addressed. We added many more since we first made the list, and removed the ones that were fixed.
    (0)

Character
    Hikarushi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Seeing community rep response on this thread initially filled me with hope that we are finally reaching them, only to realize that it was 4 months ago...

Anyway, since this thread is about localization errors. Odyssey related equipment purchase option on Odyssey moogle NPC shows completely blank option instead of "Atonement 3". This has most likely been mentioned on above mentioned ffxiah thread as well. Please re-investigate localization errors and why they have gotten considerably worse lately. Odyssey menu translations alone were left unfixed for 3 months straight!
    (1)

Character
    Funkworkz
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Thank you for the errors fixed this month! I updated the thread I linked to.
    (0)