Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Wolfee
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Money is fungible. There, I've said (and agreed) with everything Alhanelem said. And he's right. Business don't funnel anything. They make money, they look at the money they have (and perhaps what their expected inflow is, but again as an aggregate and not from individual sources), and they decide how to make more. Where the first money came from really isn't a question on how they spend it later. If they thought investing more in FFXI would yield more profit they would. They don't. They think FFXI with the budget it has is the best they can do with the game in the current market. If the profit from the game ever gets close to where they might see a loss they will likely stop the game before that happens. How close they let that get before they pull the plug depends how risk averse they are/how greedy they are to drain every drop they can. The only other factor that could come into play is if they felt FFXI might compete and harm a new project's potential, but that seems really unlikely. Why lose an old customer still making you money if you're not sure they will switch to your new drug?
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Faladrin View Post
    Money is fungible. There, I've said (and agreed) with everything Alhanelem said. And he's right. Business don't funnel anything. They make money, they look at the money they have (and perhaps what their expected inflow is, but again as an aggregate and not from individual sources), and they decide how to make more. Where the first money came from really isn't a question on how they spend it later. If they thought investing more in FFXI would yield more profit they would. They don't. They think FFXI with the budget it has is the best they can do with the game in the current market. If the profit from the game ever gets close to where they might see a loss they will likely stop the game before that happens. How close they let that get before they pull the plug depends how risk averse they are/how greedy they are to drain every drop they can. The only other factor that could come into play is if they felt FFXI might compete and harm a new project's potential, but that seems really unlikely. Why lose an old customer still making you money if you're not sure they will switch to your new drug?
    My point was simply that it's not the big grand scheme that veterans salty about FFXIV think it is. It's just standard business fare, there wasn't like some big concious decision to screw over FFXI players as hard as they could or something like that. And in th e years that followed, they're like "wow, people are still playing this," and well, here we are.
    (1)

Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    My point was simply that it's not the big grand scheme that veterans salty about FFXIV think it is. It's just standard business fare, there wasn't like some big concious decision to screw over FFXI players as hard as they could or something like that. And in th e years that followed, they're like "wow, people are still playing this," and well, here we are.
    I agree, I tried XIV. I like the look and how interactive the crafting was but that is it. XI has better everything else. On a business stand point I get why SE isn't developing the mobile game themselves. It spreads their workers too thin-ly? Thin. XIV make alot of money for the masses because of how "Streamlined it is". I would rather XI stay the same mechanically than pander to the masses. XI should stay hard for the veterans and focus on the people who love the game as it is.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoore View Post
    I agree, I tried XIV. I like the look and how interactive the crafting was but that is it. XI has better everything else. On a business stand point I get why SE isn't developing the mobile game themselves. It spreads their workers too thin-ly? Thin. XIV make alot of money for the masses because of how "Streamlined it is". I would rather XI stay the same mechanically than pander to the masses. XI should stay hard for the veterans and focus on the people who love the game as it is.
    The two main things that are keeping me playing right now-
    Deep Dungeon solo challenge- that is climbing the floors of Palace of the Dead or Heaven-on-High entirely solo without a party (There's a special achievement for this, one of the rarest in the game, that's how hard it is)
    and PvP. As not that great as it is, I like the action and streaming it has been good for my twitch channel lol. Plus its fun to show off the prizes for making the rankings that ppl who don't do PvP can't get.

I'd honestly like the game a lot more if the open world was more important, because it really isn't unless you're gathering or going through the story. FFXI's world is far more worth exploring, and there's hidden stuff all over the place, quests make you think (sometimes), decision making on gear is usually more complex than "is it the highest iLvl?", and so on.

I pay subs for both. I really wish they'd bring back the discount they offered for subscribing to both during FFXIV's "whoops, we really screwed up" days. I see people discuss FFXI on a regular basis, particularly in the novice network, and if they lowered this barrier to entry, it might get more people to try it.
    (2)

Character
    Siegmont
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 90
    So here is a new qustion: Would it be easier to rebuild from scratch or Remake the game through XIV's graphics engine?
    (0)
    Last edited by Ultimoore; 08-01-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Player
    Firstly, if they "remade FFXI in the XIV engine" then it would not be FFXI anymore. The nuances of the game are so ingrained into us that changes would be like vinegar in your coffee, also many people who play this game have older computers and this would effectively cut a large % of people from playing.

The most important factor though, is this. If Square Enix gave the developers 40-50 million to remake FFXI, it would not be remade as we have it now because video games are a business. They would demand things in return for that money, this would mean a cash shop (yes they would add that), this would mean a dungeon finder, this would mean many things that would ruin the game for us. Also the modern sensibilities of current gen developers are different from the people who made this, if they spent 40 million remaking the game they would aim it at current gen gamers and not us who have been playing for 10-20 years.

Keep in mind that many of the developers who made FFXIV were ex FFXI developers even, so even the same people can make something you don't like if given another shot. If they remade FFXI you would probably hate it.

Just be happy the game is still here and being updated, 5 years ago we were all worried they would shut it down.
    (1)

7. 08-04-2020 04:07 AM

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Firstly, if they "remade FFXI in the XIV engine" then it would not be FFXI anymore.
    Engine does not dicate gameplay. You can have the same gameplay in a modern engine.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I think they should also consider doing what FFXIV just did and make the base game (+zilart, because that was base for us) free to play up to 75. (FFXIV just made its free trial encompass all of the original game and the first expansion where it was previously much more limited. There is no time limit on the free trial)
    (0)

Character
    Rufuso
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Engine does not dicate gameplay. You can have the same gameplay in a modern engine.
    THAT I agree with.
    (1)
    OWellowell /signed

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I admit i'm a little concerned about free trial abuse with what they're doing in FFXIV, but all the usual free trial restrictions still apply, like no sending tells or using the markets.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2