Character
    Deelight
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    THF Lv 74

FFXI LS vs FFXIV FC: Why Can't LS adopt Evolved Standards?

One of the things that absolutely frustrates me about FFXI has always been the LS setup and static rules applied. When FFXIV came out, it was like they perfected the fluid and transferable ownership, but never thought to go back to FFXI and fix it there too.

If you are in an old LS from 2004 and the owner leaves the game... too bad so sad, your hands are tied unless you want to lose the sentimentality and hard work of the LS to create a new one. Let's not forget that in a dying game (in terms of server populations), creating a new LS is just pointless.

Now, looking at FC in FFXIV, you can have ownership passed to the most current active player. This allows a FC to not wither and die. Sure, there can be issues with the wrong person gaining control, but hopefully you let the right ones in to start.

Now, going back to FFXI, if someone is messing around with an LS in 2020 that no longer has a pearl holder, there is absolutely no recourse for a player/sack holder in the eyes of SE. You are considered a 3rd party informant and they can do nothing but tell you to leave the LS, blist any players, and come here to the forum board (per GM Zeigunav).

In essence, they will do nothing and you get punished because another player can break LS rules/guidelines without any adverse recourse. A player can water down an LS message with their own beliefs, but SE let's it go because they never evolved their policies to conform to much different gamer landscape from the 2003/2004 years.

While I understand FFXIV isn't a perfect system, it makes more sense for a game like FFXI to adopt some similar policies rather than let its dwindling fan base continue to find more things to be disappointed about. That leads to a lot more players moving to private servers or leaving the game all together.

I know, even though the GM told me to add my "feedback" to the forum, this will fall on SE's deaf ears, but at least they can't say I didn't follow their instructions to the letter.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Let's not forget that in a dying game (in terms of server populations), creating a new LS is just pointless.
    You are clearly on the wrong server.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

I'd just like to point out that this forum is intended for feedback regarding the websites, not the game. A better place would be under English Forums/Gameplay/Other. :]

(It's very common for users to not notice this due to how the forums have been named/laid out.)

As for the topic, yeah, the Linkshell system certainly could use some tweaks, and who knows, maybe there will be a time and place for it. I do suspect it may also be "too much work" as so many other things in the game are at this time.
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

4. 07-13-2020 05:35 AM
    Reason
    Anew start

I doubt there will be any major changes to the linkshell system. They originally thought it impossible to show the Linkshell Message for Linkshell2, so I doubt they'd really want to dig into the spaghetti code of such an old system.
    (0)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    You are clearly on the wrong server.
    Any server besides Asura is the right server.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Any server besides Asura is the right server.
    Obviously not in Anonymouse's case!
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.