Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Player

Regarding the new and returning players chat channel

vxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    pXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    SHOP4ugil: ACT NOW, 10m for $50.
    Fxx: Help? do you need it? 1m gil
    qxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    wXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    exx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    rfagsasgaXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    txsawtwayx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    wagawgXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    Newplayer: can anyone tell me how to unlock trusts?
    zawgawgxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    xXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    fxwagawgx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    gawagXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    awgaghxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    jawgagXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    kawgagxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    lXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!
    uxx: JOB POINTS DO YOU NEED IT? 10 MILLION GIL!
    iXX: XP 1 to 99, do you need it? 5 M gil!

Unless you intend to put some kind of moderation or spam guards on blatant repeat tells, don't even bother.
    (2)

Character
    Cliche
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 75
    Really they should set /Yell to Off by default, for new players.
    What is amazing, is the complete lack of moderation. I had to turn off /Yell because it was out of control here on Asura.
    (1)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by BST View Post
    Really they should set /Yell to Off by default, for new players.
    What is amazing, is the complete lack of moderation. I had to turn off /Yell because it was out of control here on Asura.
    I agree. If you create a system of open chat, it needs moderation or it becomes chaotic (I know that, being a moderator of forums before). I have a full /blist. I've accepted I can't do anything about Job Point seller /yell's.
    If my Linkshell is quiet at the time, I need to look at /yell for things to do. The other day another Asura argument broke out on current political and other related issues in the world - I logged out. The thing is, it is
    normally the same people who spark it off. I've seen some pretty bad comments from these individuals too and no action appears to have ever been taken against them, so they just carry on doing what they do.
    (1)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 07-11-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Player
    For anyone that missed it, the developers are adding a brand new chat channel purely for new and returning players so we can help them.

I'm pointing out what is going to fill that channel if they aren't careful
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    For anyone that missed it, the developers are adding a brand new chat channel purely for new and returning players so we can help them.

I'm pointing out what is going to fill that channel if they aren't careful
    I can tell you already:

New player: "Can anybody help me get a Ginsen please"?
    Longtime player "2 Million gil, Do you have it?"
    (0)

Player
    The problem you have is expecting people to do content for you so you can get the drops for free, instead of setting up a party to do it and asking people to join.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    The problem you have is expecting people to do content for you so you can get the drops for free, instead of setting up a party to do it and asking people to join.

I do my own content and am in an event LS. I have never used any "merc".... I hate the concept of it.

You know what the new channel is going to be like, it's going to be the same as the yell channel - full of mercs and job point sellers.. Why do you think it will be any different?

Here is a fresh reminder, that I took just now, also bear in mind that my blist is full (100/100).

(0)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 07-12-2020 at 02:25 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    in FFXIV the newcomer chat is player moderated and this has *mostly* worked out well:

Players have to have jobs in different roles to max level, or a craft and a gathering job to max level and completed the MSQ and a certain amount of other content to be mentors. (I forget what FFXI's mentor requirements are)
    New players have to be invited into the channel by mentors. the search function facilitates this and new players have an icon by their names. This helps for mentors to avoid inviting obvious RMT bots into the channel, and this has (mostly) worked. Disruptive players can be temp-kicked from the channel; mentors can kick newbs for a short time and each other for longer. Abuse of the kick function is a reportable offense, though at most this results in loss of mentor status.

The invitation requirement is key to keeping the channel clean of bots. It would also go along way if they just madfe a quick and easy report feature for bots. A few years back we got a context menu in the full screen log window that allows you to do various things by selecting a line with a player's chat in it. If they just added a "Report to STF" button to that menu, that would at least trivialize the reporting process enough to get people to do it since the perception of the playerbase is reporting rarely does anything in the best of times.

In FFXIV mentorship grants access to an additional daily random content queue that specifically matches you with players who are doing something for the first time. Perhaps some sort of incentive program to help new/returning players instead of milking them for every gil to their name would be of some help here as well.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 07-14-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Player
    That sounds good but I'm not sure FFXI has the infrastructure in place to do something like that, maybe though. Maybe it will work like a linkshell where mentors can invite people into it and kick. We will see I guess.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    That sounds good but I'm not sure FFXI has the infrastructure in place to do something like that, maybe though. Maybe it will work like a linkshell where mentors can invite people into it and kick. We will see I guess.
    The only infrastructure that doesn't currently exist is the chat channel itself. FFXIV has a /sea command that works much like the one here. FFXI already has a system that can show certain icons on the player's nameplate. chat channel invites could be like friend requests or party invites.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast