Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: THIS HAS TO END

Player
    how do u even chat in chinese anyways? not sure u can type chinese alphabet in FF11... :?
    (0)

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    Yes, anyone can setup a yell bot and anyone can have alts botting. Actual players do that, shocking I know.
    No, not "anyone can setup a yell bot" ... nor "anyone can have alts botting."
    Only those people playing against the TOS using 3rd party outside software to run that bot can do it.
    I use the vanilla in-game program only, and there is NO WAY for someone to make a 24/7 in-game yell bot with the ONLY LEGAL version of the game.
    (2)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzspdref View Post
    No, not "anyone can setup a yell bot" ... nor "anyone can have alts botting."
    Only those people playing against the TOS using 3rd party outside software to run that bot can do it.
    I use the vanilla in-game program only, and there is NO WAY for someone to make a 24/7 in-game yell bot with the ONLY LEGAL version of the game.
    Actually, many keyboards can be made to press a key at periodic intervals right on the keyboard without even installing anything. So no, you don't really need third party tools to spam a chat macro. The gaming keyboards many of us have been using for years can do that. Are you going to brand people cheaters just for having modern gaming hardware?
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-11-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Actually, many keyboards can be made to press a key at periodic intervals right on the keyboard without even installing anything. So no, you don't really need third party tools to spam a chat macro. The gaming keyboards many of us have been using for years can do that. Are you going to brand people cheaters just for having modern gaming hardware?
    Just because it's hardware rather than software doesn't mean it's not a 3rd party tool. Any kind of automation that you can't do with in-game macros is a third party tool.
    (4)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Catmato View Post
    Just because it's hardware rather than software doesn't mean it's not a 3rd party tool. Any kind of automation that you can't do with in-game macros is a third party tool.
    Then they'll have to ban me for owning a gaming keyboard. Which literally no other PC game in existence would consider cheating. Sounds fair. And that gaming mouse? OMG, i've got a super duper gameplay advantage over you with that!

This is ignoring the fact that if you have nothing better to do you can just press macros yourself. The method witch which people spurt inane chat macros doesn't change how annoying or not annoying they are. There is also no way for you to legitimately distinguish someone automatically spamming a macro and manually doing so other than irregularity in frequency. using /wait commands you can repeat the same thing three times with a single macro. So I guess you're telling me you're totally fine with chat spam as long as they're not using a keyboard or a program to do it? (The reality is, chat spam is against the rules whether you're automating it or not)

If you think the community shouldn't be able to come up with reasonable QOL improvements when SE won't or isn't able to, then man, I hope you never play WoW, where you're literally expected to have custom UIs to play. Most guilds won't even let you join them if you don't have one (or assume you're bad because you're not tracking your DPS).

You have to look at the spirit of the rule, not just the letter. I'm totally okay with people using UI mods and such. That doesn't mean I'm okay with cheating, like speed hacking or teleporting around the map. There is a clear difference between those things. Someone with less than great vision might use an external tool to make the HP bars bigger or a different color because SE never bothered to implement accessibility options for people with poor vision or color blindness. Are you going to report people for that? I'm curious for what your case is that those people are hurting your gameplay experience. Many people like these aren't looking for a gameplay advantage, they're looking to be able to play in spite of physical disabilities.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-11-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Then they'll have to ban me for owning a gaming keyboard. Which literally no other PC game in existence would consider cheating. Sounds fair. And that gaming mouse? OMG, i've got a super duper gameplay advantage over you with that!
    Sarcasm aside, I'm not sure if you're just acting daft, but owning a keyboard with macro capabilities doesn't violate the ToS; using it to gain an advantage over other players, such as the previous example of infinitely spamming /yell, does.

Alternatively, look at it this way. I have Cheat Engine installed on my PC. That doesn't violate SE's ToS because I'm not using it to modify FFXI or bypass its limits. You can have and use a g15 keyboard without violating the ToS until you use it, for example, to bypass the game's 6 line macro limit. Once you use the g15 to repeat functions or automate a macro, you're using a 3rd party tool and are violating the ToS.

This is ignoring the fact that if you have nothing better to do you can just press macros yourself. The method witch which people spurt inane chat macros doesn't change how annoying or not annoying they are. There is also no way for you to legitimately distinguish someone automatically spamming a macro and manually doing so other than irregularity in frequency. using /wait commands you can repeat the same thing three times with a single macro. So I guess you're telling me you're totally fine with chat spam as long as they're not using a keyboard or a program to do it? (The reality is, chat spam is against the rules whether you're automating it or not)
    The difference is that you actually have to be at the PC to press the macro to yell. If you're using a 3rd party tool, you can spam your macro 24/7, both annoying people who don't want to see it and giving you an unfair advantage over people who aren't cheating. If you aren't cheating, you have to be there to press the macro again, taking breaks as a real human would.
    I hope you never play WoW, where you're literally expected to have custom UIs to play.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't WoW officially support add-ons? If so, that's a completely disingenuous comparison.

Are you going to report people for that? I'm curious for what your case is that those people are hurting your gameplay experience. Many people like these aren't looking for a gameplay advantage, they're looking to be able to play in spite of physical disabilities.
    I'm not reporting anyone for anything. I don't care if you need a schoolgirl outfit mod, a colorblind mod, an assistive controller, a script that yells at every opportunity, or scripts that change 90 pieces of gear for every action; it's none of my business. Don't put words in my mouth and don't try to turn a discussion about what is and isn't against the ToS into a personal attack on me.
    (3)
    It's your server.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The difference is that you actually have to be at the PC to press the macro to yell.
    If you think this never happens, well, it does happen. People manually use /yell and /shout macros all the time for recruitment or trying to buy/sell stuff. Multitasking is a thing. Press your chat marco, tab to web browser, tab back to game and press it again. Of course, 15+ years ago it wasn't possible. So at least they eventually let us window the game without tools.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't WoW officially support add-ons? If so, that's a completely disingenuous comparison.
    "officially support" in the sense that it's not a TOS violation. But their GMs nor tech support will help you if it breaks anything. Which it absolutely can.

I just really don't like the whole holier-than-thou vibe I got from your comments on this subject. Maybe that really isn't your intent, but that's how it came off to me. But at least you can draw a distinction from outright cheating (i.e. cheatengine) and quality-of-life / accessibility improvements. and I think SE looks at these things in context (and considers spirit and not just letter of the rule) as well.

FFXIV does this as well. The producer himself has gone on the record saying he doesn't have much of an issue with people using things like parsers or stat tracking for self improvement, even though it's *technically* against the TOS. They generally only take action if such tools are used to harass/harm others i.e. being toxic towards another player for putting out lower DPS than you'd like)

Originally, FFXIV was going to allow UI modding (and the built in UI is built with LUA script), but they ended up just investing their energy in continually improving and expanding the flexibility of the UI, which is vastly more customizable than WoW's built in UI.

This is something that the FFXI devs never handled very well, which is why UI mod tools exist. If they actually listened to the feedback back in the day (and/or actually implemented the New UI they started but never finished), most of the people who use those things probably wouldn't find them necessary.

But it's too late for that now. UI improvements would likely require too much dev time and would compromise the release of new content. I wish I could time warp back to when we had the test server, got more people to try it and convince SE se to have kept working on it.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. I probably overreacted and I'm sorry for that.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-11-2021 at 06:34 PM.

8. 01-17-2021 12:37 AM

Character
    Starhopper
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbinT View Post
    how do u even chat in chinese anyways? not sure u can type chinese alphabet in FF11... :?
    Mostly with pinyin.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Although FFXI is a computer game, and relies on modern technology, it is still fundamentally a *game*, no different to classic ancient games such as chess or card games.

When a person agrees to play a game, they are accepting a challenge, and they are accepting the rules of the game.

If a person is not playing by the rules of a game, they are not actually playing the game at all, merely cheating.

FFXI has strict game rules, and this is one of the reasons why FFXI is a Classic Game.

Among FFXI's strict game rules, are rules against "third party software" and the buying / selling of in-game currency, Gil.

If a person is using *any* third party software, or buying / selling *any* Gil, that person is no longer playing the FFXI game by the game's strict rules, and imho they are no longer playing FFXI at all, but rather they are playing a desecrated and defiled and insulting parody of the magnificent game called FFXI.

When the FFXI Team does not have time or resources to Police the violations of game rules, specifically use of third party software, buying / selling Gil, etc. it must fall on players themselves to clean up the game, at least to the best possible extent.

If no players bought Gil, if no players used third party software, then those problems would not exist.

As an individual, you can contribute to cleaning up the game, by strictly playing by the game's rules. Don't use third party software, and don't buy Gil. Encourage other players, especially new players, to do the same.

By simply taking this stance, on an individual level, of playing the game by the actual rules of the game, you just made the world a better place.
    (3)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    FFXI has strict game rules, and this is one of the reasons why FFXI is a Classic Game.

Among FFXI's strict game rules, are rules against "third party software" and the buying / selling of in-game currency, Gil.
    While I would agree with the notion that FFXI is "classic", it isn't classic by virtue of having rules.

--Disclaimer, I know you were more focused on the RMT issue, but since you mentioned rules in a general sense, I feel like the content of this post still applies. --

Also, its important to remember that the spirit of the rule is generally more important than the letter. The spirit of the rules on third party tools and programs is that in a multiplayer environment, certain things that can potentially be done with outside intervention may give players an unfair advantage. Note that the word "may" is important there. I believe SE doesn't really want to keep people from playing the game purely because of the rules, and this is why they are unlikely to act on things like making UI elements easier to read, or other accessibility/QoL type improvements.

Inflexibly forcing the rules by letter only serves no one. When an apparent violation of a rule (any rule) is apparent, the proper course is to analyze the situation and determine if following the letter of the rule seems appropriate, or if no actual harm is being caused and the spirit of the rule is being adhered to.

In much fewer words, there's a difference between people *actually cheating* and people with good intentions trying to ensure a good experience for themselves and the others that my interact with them.

And in short: I don't feel that following the rules strictly to the letter makes the world a better place. The world and everything in it exists on a spectrum, not in black and white.

And I resent the implication that me using an overlay to make the HP bars bigger so I can see them clearly with my less than stellar vision, would be "cheating." This wouldn't so I can have an advantage, this would be just so I can play the game.

Note that FFXIV has a multitude of interface options and adjustments available so that this can be achieved without external tools. I find it highly unlikely that SE is going to punish something like this. Accessibility is important and something that the original FFXI team apparently never planned for.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-04-2021 at 05:35 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6