Character
    Misstic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 7

Key Assignment

Hi there,

I am a returning player who is excited to explore the Vana'diel again!

However, I am having trouble setting up my keybindings. I have my Keyboard Size set to Compact 2, but when I change the Movement or Commands in the Key Assignment section, they don't actually work.

For example, when I try to change Confirm from [Y] to [E] it remains the default set up and when I press E it does nothing.

Would someone be able to help me successfully set up my key bindings?

Thank you!
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Welcome back to Vana'diel!

I don't remember there being a way to change the hard-wired keys for the compact layouts, but I believe you can use the ctrl or alt modifier keys along with a shortcut key to have them work as specified under 'Key Assignment'.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Misstic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoy View Post
    Welcome back to Vana'diel!

I don't remember there being a way to change the hard-wired keys for the compact layouts, but I believe you can use the ctrl or alt modifier keys along with a shortcut key to have them work as specified under 'Key Assignment'.
    Thank you for your response.

On here: https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Main_Menu/Config

Under Misc. 2: "Key Assignment - Allows you to manually assign keyboard commands."

And other players on other forums talk about it, but I am having trouble getting it to work for me.

However, after play8ing for a couple of hours last night I got used to the keyboard mechanics, I just hate having to tab cycle for something that is right in front me sometimes. Especially when a mob attacks and I am not directly looking at it.

Again, thank you.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    yeah, far as I know you can't rebind the compact layouts. Even though those are infinitely better and more in line with what today's gamers are used to (WASD IJKL instead of arrow keys and number pad)
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Misstic View Post
    Under Misc. 2: "Key Assignment - Allows you to manually assign keyboard commands."

And other players on other forums talk about it, but I am having trouble getting it to work for me.
    Yeah, they do change the bindings for the commands you can use with the ctrl/alt modifiers (that is, if you set 'E' for 'Confirm', hitting 'ctrl+e' should do it).

Quote Originally Posted by Misstic View Post
    I just hate having to tab cycle for something that is right in front me sometimes. Especially when a mob attacks and I am not directly looking at it.
    The 'F8' key may help a bit with that, but it's not perfect either.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 06-14-2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Add the 'F8' bit that was initially forgotten.

Character
    Misstic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 7
    Thank you very much Dragoy & Alhanelem.

The F8 works wonderfully for targetting the closest thing. I just can't seem to get the ctrl modifier to work.

Oh well, I am actually loving the keyboard style, it's super unique and offers a unique feel for the whole game.
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Do the modifiers do nothing at all, or the keys are not changing with them either?

For example by default, just now, with 'Compact 2' I have the equipment window opening with 'ctrl+e' and if I change it to confirm, it does seem to work.

As a bonus, if someone ever wondered what it would be like to have slippery ground mechanics in this game, I imagine it would be something like what happens when running and changing directions while holding down the shift key (while using the third-person camera view).
    (0)