Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Character
    Thatos
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    While I agree with a cap, I believe this amount chosen is too low. just 1 fill up a week makes it so you don't need to do much of anything to cap weekly, and hitting 100k unity accolades takes maybe 30 minutes (with sparks taking roughly double)

I understand slowing down gil generation, and hurting the bots, but as someone who is getting back in to this game looking for a way to grind out money for the millions of things I need, this hurts significantly.
    (1)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Neogon View Post
    Firstly, I provided proof (or do you really believe RMT only sticks to a single account? lawl), not speculation; and secondly, if Facebook, the biggest cybersecurity nightmare to ever exist (and that is not an over-exaggeration either), isn't willing to to fix their security, then have nearly 2 billion people still using it then how can you count on the majority of people having proper security in place? You cannot; the mass majority of people wouldn't know how to keep themselves secure if it hit them on the head.

(Ironically, while Facebook is a cybersecurity nightmare with exploit after exploit - all of which I and others like me can remember pointing out from as far back as Facebook's beta phase - it was Google that canceled its social network due to only one major exploit. The same major exploit they had managed to patch out several months before its actual cancellation, despite the fact that G+ never had a history of exploits.)
    I really dont see how its worth it for RMT to make more accounts to bot for sparks/accolades anymore. Even if they have all the possible 16 characters leveled up to 99 and cap exchanges on all of them every week, which would be significantly more work for them already, with the imposed limits I cant see how it would be worth it for them to do this.
    (0)

Character
    Vysundra
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    I really dont see how its worth it for RMT to make more accounts to bot for sparks/accolades anymore. Even if they have all the possible 16 characters leveled up to 99 and cap exchanges on all of them every week, which would be significantly more work for them already, with the imposed limits I cant see how it would be worth it for them to do this.
    Sure, but does that even hurt them compared to the average player they're marketing to? I'm still going to say, no (if for another reason that I did not bring up: an average player does not have the logistics to get things done as efficiently as RMT), which is what ultimately matters to the customer when MMO publishers play these little wargames: whether or not it affects them enough to get them to buy the in-game currency or to quit. Not being one myself, I can certainly pick out the people that I personally do know will suffer from this and I won't be surprised if they quit. (And that's another thing; it'll only affect average not even on Asure.

Thank you, however, for providing an argument instead of just trying to dismiss it by saying "that's just speculation" or "we should wait instead of speculating".
    (0)
    Last edited by Neogon; 06-11-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Firstly, I provided proof (or do you really believe RMT only sticks to a single account? lawl), not speculation; and secondly, if Facebook, the biggest cybersecurity nightmare to ever exist (and that is not an over-exaggeration either), isn't willing to to fix their security, then have nearly 2 billion people still using it then how can you count on the majority of people having proper security in place? You cannot; the mass majority of people wouldn't know how to keep themselves secure if it hit them on the head.
    I didn't see any proof? Facebook doesn't have a Securekey. I have a physical key. obviously something that can't be accessed unless someone actually grabbed it off my desk.

With regards to RMT making multiple accounts - it would have to be financially viable for them to do so. This game charges the 'market rate' for subscription, yet has a lot less subs than other titles.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    I think the limits don't affect me much, but it would indeed be nice if they made them not affect the non-sellables, such as the Capacity Ring, as others have pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    With regards to RMT making multiple accounts - it would have to be financially viable for them to do so.
    Sometimes I wonder if they even actually pay, or if the accounts only get suspended due to a charge-back or stolen credit card info and what have you. Never researched this topic, but that's something I've wondered about a bit. They probably wouldn't have time to do much if anything with such tactics though.

They probably do pay at least for the accounts that they use to level up their minions (I've been keeping an eye on a few of such characters for a time now).

I'd also imagine them to rather go somewhere else, than start putting effort into stealing account credentials, which seems like it might be a lot more work for them. Could be very wrong of course.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Thank you, however, for providing an argument instead of just trying to dismiss it by saying "that's just speculation" or "we should wait instead of speculating".
    You know I was referring to 'wait and see' with reference to the long/short-term result of what happens when it comes to the capping of sparks/unity. Right?
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Player
    Sure, but does that even hurt them compared to the average player they're marketing to? I'm still going to say, no (if for another reason that I did not bring up: an average player does not have the logistics to get things done as efficiently as RMT), which is what ultimately matters to the customer when MMO publishers play these little wargames: whether or not it affects them enough to get them to buy the in-game currency or to quit. Not being one myself, I can certainly pick out the people that I personally do know will suffer from this and I won't be surprised if they quit. (And that's another thing; it'll only affect average not even on Asure.

I'm so sorry, I am having trouble understanding what you are saying. However; I do think it is hurting RMT a lot at the moment. If you just search for ffxi gil, you'll see that gil prices were around $0.25/1 million gil, now they are between $1-5/1million gil. I cannot imagine being into this game so much that it was worth $100 minimum for a SU5 weapon (let alone how much it cost to upgrade it). There might be some people willing to pay those prices, but not many. I think with all the hacks (crafting/duping) they have caught lately and then throwing this in too, we will probably see a lot less of the RMT. They will move to another game or stop. It is possible they will move on to doing something different, but the amount of bots running constantly that will be gone now, is a QoL improvement for me. If anyone from SE wants to know where these sites are, please check your report RMT request or just do a simple google search.
    (0)

Character
    Vysundra
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I didn't see any proof?
    The very guideline I showed was proof (re: proof; not evidence).

Facebook doesn't have a Securekey. I have a physical key. obviously something that can't be accessed unless someone actually grabbed it off my desk.
    Yeah, which further proves the fact most people give no shit about security.

Just consider the fact that Facebook passwords have been saved in plain text ever since it went into beta over 14 years ago (even then, we knew plain text was a bad solution), and they're most likely still saved to plain text, yet somehow two billion people have continued to use it. If people cared about security, Facebook would never have made it past beta. (Then on top of that, for years there was a way to glitch the Display Preview into hacking someone else's account.)

Then, on top of that, there's the fact that the majority of people still fall for phishing scams despite the fact that phishing is the most renown scam on the internet, and the cherry on top: people still wind up giving their passwords to complete strangers who claim to be admins even when it's written in big, bold letters that: "WE DO NOT ASK FOR YOUR PASSWORD OR ACCOUNT INFORMATION."

(Oh, and while I'm at it, you can bet that there are numerous high-profile officials who continue to hold insecure passwords to their primary email like, p@ssw0rd...)

So again, how can you possibly expect other people to take proper security measures?

And you talk about OTP; I use 2FA and 30 to 80-character passwords for everything. Hell, you wouldn't find my real name anywhere on the internet; any search for it will bring back an obituary as the first result; a Facebook account that doesn't belong to me for the second; and one of the most renown film directors for the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockhart View Post
    If you just search for ffxi gil, you'll see that gil prices were around $0.25/1 million gil, now they are between $1-5/1million gil.
    That's not even remotely a noticeable difference. I remember back when 1 million gil cost $25, and yeah, you can bet your ass that it was worth it to a lot of people.

I cannot imagine being into this game so much that it was worth $100 minimum for a SU5 weapon (let alone how much it cost to upgrade it).
    Sounds like a steal to me. For someone working, say, $5/hr, that'd only be 20 hours of labor when getting an SU5 is going to take a lot longer by any legit means. Since most people in the U.S. do not even work that low, it becomes an even bigger steal.
    (1)
    Last edited by Neogon; 06-12-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Character
    Rebelyell
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Sounds like a steal to me. For someone working, say, $5/hr, that'd only be 20 hours of labor when getting an SU5 is going to take a lot longer by any legit means. Since most people in the U.S. do not even work that low, it becomes an even bigger steal.
    Why bother playing the game at all at that point? 10-35 dollars for the game, 12-15 dollars a month, plus anything extra like mog lockers on top of whatever gil you buy sounds like a rip off. It is akin to using a gameshark back in the nes/snes days. Sure it's fun for a bit to have everything handed to you but then what do you do next? At that point just save yourself a ton of cash and look at the cutscenes online, that only costs whatever you pay for internet!
    (3)

Character
    Vysundra
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I do apologize for the late response, so forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolodex View Post
    Why bother playing the game at all at that point? 10-35 dollars for the game, 12-15 dollars a month, plus anything extra like mog lockers on top of whatever gil you buy sounds like a rip off. It is akin to using a gameshark back in the nes/snes days. Sure it's fun for a bit to have everything handed to you but then what do you do next? At that point just save yourself a ton of cash and look at the cutscenes online, that only costs whatever you pay for internet!
    What do you know about hard work? You sure do talk an awful lot about being handed everything in such a small post.
    (0)
    Last edited by Neogon; 06-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast