Character
    Kets
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Connection issues

Details & Steps:
    For the past week, I've had some connection issues that would result in R0/Reddotting and occasionally disconnecting from FFXI. Other people from Europe seem to have similar problems, last night in Dyna-D we lost 7 people, all from europe, at once.

Today, I cannot login at all, I'm getting connection issue errors: POL-1160, POL-0011, almost never get past those two.

The forums and account management are occasionally not available to connect to either. I needed several tries to post this. No problems with anything else.

Date & Time:
    Right now

Frequency:
    Always

PC Manufacturer & Model Number:
    Homebuilt

Operating System:
    Windows 10

Graphics Card:
    PNY GTX1060

ISP:
    Vodafone

Type of Internet Connection:
    Cable

Character:
    Ketsui on Sylph Server
    (3)
    Last edited by Lutia; 06-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Player
    Same here, also on Vodafone. I had those two errors + POL-2059 on the night of 28/5, by morning things were fine, but since last night I can't log in again.
    In Germany as well.
    (0)
    Last edited by Shiamano; 06-01-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Same here.
    POL-0011 / Not possible to login.
    Based in Cologne, Germany.
    (0)

Character
    Kets
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    From networking view, it seems the problems start once the packets go into Cogent's network, resulting in 80-90% packet loss. Unfortunately, Cogent is not Vodafone's direct peering partner, so trying to open a ticket at Vodafone will be pointless.

Regardless, I've sent an E-Mail to Cogent Europe, asking to check their network in Amsterdam and whatever is beyond, as I can't see it. Ticket ID is HD11155648.
    (2)
    Last edited by Lutia; 06-01-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Thanks Lutia!

I have no idea how to track the connection, but very clear that this only applies to FFXI and nothing else.
    Wondering if some data protection rule kicked in as of June 1st in Europe?
    (0)

Character
    Kets
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I don't think any data protection rule (I don't even know which one you're talking about) would take out certain peering between europe and asia - and happen completely unnoticed at the same time.

Just as few examples:
    If I trace to yahoo.co.jp, which is also located in Tokyo, Vodafone's peering partner Cable & Wireless forwards it to IIJ (Internet Initiative Japan) and the connection is fine.
    Tracing to Livedoor.com, also Tokyo, Cable & Wireless forwards to NTT, and its also fine.

Fortunately, after some search, I found another endpoint (www.nli-research.co.jp) that uses a Cogent path from europe - and that site is also "almost" unreachable. So I'm pretty sure the issue is at Cogent and nowhere else.
    (2)

Character
    Mijime
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Just want to chime in on this.

I've been having the same issues with intermittent disconnects over the past week to the point where I just can not log in at all since this morning.
    It's a continuous steam of POL-0011 and POL-1160 errors, and when I do manage to get through PlayOnline and try to sign into character, it just kicks me out straight after.

My ISP is Ziggo in NL, and when I trace to 202.67.54.52 the connection goes through a number of Vodafone servers (213.51.195.197 / 213.51.158.110 / 213.51.64.186) before connecting to cogentco hubs. After that it just turns sour and the average response time increases up to 326ms. I tried to connect and trace to the Mana datacenter for FFXIV and that's giving me the same problems.

I tried a tracert on yahoo.co.jp and that for me is almost as bad, with times starting around 100ms and then maintaining a 300ms average. Tracing livedoor.com completely times out for me.

This is pretty bad and infuriating ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    (1)

Character
    Kets
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    ICMP Response Time is pretty irrelevant when you trace to Japan, so you shouldn't be looking at them, take a look at the packet loss instead. There's hops that block ICMP completely, resulting in 100% loss, those can be ignored. It only gets interesting when you get inconsistent answers to your ICMP packets, which is the case in Cogent's Network at the moment.
    (1)

Character
    Mrrshan
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Just wanted to know if any other has seen any improvement?
    Here the story is the same still.. POL-0011, FFXI-3001 etc etc error codes.

Edit: It is rather frustrating - Especially since it seems like there is nowhere to go and ask for "official" help. I start to wonder if SE finally just gave up on Europe in general.
    (0)
    Last edited by Travmac; 06-01-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Character
    Leonor
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 1
    Same here in NL. Sometimes I get as far as downloading data after character selection, but that's about it.
    (0)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast