Player

A basic failing of equip sets.

Equip sets are a great feature most of the time, however they have a pretty fundamental failing. They don't have a priority system.

Lets say I'm on WHM and I have a macro using equipsets, the first line equips my potency set, then the 2nd line casts the spell then after a /wait 2 it equips my refresh gear.

If I press the macro, and then press it again too quickly if will very often not equip my potency gear gear at all, they interrupted each other.

The equipset system needs a priority system, or a specific set idle set that automatically equips after using a equip set.

The only way to guarantee an equip set works every time, is to have a specific macro to put your idle set on manually after every cast. Which is really tiring.
    (0)

Character
    Zenion
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    That one's not really on the equip sets. When you hit a macro, the game's executing all the commands in the macro in order. If you hit the macro again before that's done, well, gotta flush that last macro hit from memory to run the new one, or else risk some really stupid behavior (potentially unlimited action queues which could hypothetically be used for functional botting, or worse just cause enough input spam to destabilize the client.)

To have the game actually intelligently determine which set of equipment you want to be wearing at any given time, you would need some sort of, I dunno, gear swap management engine, which is certainly theoretically very very possible to implement, but not necessarily in a way that could be integrated with Final Fantasy XI's engine.

I mean, it would be really cool to have a prioritized tree of gear sets to use with each spell and have them micro-managed; it would especially be nice if this could be done in a way that would fix the horribly annoying "you can have quick magic or potency gear but not both" dilemma from equip set cooldowns. Moreover, it would be a move toward making vanilla FFXI do some of the things that people keep choosing modded FFXI for. But I think this is one of those issues where the devs are going to just lean toward "git gud", managing your own gear swapping is a part of the game.

Just be thankful you don't have to hit ten macros to execute the appropriate gear swaps for one command any more.
    (3)

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenion View Post
    Just be thankful you don't have to hit ten macros to execute the appropriate gear swaps for one command any more.
    I actually had to hit 4 macros back in the day to charm, and another 3 to swap back to standard gear. (75 cap era)
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenion View Post
    That one's not really on the equip sets. When you hit a macro, the game's executing all the commands in the macro in order. If you hit the macro again before that's done, well, gotta flush that last macro hit from memory to run the new one, or else risk some really stupid behavior (potentially unlimited action queues which could hypothetically be used for functional botting, or worse just cause enough input spam to destabilize the client.)

To have the game actually intelligently determine which set of equipment you want to be wearing at any given time, you would need some sort of, I dunno, gear swap management engine, which is certainly theoretically very very possible to implement, but not necessarily in a way that could be integrated with Final Fantasy XI's engine.

I mean, it would be really cool to have a prioritized tree of gear sets to use with each spell and have them micro-managed; it would especially be nice if this could be done in a way that would fix the horribly annoying "you can have quick magic or potency gear but not both" dilemma from equip set cooldowns. Moreover, it would be a move toward making vanilla FFXI do some of the things that people keep choosing modded FFXI for. But I think this is one of those issues where the devs are going to just lean toward "git gud", managing your own gear swapping is a part of the game.

I think what he means is if multiple such commands are being issued, the game should have a system to decide which one should be executed rather than not executing any of them.

That said, the reason it gives an error in the first place is to avoid unintended results or too much information. I agree that it's annoying, but it can be worked around once you're used to it.
    (0)

Character
    Zenion
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidstorm View Post
    I actually had to hit 4 macros back in the day to charm, and another 3 to swap back to standard gear. (75 cap era)
    Blood pact delay - Body, accessories, jewellery; Blood pact; Blood pact potency - Body, accessories, jewellery; Idle set - Body, accessories, jewellery.

Every. Single. Time.

I'm pretty sure I was changing enough gear for each step that I couldn't quite fit it into seven macros, I had to use all ten.
    (0)