Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matsui-P Trust.

Player

Matsui-P Trust.

I want to start by saying I have great respect for all the developers and greatly appreciate the time, effort and love they have for FFXI.

However isn't a it a bit odd to have a Trust in the game named after a developer? This would be like having an alien in Star Wars called the George Lucas.

Will the name at least be a little disguised to be more fitting with FFXI lore or will it be as on the nose as being called Matsui_P?

I know it might sound odd given there are players called pigfloatymcboatface but that's different than actual content and I think it would set a bad precedent.
    (7)

Character
    Vysundra
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I agree that it's bad precedent on the naming scheme, insofar as that goes. He should be given a more lore-appropriate name.
    (2)

Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I don't mind the name, I just hope he does not sit there saying he has no plans when you want him to participate in a battle.
    (9)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Normally I'd probably agree, but It seems to me like it's going to be a temporary-like thing, not unlike Cornelia ("Alter Ego Availability - From the December 2020 version update to the May 2021 version update"), in which case I don't think it's an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    I don't mind the name, I just hope he does not sit there saying he has no plans when you want him to participate in a battle.
    /em rushes to include that as an idea.
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Typral
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Well lets be honest, I think after ROV they stopped caring about overall lore. They added a crystal in Selbina with 0 explanation and it has access to battles that aren't even on the continent. Battle against Odin even though hes part of Aht Urghan primarily. Where did that crystal come from?

They also used the term "trash mobs" in their direct conversation with the public, so maybe they are going for a more laid back approach in terms of lore and design. I don't mind a funny idea like this, but I would rather they add more trusts that people have always wanted to see and play alongside.
    (1)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I'm not a fan of this trust naming scheme either, and agree that it sets an unpleasant precedent. No disrespect to Mr. Matsui whatsoever, but this doesn't really fit. There are lots of other NPCs out there that could be fun candidates for the Trust initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Typral View Post
    Well lets be honest, I think after ROV they stopped caring about overall lore.
    Agreed, and this is a trend that I'd like to see reversed. The text for Domain Invasion is also particularly jarring - "The boss battle will begin shortly." FFXI has never been the sort of game to break the fourth wall actually during content, and I don't like it. At least let us pretend that our daily DI fights aren't a soulless grind!

I understand that they're having to put things in less used zones to spread out the load, but a little tact would be nice. I'm not a fan of the Ambuscade model of content, but at least the entry process has a veil draped over it.
    (6)

Player
    Well lets be honest, I think after ROV they stopped caring about overall lore. They added a crystal in Selbina with 0 explanation and it has access to battles that aren't even on the continent. Battle against Odin even though hes part of Aht Urghan primarily. Where did that crystal come from?

They also used the term "trash mobs" in their direct conversation with the public, so maybe they are going for a more laid back approach in terms of lore and design. I don't mind a funny idea like this, but I would rather they add more trusts that people have always wanted to see and play alongside.
    Speaking personally I don't mind stuff like this, I would not complain if they added Apex mobs outside of Adoulin areas for example. There are levels to how far they relax it.

I'm ok with this kind relaxing of the lore to make the game more fun or to add some decent content, but adding an NPC named after a developer is a bit too far.

Also I think the "trash mobs" thing has nothing to do with the developers are everything to do with a translator that also works on FFXIV, which is very much like wow...which is why that kind of wording found its way there.
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    maybe they are going for a more laid back approach in terms of lore and design.
    It might just be an attempt at a modern twist on the title. Looking at the RoE quests, there are a few with 'tongue in cheek' titles. One example: "Signet, brb".
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    It might just be an attempt at a modern twist on the title. Looking at the RoE quests, there are a few with 'tongue in cheek' titles. One example: "Signet, brb".
    They've been "laid back" about the game since day one.... Have you ever done the Windurst line and been called "You're an S.O.B!" (Star Onion Brigade). There are many many more 'tongue-in-cheek' quips throughout the whole game.

Plus I don't mind Matsui-P. Heck with as much as he has done for the game, both good and others might say some bad, he deserves to be given his moment in the sun for us all to appreciate. Let him have his fun, and he might just be a fun trust to use! I mean Ygnas is a walking bundle of leaves and he's great!
    (0)

Character
    Poorenglish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    This happens all the time though, in movies, in games. Devs insert themselves they'll usually use a first name or nickname though. It happened in Breath of the Wild. Funny enough there's a running gag between Spielberg and Lucas where they will insert Easter eggs their films. IE the "ET" Alien in Starwars or C3PO in Indiana Jones.
    I wouldn't mind just a "Matsui" though.
    (0)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast