Player

Would the developers ever accept fan made textures for the game?

I know the developers not only make new textures now but also pay for contracted artists to make them too.

Would the developers ever consider using fan made ones if we offered the DDS textures for free use?
    (3)
    Last edited by Pixela; 04-27-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    I know the developers not only make new textures now but also pay for contracted artists to make them too.

Would the developers ever consider using fan made ones if we offered the DDS textures for free use?
    Most likely not, due to the fact that fan made textures are not restricted to certain size limit, potentially making them unsuitable for the game to run smoothly or within accepted limits.
    (0)

Character
    Catsgoncat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    I would like a buff Black hume texture like Ronnie Coleman but Balduran is right. I know seeing these races with different features than player characters have me thinking about the same thing Pixela. Character creation in general could use an upgrade, but unlikely. It would be cool if they added Beastman races with mount animations while using their default special move animations for job WS.

Pipe dream
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    No, they would never accept this, it would have to be done in house. But long as you don't tell anyone what you're doing and you dont do anything that impacts gameplay, what you do on your PC is your business.

But also, higher res textures would be a huge problem for the playonline update system, which is limited in speed. High res textures woudl dramatically increase the file sizes so updates would take forever.
    (0)

Player
    The sad thing is there are tools that players have made for free that the developers could use and they don't know about them.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    The sad thing is there are tools that players have made for free that the developers could use and they don't know about them.
    There are legal and other issues with big companies like SE soliciting and using stuff made from external sources- it's not as simple as you think. It's entirely possible they do know about them but fell they wouldn't be able to integrate it into their process or there is some legal reason why they can't.

This is the primary reason companies usually don't directly solicit and implement player suggestions on an individual basis, because there would have to be legal agreements (i.e. the person who made the thing has to give up all rights to the thing, and other various terms and stuffs etc.). They can poll the community as a group, because they don't have to credit or make an agreement with any one person, but they can't take suggestions from identified individuals for those legal reasons. Everything has to be vetted and verified before being placed into a commercial product.

For example, FFXIV has regularly held gear design contests. Legal agreements are entered to by the winners whom give up the rights to the art or whatever they created to SE, and they don't necessairly have to implement it exactly as you made it, this gives them the ability to ensure the designs work with everything, and frees them from the obligation of having to give you direct credit in game for the work.
    (1)