Character
    Minitayjr
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99

More job storage capacity

Just finished reading the latest Q7A with the developers. Why are they (and always have been) so against adding more storage space (such as more mog wardrobes). I know I would definitely pay to have more wardrobe space, and would definitely like to level more Jobs on my character.

I'm curious if it is a coding issue (as in it's not possible to code in more mog wardrobes), or (possibly the investment in time to add such things is prohibitive). Anyway bottom line I would love to see the addition of 1-2 more mog wardrobes even if I have to pay for them.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts on this are as well.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Pretty sure that they said they were pretty restricted as to what they can do with adding anymore storage.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    All inventory is loaded on every zone. For someone who has items in every bag, it takes 40-50 seconds for all items to load. Imagine starting an ambuscade or HTBF and you do a job ability, but the relic armor that augments your job ability hasn't loaded yet? You have effectively wasted your JA because the inventory hasn't loaded yet. (This is also verifiable, by the small inventory/sword icons spinning in the top right of your screen, when you zone into a new zone). Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

I play 10-14 jobs, well geared and the lack of inventory space if a huge problem for me too. I think SE needs to do something about the loading times as well as increase storage. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of options:

1.) Data stored by key items
    2.) Data stored by items
    3.) Data stored by items with EXT fields (storage slips, augments, etc).
    4.) Increase number of containers that can store items.
    5.) Make some containers only available in mog house or wardrobe?
    6.) Increase packet length from 200 bytes to something ....larger.

SE has options but they all come with pros and cons. Unfortunately (again), SE said in the latest Q&A they they don't even have dedicated engineers for this game.

It makes me very sad as whole, especially since last May, they said they now have 2 dedicated developers....I guess that did not last very long.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    All inventory is loaded on every zone. For someone who has items in every bag, it takes 40-50 seconds for all items to load. Imagine starting an ambuscade or HTBF and you do a job ability, but the relic armor that augments your job ability hasn't loaded yet? You have effectively wasted your JA because the inventory hasn't loaded yet. (This is also verifiable, by the small inventory/sword icons spinning in the top right of your screen, when you zone into a new zone). Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

I play 10-14 jobs, well geared and the lack of inventory space if a huge problem for me too. I think SE needs to do something about the loading times as well as increase storage. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of options:

1.) Data stored by key items
    2.) Data stored by items
    3.) Data stored by items with EXT fields (storage slips, augments, etc).
    4.) Increase number of containers that can store items.
    5.) Make some containers only available in mog house or wardrobe?
    6.) Increase packet length from 200 bytes to something ....larger.

SE has options but they all come with pros and cons. Unfortunately (again), SE said in the latest Q&A they they don't even have dedicated engineers for this game.

It makes me very sad as whole, especially since last May, they said they now have 2 dedicated developers....I guess that did not last very long.
    Developers != Engineers. Anyone who works on the game is technically a developer. An engineer is is really a programmer/scripter/someone who works with the guts of things. Something they have limited ability to do, especially without them currently having access to the limited working dev hardware.

Basically all new content and features in the game today and henceforth are in some way derivative of existing content/functionality/etc, using the engine's scripting system for quests/menus/giving items/etc. Everything that has been made in the last several years has been made this way, leveraging existing engine features and assets, with few clear exceptions.

Because of this though, they don't need engineers for a lot of things: Creating new items, quests, battle contents, etc, can all mostly be done without any programming because they just utilize existing functionality.

The game having been developed entirely on PS2 dev kits really hamstrung the game in ways that extend far beyond the later dropping of ps2 support, because there are a lot of things to do with the game that they simply can't do without them- and this may even be one of the reasons they say they don't have snapshots of the early years of the game in order to do something like a classic server.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-19-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Fanfest answered this
    https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...996#post624996

Quote Originally Posted by Zhexos View Post
    Fujito: Systematically, this is possible to add additional Mog Wardrobes. However, doing this will require additional data communication to occur; therefore it would be impossible to do. We're currently looking into ways to expand the amount of storage; however, we cannot answer when this would be possible at the moment.
    (0)
    Last edited by VoiceMemo; 04-19-2020 at 11:26 AM.