Character
    Minitayjr
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99

More job storage capacity

Just finished reading the latest Q7A with the developers. Why are they (and always have been) so against adding more storage space (such as more mog wardrobes). I know I would definitely pay to have more wardrobe space, and would definitely like to level more Jobs on my character.

I'm curious if it is a coding issue (as in it's not possible to code in more mog wardrobes), or (possibly the investment in time to add such things is prohibitive). Anyway bottom line I would love to see the addition of 1-2 more mog wardrobes even if I have to pay for them.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts on this are as well.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Pretty sure that they said they were pretty restricted as to what they can do with adding anymore storage.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    All inventory is loaded on every zone. For someone who has items in every bag, it takes 40-50 seconds for all items to load. Imagine starting an ambuscade or HTBF and you do a job ability, but the relic armor that augments your job ability hasn't loaded yet? You have effectively wasted your JA because the inventory hasn't loaded yet. (This is also verifiable, by the small inventory/sword icons spinning in the top right of your screen, when you zone into a new zone). Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

I play 10-14 jobs, well geared and the lack of inventory space if a huge problem for me too. I think SE needs to do something about the loading times as well as increase storage. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of options:

1.) Data stored by key items
    2.) Data stored by items
    3.) Data stored by items with EXT fields (storage slips, augments, etc).
    4.) Increase number of containers that can store items.
    5.) Make some containers only available in mog house or wardrobe?
    6.) Increase packet length from 200 bytes to something ....larger.

SE has options but they all come with pros and cons. Unfortunately (again), SE said in the latest Q&A they they don't even have dedicated engineers for this game.

It makes me very sad as whole, especially since last May, they said they now have 2 dedicated developers....I guess that did not last very long.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    All inventory is loaded on every zone. For someone who has items in every bag, it takes 40-50 seconds for all items to load. Imagine starting an ambuscade or HTBF and you do a job ability, but the relic armor that augments your job ability hasn't loaded yet? You have effectively wasted your JA because the inventory hasn't loaded yet. (This is also verifiable, by the small inventory/sword icons spinning in the top right of your screen, when you zone into a new zone). Give it a try, you'll see what I mean.

I play 10-14 jobs, well geared and the lack of inventory space if a huge problem for me too. I think SE needs to do something about the loading times as well as increase storage. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of options:

1.) Data stored by key items
    2.) Data stored by items
    3.) Data stored by items with EXT fields (storage slips, augments, etc).
    4.) Increase number of containers that can store items.
    5.) Make some containers only available in mog house or wardrobe?
    6.) Increase packet length from 200 bytes to something ....larger.

SE has options but they all come with pros and cons. Unfortunately (again), SE said in the latest Q&A they they don't even have dedicated engineers for this game.

It makes me very sad as whole, especially since last May, they said they now have 2 dedicated developers....I guess that did not last very long.
    Developers != Engineers. Anyone who works on the game is technically a developer. An engineer is is really a programmer/scripter/someone who works with the guts of things. Something they have limited ability to do, especially without them currently having access to the limited working dev hardware.

Basically all new content and features in the game today and henceforth are in some way derivative of existing content/functionality/etc, using the engine's scripting system for quests/menus/giving items/etc. Everything that has been made in the last several years has been made this way, leveraging existing engine features and assets, with few clear exceptions.

Because of this though, they don't need engineers for a lot of things: Creating new items, quests, battle contents, etc, can all mostly be done without any programming because they just utilize existing functionality.

The game having been developed entirely on PS2 dev kits really hamstrung the game in ways that extend far beyond the later dropping of ps2 support, because there are a lot of things to do with the game that they simply can't do without them- and this may even be one of the reasons they say they don't have snapshots of the early years of the game in order to do something like a classic server.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-19-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Fanfest answered this
    https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...996#post624996

Quote Originally Posted by Zhexos View Post
    Fujito: Systematically, this is possible to add additional Mog Wardrobes. However, doing this will require additional data communication to occur; therefore it would be impossible to do. We're currently looking into ways to expand the amount of storage; however, we cannot answer when this would be possible at the moment.
    (1)
    Last edited by VoiceMemo; 04-19-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Character
    Wolfee
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Release a robust set of level 1, no stat armor for use as lock styles.

Release quests allowing players to "merge" the useful stats of most armor sets in such a way as to drastically reduce the amount of crap players need and also reducing the need for in battle gear swapping.

If you could play at near optimal levels without needing gear swaps and then you could just wear that and then only need your given lockstyle stuff in a warddrobe, making each job take maybe 30 slots maximum... Well, I could dream.

I mean... for casters, they know we CAN swap for pre-cast, mid-cast sets. So.... why not give us a casting set that does both? Why make us swap? It's the swapping itself that is the problem, not the storage.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Release a robust set of level 1, no stat armor for use as lock styles.
    ??? There is oodles of no job/level requirement gear that is specifically for vanity.
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    They have previously mentioned that equipment can only have a certain number of stats on it. Though it seems that they have found a workaround for that given the armor sets that they have been releasing lately. Likely this workaround is the fact that two or more in game stats can share one stat 'slot' on a piece of equipment if those stats share the same value. You can only take this trick so far though and it would certainly not work with the merge system that was suggested.

I previously suggested a job specific wardrobe that would only be loaded while you are on that specific job. I eventually realized that this wouldn't really work because the game still has to load all of your inventory to check to see if you have a rare item anywhere in any inventory. This could be worked around by creating a pop up whenever the game detects a duplicate rare item asking that you select which one you must drop. This would only cause limited opportunity for abuse since the game already has a way to abuse the rare status of items (delivery boxing them to yourself or another character). However given the complaints the devs have mentioned over the rigidity of the game's base code it is possible that detecting two rare items might cause a crash before any additional code could be implemented, making this idea unfeasable.

Another idea I had was creating a way to convert some items into key items instead. For example REM armor is often quite useful for many jobs, but because every job has 3 full sets, they can very quickly fill up inventory space. So make a quest that allows players to convert a full set of fully upgraded REM armor into a single key item that would allow that player to equip any one of those items without having to have them in your inventory. Obviously for this to work the armor would have to be fully upgraded and at it's maximum augment value, since it probably wouldn't be possible to assign varying stat values to a key item, or if it was it would simply cause the same kind of bandwidth problems that additional inventory space would cause. It would probably be possible to create a key item for each individual piece of equipment but having the requirement of a full set would help reinvigorate some of the older content and give players like me, who are running out of things to do in the game, an objective to sink some time into. I have several jobs that use 3~4 pieces of REM armor, I'd gladly finish the sets if it meant freeing up inventory space, rather then clogging it further.
    (0)

Character
    Voicememo
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/t...-February-2021

They said they are working deciding out the "premium" ie they are trying to figure out how much to charge
    (0)

Character
    Wolfee
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    ??? There is oodles of no job/level requirement gear that is specifically for vanity.
    The idea was to release existing vanity sets that you could use for the looks after you "lost" the same piece merging them.
    (0)