Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Derian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Mog Lazy Susan™

Would it be possible to implement a job-linked storage option where the contents of that storage section change when the player changes jobs?

ie: Put Chango, Warrior's Beads, Agoge gear, etc. in "Mog Lazy Susan™ - WAR". Put Death Penalty, Rostam, Lanun gear, etc. in "Mog Lazy Susan™ - COR", and so on. Then only have that equipment accessible (and therefore only loaded) while the player is on the associated job.

If implementation is feasible it could potentially add a great deal of additional storage without increasing the load times.

SquareEnix could even incentivize it and charge a small fee for each job (say 25¢~50¢).

* I originally posted this idea as a reply to another thread which quickly got buried and I hoped to get some feedback and/or promote ideas from others in a similar vein.
    (2)
    Last edited by DerianX; 04-01-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Grammar, aesthetics

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I've been saying for a while they should just rip off the armory chest in FFXI and have gear slot-specific storage areas. Would be simpler and would still help.
    (0)

Character
    Trishula
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/56550

Quote Originally Posted by larrymc View Post
    Will we get new storage options (Wardrobe 5 & 6), or the possibility to equip gear stored in mog case, sack, or satchel?

Fujito: Systematically, this is possible to add additional Mog Wardrobes. However, doing this will require additional data communication to occur; therefore it would be impossible to do. We're currently looking into ways to expand the amount of storage; however, we cannot answer when this would be possible at the moment.
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I would be perfectly happy if they took away one of the permanent mog wardrobes and turned it into a conditional job wardrobe as suggested. This would eliminate the need for extra bandwidth while still providing us with a great deal more extra space.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    The other thing that complicates this is non-gear specific stuff. If an item is in one "lazy suzan" space then you'd need multiples of that item for other jobs, or you'd have to constantly move it around thus kind of negating the benefit.
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    A) The first three wardrobes would still be available for multi-job items.
    and
    B) Even if you did go out and collect duplicate items for certain jobs, I cannot possibly imagine that you would get 60+ items for each job to fill every additional wardrobe. (And even if you did, that would just give people a reason to redo old content, adding longevity to the game.)
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    A) The first three wardrobes would still be available for multi-job items.
    and
    B) Even if you did go out and collect duplicate items for certain jobs, I cannot possibly imagine that you would get 60+ items for each job to fill every additional wardrobe. (And even if you did, that would just give people a reason to redo old content, adding longevity to the game.)
    Realistically we aren't going to get any kind of storage space that can store more than 80 things, even if it's designed differently the way you describe. Look at other storage systems wh ich are limited by other things- the cap on the number of things that can be put in the game's "make a decision" interface used by the storage slip system and the event item storage and other things. Storage slips can only have so many bits for identifying owned items which is why there are so many of them.

I mean really, be realistic. They basically can't devleop entirely new game systems at this point- Every new thing that's come out has leveraged or been based upon something that already exists.
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    My understanding of the situation (and I may be wrong about this) is that additional mog wardrobes cannot/will not be added because of the already significant load times for inventory space. Also, due to fundamental limitations of the game programming, they cannot ever add an inventory space with more then 80 slots.

The suggestion as I understand it bypasses both of these limitations (or at least mitigates the first). The 'Mog lazy susan' would not be a giant wardrobe that only holds job specific equipment, instead it is a subgroup of up to 22 separate inventory spaces, only one of which is ever loaded at any given time, and none of which need to exceed 80 slots (even that is probably more then necessary for most people). This means that the only extra communication that needs to be sent is a flag telling the server what job you are on (which I can only imagine is sent anyway every time you zone) so that it can load the appropriate job specific wardrobe.

I suggested that, if they are unable/unwilling to add even one additional wardrobe space for this system, that they replace the existing Mog Wardrobe 4 with this system, on the premise that at this point most players have at least 10 items that are exclusive to a single job and likely that number is closer to 20 or more (I personally have at least 20 items that are exclusive to RDM, but my other jobs have less). Based on this assumption anyone with 5 or more jobs would have over 80 different items that are exclusive to only a single job and that even with the loss of wardrobe 4 they would still come out ahead on inventory space. And that anyone with 4 or fewer jobs probably doesn't even need that extra space anyway.

I think this is very realistic suggestion given that the system is obviously capable of discriminating when and if to load a specific inventory space. Mog Safes only load when accessed from a moogle, Storage only even loads when you are in your mog house, and Mog Wardrobes were specifically coded to load first. And even a drastic increase in storage spaces would be a pretty negligible amount of extra data server side. So it seems to me that they should be able to implement this kind of system with the tools that they already have, the only question is if they are willing to spend the resources (time) to do it.
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Sorry for that lengthy post, I was having trouble understanding your argument, had to reread a couple times.

tldr; It should be doable, basically would be a 'Storage' inventory space that checks what job you are on rather then what zone you are in. But adding it could be very time consuming, and thereby cost actual content updates.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    My understanding of the situation (and I may be wrong about this) is that additional mog wardrobes cannot/will not be added because of the already significant load times for inventory space. Also, due to fundamental limitations of the game programming, they cannot ever add an inventory space with more then 80 slots.

The suggestion as I understand it bypasses both of these limitations (or at least mitigates the first). The 'Mog lazy susan' would not be a giant wardrobe that only holds job specific equipment, instead it is a subgroup of up to 22 separate inventory spaces, only one of which is ever loaded at any given time, and none of which need to exceed 80 slots (even that is probably more then necessary for most people). This means that the only extra communication that needs to be sent is a flag telling the server what job you are on (which I can only imagine is sent anyway every time you zone) so that it can load the appropriate job specific wardrobe.

I suggested that, if they are unable/unwilling to add even one additional wardrobe space for this system, that they replace the existing Mog Wardrobe 4 with this system, on the premise that at this point most players have at least 10 items that are exclusive to a single job and likely that number is closer to 20 or more (I personally have at least 20 items that are exclusive to RDM, but my other jobs have less). Based on this assumption anyone with 5 or more jobs would have over 80 different items that are exclusive to only a single job and that even with the loss of wardrobe 4 they would still come out ahead on inventory space. And that anyone with 4 or fewer jobs probably doesn't even need that extra space anyway.

I think this is very realistic suggestion given that the system is obviously capable of discriminating when and if to load a specific inventory space. Mog Safes only load when accessed from a moogle, Storage only even loads when you are in your mog house, and Mog Wardrobes were specifically coded to load first. And even a drastic increase in storage spaces would be a pretty negligible amount of extra data server side. So it seems to me that they should be able to implement this kind of system with the tools that they already have, the only question is if they are willing to spend the resources (time) to do it.
    The gist is the amount of data transfer involved, it's not JUST about the loading of the lists. There is still additional data tnasfer from checking jobs, server processing of the character data (which can be significantly larger with this idea), then sending the correctr info back. It isn't as much as just seperate inventories but it is still an addition. The game is basically locked into transferring packets at a certain size and speed. An MMO today would not require anywhere near the amount of time that FFXI requires to do this job, which is why they needed to invent all kinds of workarounds to give us more space. Ultimately when tehse systems were first designed, the original devs didn't expect everyone (or even most people) to level and gear up every single job- it was a particularly long time investment back in the day to do so. And the inventory systems were designed with that notion in mind. This idea potentially increases the size of the character data significantly, even if it isn't sending all of that information to you. Keep in mind the job checks arent just going to happen when you change jobs as well- they need to happen with every area change- when you change areas you basically leave one server node and move to another. The amount of data to transfer, not just the load time for that data, is a factor in why they don't just keep adding inventory.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast