Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    It seems like we are saying the same thing and coming to different conclusions. We both stated that job data is already being transferred on zone. It would seem like they ought to be able to reference this preexisting data in an inventory load function (either a completely new one, or one replacing an already existing inventory space). Everything else should be server side, the data transfer should remain the same (if replacing an existing inventory space).

Also, they made Maat's Cap, obviously they were expecting that at least some people would level all available jobs.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    It seems like we are saying the same thing and coming to different conclusions. We both stated that job data is already being transferred on zone. It would seem like they ought to be able to reference this preexisting data in an inventory load function (either a completely new one, or one replacing an already existing inventory space). Everything else should be server side, the data transfer should remain the same (if replacing an existing inventory space).

Also, they made Maat's Cap, obviously they were expecting that at least some people would level all available jobs.
    I just don't think you realize what they can and can't do. They can't, for example, rewrite the network code to modern standards and allow for more/faster data transfer. All that back end sphagetti stuff is not something they have a lot of ability to change. This is why all the new content and features are based on/leverage existing features in different ways. Your proposal would almost certainly require some redevelopment that in my partially educated partially guessing opinion, might not be possible. Like I want them to just copy FFXIV's armory chest. But there is no way that would happen because it would need to be largely developed from scratch. Similarly, again I'm partially guessing, partially have an idea of how things work, but I think your idea wouldn't pass muster due to development limitations. (But in no way do I want to discourage brainstorming here- even if an idea might not be workable, it may lead to another one that is)

In your case, the data transfer isn't the same because there are more parameters at work. First on the server side, there is more data, and thus the size of your character data as a whole is larger, even if not all of it is being accessed at once (which it generally isn't). Now you basically need either an entirely new data structure (a two dimensional array with job on one side and list of items on the other) or 22 copies of the original existing data structure and a paramater specifying which one to use. the latter by itself is (admittely small but still a thing) additional data that needs to be communicated on every area change.

Well yes, they likely knew someone would notice the incredible grind and go "Challenge accepted." But very few people actually did this for a very long time. It definitely wasn't something the average player did. And they very likely assumed that even those players wouldn't keep gear at the ready for all jobs at all times (and some of it can overlap).
    (0)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    True, I do not know what is required data communication and what can be left out. If simply the existence of the additional storage space needs to be added to the required character data, then yes that would probably exceed the data limit. I was assuming that they would all be stored server side and only the one required for your current job would be added to the character data (and as suggested in place of the current wardrobe 4).

A pretty big selling point of FFXI, vs just about any other MMO is the ability to level and gear as many different jobs as you want to on a single character. At least it was when it first came out. I would think that they would want to what they could to help preserve this feature, but I have already admitted that a suggestion like this might require a significant amount of time to create and implement.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekander View Post
    True, I do not know what is required data communication and what can be left out. If simply the existence of the additional storage space needs to be added to the required character data, then yes that would probably exceed the data limit. I was assuming that they would all be stored server side and only the one required for your current job would be added to the character data (and as suggested in place of the current wardrobe 4).

A pretty big selling point of FFXI, vs just about any other MMO is the ability to level and gear as many different jobs as you want to on a single character. At least it was when it first came out. I would think that they would want to what they could to help preserve this feature, but I have already admitted that a suggestion like this might require a significant amount of time to create and implement.
    In no way am I shooting you down, more i'm saying "keep your expectations low." lol They are well aware of this problem and they've implied they're exploring options on it, but it's probably going to be a while.
    (0)

Character
    Derian
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Glad to see some constructive discussion about this. Would love to see the opinion of someone on the development team but with the unfortunate situation in the real world I don't expect anything to be addressed in Vana'Diel anytime soon.
    (0)

Character
    Vysundra
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    It would actually be pretty cool to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I've been saying for a while they should just rip off the armory chest in FFXI and have gear slot-specific storage areas. Would be simpler and would still help.
    I recently returned from FFXIV to FFXI, and I've to say no, no, no.... the only thing worse than FFXIV's armory chest is BDO's inventory system.

Sure, you get 35 item slots per gear category and 13 different categories for a potential total of 455 to fill up, but you only get 35 item slots per category and there's no way to change it. Ex., if you have all 35 body slots used but no subweapon slots being used (which is a very, very real situation since subweapon is used exclusively and only for shields and secondary crafting/gathering tools), there is no way whatsoever to leverage subweapon slots for additional body slots - you are stuck at a hard-limit of 50 slots per category. That is inefficient and wasteful both.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2