Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Most people are leaving there though? We just had 4 long term players join from that server into our LS here on Asura saying that Shiva is completely dead.
    No, they aren't? I have two active linkshells and their membership hasn't changed significantly one way or another.
    Asura is already overcrowded and it just makes things worse everywhere else. Anyone that's smart is staying put and not dealing with the rampant RMT and cheating on Asura (Not that those problems don't exist elsewhere, but far from the same degree).
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixela View Post
    14 is made for people who want a single player game, so you can find people without interacting by using the group finder.

The reason you see no shouts is because you aren't shouting for stuff you want, just shout for 2 more people to join you and tell them you're just going to solo. It's pretty easy, you don't have to run an event they can just do what you plan to do.
    You're finding people, therefore its not a "single player game."

If anything FFXI is more single player now because you can do almost everything with trusts and not need to deal with other people at all, much less people you'll rarely meet a second time.
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    No, they aren't? I have two active linkshells and their membership hasn't changed significantly one way or another.
    Asura is already overcrowded and it just makes things worse everywhere else. Anyone that's smart is staying put and not dealing with the rampant RMT and cheating on Asura (Not that those problems don't exist elsewhere, but far from the same degree).
    How many people do you have online at peak NA time?
    Asura has RMT yes, and mercs - that is for SE to address.

I'm speaking from experience. When I left Fenrir - there were 300 people online peak. Sometimes 1 other person in the linkshell. It is not enough, it felt like an offline game and yells/PUG's are virtually nil.
    Looking at Shivas yells, they appear to be non-existent.
    (0)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Player
    You're finding people, therefore its not a "single player game."

If anything FFXI is more single player now because you can do almost everything with trusts and not need to deal with other people at all, much less people you'll rarely meet a second time.
    I've played games with group finders, you simply press the button and the game finds people who you don't have to talk to or do anything with. They are just NPCs, nobody even says goodbye when the dungeon is over.

On FFXI you have to talk to people to do the harder endgame, there is no way around it and you can't use trusts for that either.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Y
    How many people do you have online at peak NA time?
    Asura has RMT yes, and mercs - that is for SE to address.

I'm speaking from experience. When I left Fenrir - there were 300 people online peak. Sometimes 1 other person in the linkshell. It is not enough, it felt like an offline game and yells/PUG's are virtually nil.
    Looking at Shivas yells, they appear to be non-existent.
    Yells are a real poor indicator of activity. I've seen servers with just a couple hundred ppl at peak times, last weekend shiva had around 900. And even half that is enough when the concentration of bots and alts isn't as high.

Most talk and cooperation happens in linkshells, not yells. Asura has lots of yells, sure, but a ton of it is RMT. Filter that out and even Asura's yells look comparatively barren. Whatever gave you the idea that this is a good metric for player activity?

Less RMT, not overcrowded, Easier to get camps, Dynamis-D lag seems to be less of a problem, Can still get things done, not to mention a closer-knit community that helps eachother (less need for mercing), there are tons of reasons to choose not-Asura. Stop pushing people to go there.

there is no way around it and you can't use trusts for that either.
    Current topic excluded, the percentage of even remotely relevant content you can't concievably do with trusts (provided you're prepared) is small.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-02-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yells are a real poor indicator of activity. I've seen servers with just a couple hundred ppl at peak times, last weekend shiva had around 900. And even half that is enough when the concentration of bots and alts isn't as high.

Most talk and cooperation happens in linkshells, not yells. Asura has lots of yells, sure, but a ton of it is RMT. Filter that out and even Asura's yells look comparatively barren. Whatever gave you the idea that this is a good metric for player activity?

Less RMT, not overcrowded, Easier to get camps, Dynamis-D lag seems to be less of a problem, Can still get things done, not to mention a closer-knit community that helps eachother (less need for mercing), there are tons of reasons to choose not-Asura. Stop pushing people to go there.
    You have to ask yourself this, as you keeping mentioning it. Why do you think that Asura is full of RMT? Could it be because there are more actual people there to offer to?
    Why are highly established/veteran players moving from Shiva? I have around 12 of such players in my Linkshell (that I know of). A lot of which are recent.
    Congestion issues get addressed. SE have done well on that part regarding Ambuscade and the doubling up of other instances.

I understand Shiva is a place that suits you, because you have established yourself there and have 'contacts'. For a new player, however, it would be difficult. It is kind of like looking for a job, if you have no established contacts in your life, you are going to find it harder than someone who has. It is not easy to find people who connect with you, in real life, or in a game.

Asura /sea all
    (1)
    Last edited by Sirmarki; 04-02-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You have to ask yourself this, as you keeping mentioning it. Why do you think that Asura is full of RMT? Could it be because there are more actual people there to offer to?
    Why are highly established/veteran players moving from Shiva? I have around 12 of such players in my Linkshell (that I know of). A lot of which are recent.
    Congestion issues get addressed. SE have done well on that part regarding Ambuscade and the doubling up of other instances. S
    I understand Shiva is a place that suits you, because you have established yourself there and have 'contacts'. For a new player, however, it would be difficult. It is kind of like looking for a job, if you have no established contacts in your life, you are going to find it harder than someone who has. It is not easy to find people who connect with you, in real life, or in a game.

Asura /sea all
    I'm not having any trouble. But by convincing people to leave their servers, you're making it harder for those who are happy where they are. Asura has more people than it needs, you don't have any need to recruit more people- Even in the peak times of FFXI, none of the servers looked like that. (That's also why you originally couldn't pick your server without a world pass, to keep populations balanced). Some of those measures you speak of wouldn't have been necessary had Asura not collectively pressured everyone to pile on it. I've never had to wait more than 30 seconds to do Ambu except on patch day, before the zone cloning.

You're also entirely wrong about making connections. All people have to do is ask. Sure, if your approach is "yell for help and take what random people respond" then yeah, you'll have an easier time. But ironically enough that's one of the things people here complain about with FFXIV, how the duty finder just matches you with random people.

If people look around, they'll find the help they need, regardless of server. Especially long time returning players should know there are ways to find people beyond yelling in town. Asura needs to stop poaching.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-02-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    {sarcasm} ...hmmm modernizing /seacom interface ring a bell? I bet you remember the topic ! Correctly accomplished a /seacom upgrade would allow for more capabilities for seeking content involvement and party+alliance formations. The culture of /seacom as it pertained to LFG prior to trusts and /yell was effective at least for EXP+Merits. The initial flaw of /seacom during LvL 75 cap era was the inability to place multiple interests across content types of LFG selections. Therefore as to not miss out on a EXP/Merit party invite a vast majority of players would have /seacom active for a EXP/Merit comment, this was purely due to being forced to chose a single type of /seacom.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TullemoreAsuraFFXI View Post
    {sarcasm} ...hmmm modernizing /seacom interface ring a bell? I bet you remember the topic ! Correctly accomplished a /seacom upgrade would allow for more capabilities for seeking content involvement and party+alliance formations. The culture of /seacom as it pertained to LFG prior to trusts and /yell was effective at least for EXP+Merits. The initial flaw of /seacom during LvL 75 cap era was the inability to place multiple interests across content types of LFG selections. Therefore as to not miss out on a EXP/Merit party invite a vast majority of players would have /seacom active for a EXP/Merit comment, this was purely due to being forced to chose a single type of /seacom.
    Anything less than FFXIV's party finder I don't think is worth the effort. Post a listing with your own specific requirements i.e. job, level/item level, and anyone who meets those conditions can just automatically join your party, or if they don't they can send a tell and inquire. Despite the game having the duty finder auto-matching system, they have one of the best group formation tools.

What would be even more amazing is if they added cross world functionality (yeah, good luck with that one too though...) Then there's far less need for people to jump servers. The only problem with that is how little of FFXI's content is actually instanced, and that instances aren't on a seperate server cluster.

(You may or may not like FFXIV's gameplay, but you have to admit they built the back-end side of things quite a bit better in many respects)"

None of this is to say your suggestion wouldn't have use- it would, as I agree being limted to seeking party for one type of content constrained how useful it could be. But I would essentially propose to rip out the totally unused "autogroup" feature , and put something like the party finder in its place. Even when the game was new nobody used that feature. I honestly don't even have any idea how it works, or if it works at all, because I've never found myself in a party from using it- not once. but my guess is if 6 people turned that on in the same area it would make a party. but that basically never happened.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 04-03-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Player
    I just want to add, most people are not leaving their servers to goto Asura. It's either new players who goto Asura or returnees going there.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast