Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Unsolved Mysteries

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Unsolved_Mysteries

I have a few of my own; they may or may not be confirmed because I did not play from around late 2014-ish to summer 2019. When I played during the early 2000s, it was a race to the level cap, while ranking up & completing story arcs for rings or earrings. Never thought much about the game beyond that...

Questions: Some may be silly, answered, or theories, because my mind tends to wander......I just have a few questions

-Why doesn't RUN & GEO have relic & emp weapons?

-Why are mage jobs on weapons like GAs, Polearms, etc? (Not complaining, Raetic weapons are pretty fun to mess around with as a mage subbed WAR. Keep them on it lol).

-What is that ship in Norg doing?

-Xion has the design of an Avatar & been around since 2007 iirc, why isn't he a summon? Is he indeed an avatar?

-Why are there 2 different types?

-What happens if a maintenance occurs during a besieged?

-Are mobs immortal, because they can respawn?

-Why do BST mobs have Wyvern pets?

-BST ecosystem lore is broken because the players can also tame a specific dragon mob?

-Why do the devs use monsters as avatars?

Theory
    -The only time BST truly had a niche was when it was a solo job back in the early 2000s. Was limited jobs in XIV inspired by BST inability to fit in once XI shifted to battlefields?
    (2)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastorizer View Post
    -What is that ship in Norg doing?
    Delivering toilet rolls.
    (3)

Sirmarki, ex-Fenrir, a young warrior, in the heyday.

Character
    Catsgoncat
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    Delivering toilet rolls.
    That would be hilarious if a npc in Norg referenced toilet paper.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    -Why doesn't RUN & GEO have relic & emp weapons?
    This isn't an unsolved mystery. They don't have relic or emp weapons because they were created after these were released. They have no representation in the contents that these come from either.

-Why are mage jobs on weapons like GAs, Polearms, etc? (Not complaining, Raetic weapons are pretty fun to mess around with as a mage subbed WAR. Keep them on it lol).
    For variety and uniqueness, and apparently to make some people ask questions. BLM does have skill for scythe and there do exist some "magey" statted scythes. FFXI is all about options, and the team wanted to create as many possibilities as possible, even if some would obviously be better than others, you can try everything out and do things that are fun, not just things that are the best.

-Xion has the design of an Avatar & been around since 2007 iirc, why isn't he a summon? Is he indeed an avatar?
    Because it's an HNM. they do have the aura of a summon, but if there was plans for them to be a summon they probably would have been put into a BCNM or cutscenes and such instead of being a world spawn.

-What happens if a maintenance occurs during a besieged?
    Most server events and such are reset when the servers go down. Heck the server doesn't even save best times for BCNMs, which raises the question of why they bothered to add that feature when the game wasn't going to keep a premanent record. If the besieged doesn't end normally, it's like it didn't happen.

-Are mobs immortal, because they can respawn?
    While in a server sense it is the exact same mob each time (probably, anyway), from a world context I am given to understand that, at least for regular mobs, it isn't meant to be the exact same being getting revived, rather just another one of a bunch of beings that look the same. NMs however, could be considered immortal, since they're named, it can't possibly really be a different one the next time, otherwise it probably wouldn't have the same name.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-18-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    This isn't an unsolved mystery. They don't have relic or emp weapons because they were created after these were released. They have no representation in the contents that these come from either.

Questions: Some may be silly, answered, or theories, because my mind tends to wander......I just have a few questions
    That was my disclaimer to keep in mind at the top of my OP. I am not all-knowing, a FFXI scholar perse.

For variety and uniqueness, and apparently to make some people ask questions. BLM does have skill for scythe and there do exist some "magey" statted scythes. FFXI is all about options, and the team wanted to create as many possibilities as possible, even if some would obviously be better than others, you can try everything out and do things that are fun, not just things that are the best.

Naoki Yoshida implied weapons and armor dictate a FF character's job, so that is why I asked about the melee mages (I am one of them in side content). He was saying cross glamour does not really make sense for a FF game because players would be like "What kind of FF game is this" (Paraphrasing) if there was a mage wielding in lance or something. I can't really buy your logic, because the majority of FF games follow what Yoshi was saying, & he is a dev.

Because it's an HNM. they do have the aura of a summon, but if there was plans for them to be a summon they probably would have been put into a BCNM or cutscenes and such instead of being a world spawn.

As for Monoceros, BG has them as "Unconfirmed, their origins are not explained" within the avatar section is why I asked. Still mystery because nobody knows for certain. The devs do....however....But, your conclusion makes some sense. Monoceros are a part of content, but not anything significant (I don't think).

Most server events and such are reset when the servers go down. Heck the server doesn't even save best times for BCNMs, which raises the question of why they bothered to add that feature when the game wasn't going to keep a premanent record. If the besieged doesn't end normally, it's like it didn't happen.

Forgot about the reset.
    Good points, I agree.

While in a server sense it is the exact same mob each time (probably, anyway), from a world context I am given to understand that, at least for regular mobs, it isn't meant to be the exact same being getting revived, rather just another one of a bunch of beings that look the same. NMs however, could be considered immortal, since they're named, it can't possibly really be a different one the next time, otherwise it probably wouldn't have the same name.
    That is what I was getting at.

I still feel that Monoceros one is confusing, considering he was named after a summon & looks like one. I just want to know if he is a avatar or not. Like, if a dev comes along & says "No plans to add Monoceros as a avatar" that will suffice. It is listed as an elemental, but was originally categorized as a beast. Granted these BG & wiki are fan pages, but usually spot on due to the research put into them. However, no ones seems to know for certain.

I least I know were the ship to Norg is going.
    Funny guy
    (0)
    Last edited by Beastorizer; 03-19-2020 at 03:25 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    My understanding is the Norg ship is/was supposed to be the pirate ship that appears on the mhaura/selbina route. But maybe that was proven wrong, I'm not sure.

The mysteries I'd like to see solved are the Audolin airship docks, where are basically entirely unused and never referenced in the story even, except for one time when you go near there for one brief scene. Was there originally planned to be an actual airship route and it was cut, was it planned to be used for cutscenes/story? or did they just design it in there in the off chance they decided to use it later, kind of like certain elements in the main cities that went more or less unused. (The Depot in Bastok for instance- though this is known to be for content that was cut early in development)

Also, the landing at Tavnazian Safehold. The area has a map (unusual for layer areas), and you can only walk on a small fraction of it. I wonder if this was originally planned to be fully acessible and be more than just a BC entrance, or if it wasn't even originally going to be a layer area at all.
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    My understanding is the Norg ship is/was supposed to be the pirate ship that appears on the mhaura/selbina route. But maybe that was proven wrong, I'm not sure.
    I think that's been pretty much the consensus. I believe there are other references, but Gabide for example says "And to think that this is the hideout of the pirates who attacked me when I was still a young adventurer...".

With Rhapsodies of Vana'diel, they did give it another meaning: transporting adventurers between Norg, Selbina, and Mhaura. Well, /a/ ship. Probably not the pirate ship, though it would be interesting to get on board that. :]

I also think I remember the design/colouring being the same, but I'll have to check a look.

A boat docks every 2 minutes and 18'ish seconds, so to make any sense, it probably has to be several boats.

(Or maybe they're just test-driving one or few.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Dragoy; 03-21-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Supersummoner
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I am pretty much sold on the reasons you guys are giving to my OP

Still holding out hope that the Alicorn will be added as a summon one day. Coolest looking "Avatar" in the game imo. It also took the Cat awhile to be added. You are probably right though, he does not have much to do with story-lines.

But Audolin airship docks? Is it this?

I honestly never paid attention to that, but that is indeed pretty interesting. I wonder what other things in this game appear as Unfinished content. That Tavnazian Safehold has me thinking though. Usually they say "No map for this area." It is not like one can get lost in there

Speaking of Tavnazian , that elf Fardimant is listed as a Necro in the wiki. It was stated that the class scrapped for PUP. So I guess it is common knowledge that maybe he had something to do with that class story-line? I was the "A" button guy when cut-scenes appear, lol.....I had no idea he was a Necro until recently.
    (0)
    Last edited by Beastorizer; 03-22-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Speaking of Tavnazian , that elf Fardimant is listed as a Necro in the wiki. It was stated that the class scrapped for PUP. So I guess it is common knowledge that maybe he had something to do with that class story-line? I was the "A" button guy when cut-scenes appear, lol.....I had no idea he was a Necro until recently.
    Checked both bgwiki and fandom wiki, even Google searched it; there is no Fardimant elf listed anywhere. Is this the correct name? You got my curiosity flowing....
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Dzspdref View Post
    Checked both bgwiki and fandom wiki, even Google searched it; there is no Fardimant elf listed anywhere. Is this the correct name? You got my curiosity flowing....
    Fardimant X Boncourge?

0. https://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/Fardimant_X_Boncourge
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast