Thread: Report function

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehira View Post
    The rules do not work that way. You should blame yourself for using the popular third party tool called Windower.

FFXI would do better if the game runs on DirectX 9 or 11 then programmers can control the community.
    The version of directx in use has essentialyl zero impact on cheating, and there's no other way it would "do better." because it wouldn't look/run better on a newer version of directx without redevelopment of assets themselves. i.e. a full HD remaster. But good luck with that.

Also, technically correct is not actually the best kind of correct, it on'y makes you sound silly when you know what people actually mean with what they say. Even most of the people who use windower (which isn't actually everyone like you suggest) are not using it to harm anyone else or gain anything that couldn't otherwise be gained normally. i.e. by poshacking, duping, etc. Those people are using it to offset deficiencies in the UI that SE either can't or won't fix. (Such as the fact that it isn't scalable and on today's screen resolutions the stock UI may be too small for some people to see clearly, for example- should those people with crappy vision be punished for using a tool to make UI elements easier to see when SE hasn't implemented any sort of accessibility features?)

In short, I reject your argument that "everyone' is cheating because "everyone" uses windower. Most people that use it are using it for quality of life stuff, not to dupe items/wreck the economy/warp around the world/become invulnerable/etc. They have no intention of harming yours or anyone else's game experience.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-05-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    You see the issue is to allow add-on users to operate on servers where that is accommodated as long as those tools are not violating the coding of FFXI and to have a traditionalist server that would not allow for 3rd party tools to input commands, scripts or other ways of exploiting "assisted control".
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    FINAL FANTASY XI Config which is located in your FFXI game directory allows you to adjust resolutions and internally within game there are configuration settings for different screen sizes.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TullemoreAsuraFFXI View Post
    You see the issue is to allow add-on users to operate on servers where that is accommodated as long as those tools are not violating the coding of FFXI and to have a traditionalist server that would not allow for 3rd party tools to input commands, scripts or other ways of exploiting "assisted control".
    No. No special servers. Of any kind. Ever. Period.

One set of rules, for everyone, at all times. There is nothing "traditional" about not cheating. Most of us don't want to cheat already, and such a designation creates an undeserved air of superiority among people on it.

The real solution is either fix the game or punish the people who are actively harming it. I'd like to hear your case as to how someone using a tool to improve the UI is harming the game experience for anyone else (as opposed to actually hacking/duping/etc, which we all generally agree is actually cheating and should be punished).

One of the biggest problems with your idea is in order to actually implement it, SE would have to implement means of tracking its users which it isn't currently legally allowed to do. Otherwise, there is nothing to stop people from cheating on your "traditional" server except the the still-mostly-empty threat of bans. I can assure you, if it was within the realm of legality, we would already be being tracked. And without that, the only th ing about your silly server that makes it different is "we're enforcing the rules" vs "only enforcing the most egregious offenders"

The other problem with your idea is fracturing the community, the same reason why "classic" servers are a bad idea for this game as well. The community is not big enough to weather that kind of division.
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-05-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    FINAL FANTASY XI Config which is located in your FFXI game directory allows you to adjust resolutions and internally within game there are configuration settings for different screen sizes.
    Doesn't solve the problem. It mainly just makes the game look uglier. We need a scalable UI, not a pixelated one. Look at FFXIV. If you double the font size, it doesn't become pixelated. It just becomes bigger. Make UI elements bigger? just makes them bigger, not pixelated (in most cases). With external tools, you can actually make scalable HUD elements. We honestly shouldn't have to do that, and I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. But if SE isn't willing (or can't) to fix things you can expect players will take them into their own hands. The worst part is, SE was working at one point on a new UI which would have at least some of the features players had been asking for, but it got cancelled.

In a few rare cases, we have gotten some such improvements YEARS after tool users had enjoyed them, like the ability to run the game in a window (where said tool got its name), unique icons for abilities (though not terribly useful without the New UI that was never completed)
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 03-05-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Yes, it is very difficult to spend time in between video game and real life. On Asura, I'd say too late. People already have a lot of gil and those who need a lot of gil don't have time to earn. If you are not cheating you are not winning.

As long as SE care about players that still playing, by all means, we are not living in Nazi Germany.
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    It takes initiative. It takes correct perspective of what is marketable. Without using 3rd party apps, add-ons, all that garbage that these bot users say they will shutdown the game for being barred from using: I've bought basically everything that is a crafted produced item that i found to be of "importance" to how i currently wardrobe my jobs. Those believing that gil is the only medium to attaining desirable pixels are incredibly wrong and have fallen for the deceptions of those that would exploit this foolish perception.
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3