Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaitin View Post
    Your solution is silly and unrealistic. People actually go to asura FOR the mercing services, as crazy as that sounds.
    No they don't, they go there because it has a larger population, with the logic that more people = more stuff to do.
    Not to pay a merc and then sit in town again, with no player interaction lol.... That is the reason they left the quiet servers in the first place....

I think you'll find the drive to Asura was all started some years ago by one big linkshell, not mercing...
    (0)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylos View Post
    Go to a smaller server and join/build a linkshell with players who want to beat things
    the way the game should be played.
    I came from a small server (300 population peak around 3 years ago).

It felt like a ghost town. I mean you could go through zones and not see one person.
    Every linkshell collapsed because it had literately no players in them.
    Looking at the /yell log, it was completely dead....

The problem is, there is no happy medium. Asura is big, and the rest are tiny. There needs to be some middle ground met a long the way because the balance is way off.
    (0)

Player
    Merc'ing has been explicitly permitted by the devs under the justification that it qualifies as role-playing as a mercenary/sell-sword (as silly as that may sound.) So long as everything changing hands is in-game resources (ie: there are absolutely no RMT or RMT-like activities involved,) the practice does not break TOS according to SE. The devs have stated that in the past, and I've been told the same thing by GMs and their customer service line.

Multiboxing in and of itself is not against the TOS either. I believe the line they've drawn is that as long as you are doing so without using any tools which are manipulating FFXI data, then it's acceptable. Don't know for sure if they've ever actually come out and specified what types of non-cheating tools are permitted to interact with the FFXI client beyond screen capture/record software, but I know for a fact that it's OK to play multiple characters/accounts on multiple PCs, and that using hardware like KVM switches do not break TOS since that's what they told me when I asked. I figure that something like running multiple VMs on one machine w/ one FFXI instance in each would probably be acceptable as well since no game data is being altered, but don't quote me on that until we have an official answer. There are legitimate methods to multibox which are not against TOS, and multiboxing itself is not the actual source of your complaints.

That'd be bots.
    Bots are bad and need to go away.
    Preferably banned by IP AND payment method.
    -_-
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Merc'ing has been explicitly permitted by the devs under the justification that it qualifies as role-playing as a mercenary/sell-sword (as silly as that may sound.) So long as everything changing hands is in-game resources (ie: there are absolutely no RMT or RMT-like activities involved,) the practice does not break TOS according to SE. The devs have stated that in the past, and I've been told the same thing by GMs and their customer service line.
    I think most people understand that mercing via in-game resources isn't prohibited, however the problem is if people buy gil and don't get caught they're basically using an out of game resource.

Even though it's allowed, a lot of players see mercing as a problem because it facilitates lack of skill in the playerbase. This is also true in FFXIV where the same thing happens (you can even see people advertising "selling content" in the Party Finder). Since people don't have to learn how to beat content to get the rewards, now they may have the drops they want but they still don't have the skills they need.
    (0)

5. 03-12-2020 11:18 AM
    Reason
    Feel it repeats many issues already said

Character
    Spaitin
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99

Mercing

Wow, yeah, mercing is permitted by devs lol. Took some looking but i found it. They also dont mind most addons. Multiboxing is completely fine, unless using addons that resemble "botting" or allow you to do things you shouldnt be able to do i.e. speed hacking..

They need to update terms of service to make it more clear. So complaining about mercing is completely silly. Complaining about RMT and botting makes sense. The only solution that I have seen in other games to combat it effectively is by having the developer sell the gil to players directly. The most successful MMO's of all time do it, so apparently it works well. I think they should sell gil just so they have a larger budget to work with.
    (0)
    Last edited by Spaitin; 03-15-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I'll be the perspective of reason. If a company that makes video games wants my support as a customer through either subscription or purchase that company will refrain from business policies of RMT for pixels within their product. Period.
    (0)

8. 03-17-2020 05:12 PM

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9