Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I am on a smaller server, Leviathan, where I was placed in 2010 when my original server Remora was shut down.

There are actually zero Merc Shouts here, but there are the occasional RMT Gil-selling site link shouts. But it is very quiet, and most shouts are real players shouting for events and runs etc.

I love being on a quiet server. No queues. Easy to find good camps. Some occasional bargain prices for AH and bazaar stuff.

If you are on a quiet server, or you move to one, go to the Linkshell Concierge, and get a LS. Communicate with people on the LS, and make new friends! Team up with your new friends to do events and content clears!

I have all the gear I want, and I got it from either soloing with Trusts, or from teaming up with my friends, or even joining PUGs.

This game is designed to enable you to make friends and to team up with them, and to form bonds of trust with players you respect. Doing these core game things enables you to clear all the content you want to clear.

Sometimes on small servers you need to /yell a bit longer, or to postpone events / runs. It does require some extra patience, when the server is quiet.

More fundamentally, I would rather be naked and unarmed, than pay for gear and weapons. If I can't earn it myself, or with my friends, then I am happy to go without it altogether.

I have lots of nice gear that I farmed on this quiet server. I am happy. I don't need to cheat. If it was a straight choice, I would rather just wear my level one pyjamas and use an onion sword, than cheat to obtain gear.
    (5)

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    I have lots of nice gear that I farmed on this quiet server. I am happy. I don't need to cheat. If it was a straight choice, I would rather just wear my level one pyjamas and use an onion sword, than cheat to obtain gear.
    It is refreshing to see a player like yourself who plays the game in the way I personally think it should be played. You are old school, and that's how I remember the good old days (maybe I'm just old and suffering a sense of nostalgia?).

Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post
    Sometimes on small servers you need to /yell a bit longer, or to postpone events / runs. It does require some extra patience, when the server is quiet.
    I know, I've been there, seen it, done it, worn the t-shirt. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.

It is all about balance, balance of getting things done and life balance. If you eliminate mercs/RMT, the yell feed would be full of people asking for/creating content related shouts.
    Unfortunately Asura is just 95% selling content. I quit back in September, and came back hoping, yes hoping that things might have changed but they haven't. My subscription has come to abrupt and short ending (10 days).
    I see no other options Asura is 95% selling content, and the other servers are ridiculously quiet. I can't win, there is no happy medium as far as I can tell.
    (1)

Character
    Moonja
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Someone obviously doesn't see the point.

There are more than enough people on Asura, and no, I do not need to move servers. I have been on Asura since I started the game 9000 years ago. If you don't understand how medal duping and other people doing constant server transfers to sell items on Asura is bad for the economy then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Someone that supposedly doesn't merc or sell things shouldn't be so hugely upset about having Asura be closed.

I have no problem not joining merc shouts, I pretty much ignore yell altogether. That doesn't mean I don't want the prices of things I sell to make gil to go back to what they used to be.

There is no reason to keep letting more new accounts be made on Asura. Make new people play on a server where they actually have to play the game. And when RMT/bot accounts get banned, they can't just go make a new account in 6 hours and be right back doing the same thing.
    (0)

Player
    You know how much money they would lose closing server jumps to asura and how many people would straight up quit because it would be impossible to get gear. How do you propose they make up that lost income? They aren't just going to do something that affects their bottom line without raising the sub price (LOL!) or adding a p2w shop.
    (3)
    Last edited by Isola; 02-07-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirmarki View Post
    I know, I've been there, seen it, done it, worn the t-shirt. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that.
    I have been following your posts, and I have read about your decision to quit FFXI rather than endure the Botting / Gilselling / Mercing epidemic on your home server.

As you said in your quote above, you don't have time for navigating these treacherous seas in 2020.

I also work two full time jobs, and have no family support of any kind. All of my free time is spent in Vana'diel. FFXI is my only hobby. I don't play other games, except table-top AD&D with my friends (a few times a year.)

So I do have time to play FFXI, since I don't have other interests.

We are different people, with different personal preferences.

And my own personal opinion is that I am not comparing FFXI 2020 to a Utopian ideal FFXI, or to FFXI in the busy server activity of the early years. I am comparing FFXI 2020 on a quiet server, to not being able to play FFXI at all.

And what I was saying, is that I will never quit FFXI. I am happy to play on a quiet server, and to enjoy the joy and wonder of Vana'diel, rather than quitting the game.

I'm not pretending that FFXI is as busy or fun as it was in 2004. I'm not comparing FFXI 2004 to FFXI 2020. I'm comparing the fun I have in Vana'diel today 2020, with the misery of not being able to spend time in Vana'diel. For me, there is no choice to be made. I will be in Vana'diel for as long as it is possible for me to be there, because Vana'diel is my home.
    (6)

Character
    Zehira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    The best way to avoid watching more yells from bots in the towns is to have a linkshell (not a social linkshell) that does specific things weekly. The developers are creating more "instanced" battles for the reason. If you ever have found one that fits your personal schedule you will realize that these yells mean nothing to you at all. We are just the different teams with different preferences. Of course, people would cry when other people want to run their own bots in Dynamis D. I mean who would enjoy healing/buffing people for two hours straight twice or more every week? Yes, it was very stressful.
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Here's my solution: 8 Step process:
    1>Declare or create a server designated as a "Traditionalist" server.
    2>Bolster that "Traditionalist" server with a dozen champion tier GMs with bolstered data analysis tools for detection of adverse third party program/application use.
    3>Require user acceptance of enhanced data analysis prior to access to the "Traditionalist" server.
    4>With sufficient evidence any account in violation of FFXI ToS would be relocated off the "Traditionalist" server to a single declared "Anarchy" server.
    5>Accounts relocated to the single declared "Anarchy" server would be barred from server transfers.
    6>New "Traditionalist" server would allow for complimentary transfer for accounts in good standing from any existing server.
    7>To access the new "Traditionalist" server, a one time lifetime purchase for access to this server of suggesting $240.00. This would guarantee lifetime access for one account including 16 unrestricted character slots and lifetime access to both wardrobes 3 and 4, standard, for as long as that account remains a resident of the "Traditionalist" server.
    8>Modernize/Upgrade the seacom (/seacom) menu functions described or close to this description if possible;
    { Create communications channels based around the traditional /seacom categories. Can use /c or /w as a designation beginning.
    Examples: /cExp /cBattle /cMission /cQuest /cItem /cLinkshell /cSocial /cOther

Upgrade + Enhance + Overhaul the /seacom interface to include instructions about usage, instructions about etiquette, and the ability to search for key words displayed in the /seacom entry of any character that is displaying a /seacom.

Allow a /seacom to be set for each individual category with a blank /seacom being designated as disabled for that category. In this way each player can enable and display a /seacom for Exp ~ Battles ~ Missions & Quests ~ Item ~ Linkshell ~ Looking for Friends ~ Others.

With the enhancement of the /seacom interface for quicker search results; create and allow for content tags to be attached to /seacom.
    Example: a /seacom applied to the Exp category could be tagged with a level range bracket selection and desired vana'diel area.
    Example: a /seacom applied to the Item category could be tagged with a item type selection, a crafting source selection, a battle content type selection, a level usage selection etc, a auction house inventory category selection.

Detailed Example: Utu grip could be entered with text into the display of a /seacom under the {Item} category and then be tagged with {Omen} {LVL99} {Battlefield} {Grip} {Reisenjima}
    Detailed Example: Sublime sushi could be entered with text into the display of a /seacom under the {Item} category and then be tagged with {Cooking} {Food} {Synthesis} {Meals} {Seafood}.
    Allow for up to seven tags to be attached to each active /seacom. }
    (0)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 05-23-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I've found on Shiva, people actually help eachother out sometimes, and there's minimal RMT/merc shouts, but still enough people around to get things done when it comes down to it. If the BS gets too annyoing for you, come on down, we're pretty welcoming. >.>
    (1)

Character
    Moonja
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Yes, I know SE makes lots of money from people server transferring. Doesn't mean one still can't make another thread they won't read anyways. Something about if you don't ask or something...
    (0)

Player
    I personally am of the complete opposite opinion about Asura, I was on the verge of quitting before I came to Asura, it really saved the game for me, I couldn't get any group content done back on Fenrir, (As I'm not much of a multiboxer, no judgment on them, just not the way I like to play the game, I like playing with others.) on Asura there are enough people I can get groups to get things done, the "drama/troll" shouts and congestion in some areas are, to me, a small price to pay for having so many people to do things with.

I love the active mercing community here (by and large, sure, there are some bad apples but generally mercs are just people trying to be efficient like everyone else), sometimes I buy things from mercs, sometimes I merc in return, it's convenient, some fights and activities I like doing so I don't mind getting a group for it multiple times, sometimes I will already have the drop, selling it makes good sense to sell those extra drops rather than to let them go to waste. Sometimes I don't like a fight so it's more convenient to guarantee I can get something and then stop doing it by spending some gil.

I have no issue with anyone preferring smaller servers but I just want to say there are some serious upsides to the largeness of Asura and the mercenary market, IMO.

That said, I do agree congestion is a bit much at times, and there are some unsavory practices that happen on our server (Using bots to corner a market or block out a location from anyone farming it but them.) whether it's done by RMT or not, I'm not a fan of these practices. I don't claim to be knowledgeable enough about the server economy to fully understand the effect the server transferring really has on it, so I'm a bit neutral there.
    (2)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast