Results -9 to 0 of 13

Threaded View

Player
    This happens once every 1-2 years with various ISPs, this time it's an issue with Spectrum it seems but most ISPs have it at some point. It can happen in the UK or US.

It lasts 1-2 days usually and then it's gone.

I don't know the exact technical reason this happens but supposedly it's something to do with how the companies the ISP use for the backbone infrastructure/ DNS lookup sort out refreshing of the IP addresses or something. They do some work at certain times of the year and change some IP addresses or something in the backbone infrastructure and it takes a while for that to go into effect and that causes the issues. Other than using a VPN there is nothing you can do about it yourself so don't buy new gear or do changes to your computer. You just have to wait.

Again I'm not an expert but I believe the problem is that FFXI tells the game to hook-up to an address like ffxi-server.com instead of the more modern way of doing it of saying connect to 64.233.160.0. The numbers are directions to the correct server, the name system instead has to be transformed into the numbers via DNS lookup and that's the issue because the DNS gives the wrong number due to recent changes.

Someone can correct me if I mixed up the technical parts but that's a general idea of what the issue is, it's giving the wrong address to the server and it takes a few days for the changes they made to populate the entire system is ISP uses. It's pointless to contact Square, it's pointless to contact your ISP and you're just wasting your time and phone money.

Just wait the few days it takes to rectify itself or use a VPN.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pixela; 12-26-2019 at 12:14 AM.