Venat
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Game needs to improve on these

Majority of these are QoL

Teleports/Warps

Build a UI option to use the warp, teleport to any crag/crystal and retrace commands.

Remove/Alter warp spells, scrolls, rings, retrace, etc from the rest of the teleports from the game. Let the player unlock it in their teleport menu via keyitem.

Keep those items in the game but alternate them to something else with stats or options to be traded in. Changing Warp/Retrace to Vanish, Vanish II, Vanishaga as a black magic attack spell. Spell that does magic defense/magic evasion down maybe.

Change Field of Valor books into Red crystals without the option of "setting" home point.
    Keep all FoV options with red crystals.

Add all teleport and Field of Valor teleports to both red and blue crystals.
    Add a warp option for crystals to teleport directly inside of rhapsodies of vana'diel zones.

Starting Skill Rate

All combat and magic skills from the start of the game maxed at 300/350.

You quickly out level the skill rate gain and its boring to spam sparks items for skill gain.

Quest/Important markers

Helpful guide markers for map/npc heads for unlocking trusts, rank missions, Records of Eminence starting bits.

Weapon Skills

All weapons types should have a AOE weapon skill.

Combat for some of the jobs is lacking cus the lack of a area of effect weapon skill.

Allow for more weapon skill builds

STR shouldn't be the only stat Samurai uses for example. They should be allowed to use other parts of the stat on their gear for other new weapon skills.

Direct item to currency storage

All currency items no longer drop from loot pool to inventory but directly to our stored currency menu. Such as beastmen seals, crystals, vouchers etc. Which can be taken out by the storage npcs at a later date.

Relics

Relic/Mythic/Empyean/Aeonic weapons should be more on pare in damage and Augmented weapon skill options.

Remove main stats/weapon skill on the weapon. Let the player choose what stat and weapon skill they want there. If lets say your working on a dynamis relic and it becomes no longer best in slot to use its weapon skill, you have a option to change your stats and use the merit weapon skills instead and adjust the main weapon skill stats on the weapon.

Freedom

Allow everyone to unlock and merit to max all the merit weapon skills.

Shouldn't be stuck only having 3 weapon skills and being left out not using other jobs because the lack of access to them.

Server Merge

Other servers other then Asura seem a lot less active and hard to look for random players to do content with. I shouldn't be charged $18 to move to a server to actually play with people. If that's the case id just quit.

Playonline/Start Screen

Add direct login playonline to title screen without the multiple user agreements required for every login.

Hi Res Textures/New Engine

Modders shouldn't be the ones improving the games visuals. Since the game is PC only this shouldn't be a problem and would be a huge draw for returning players. Players recreating parts of the game in unreal engine seem to do wonders in combating old engine problems of the game. Such as draw distance and animation lock.

Remodeling Parts of the Game

With the goobue mount added players can now see over mountains exposing the void of the game.

Increased movement speed within cities

Title says it all...

Removing Examine text from the Game

Its annoying to keep getting the message and there seems to be some kind of culture annoyance for japanese players on the game. Them swapping their gear to kick the player from menu viewing them. Its a outdated bazaar feature that is no longer needed in the game.

Start using shorter terms on gear

We need start using shorter versions of stats Evasion=Eva., Magic Evasion=Mag. Eva., Mag. Def., Mag. Atk., Acc.

Item level displayed on gear needs adjusting

Too many gear above il100 varies way too much between each other in terms of item level value. Some of the best in slot gear is more like item level 137 and it should say it and some of the il117 and 119 sets are basically the same in terms of stats.

Targeting through walls

Shouldn't be a reason I am able to target npcs or other players through walls.

Map icons for various things

Dynamis entry location
    Dynamis Time extending spots
    Shop npc locations
    Currency/trade in npcs
    Voidwatcher spawn points
    NM Trade Spawn points

Increased Delivery Slots

See if you can increase it further.. 12 slots?
    (2)
    Last edited by Venat; 12-14-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    too many ideas in one post. Some of these do merit more discussion but I think you should break it down and discuss the ideas you're most passionate about in seperate theards, or use the main QOL thread.
    (2)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I didn't include everything, but I got a bulk of it. I agree that you should break them up in smaller chunks, but discussing ideas freely in here won't hurt and will help you flush it out when you feel ready to suggest it in the QoL thread. Even if you don't agree with everything I put, chances are someone may have these same questions. Use this time to understand other ways to view this so you can lay out/articulate the responses. I like it though. Please know this is constructive and I hope that my take makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Venat View Post
    Majority of these are QoL

Teleports/Warps

Build a UI option to use the warp, teleport to any crag/crystal and retrace commands.
    I like this idea, but before we get this we should ask them to revamp the UI system. They were about to do it before later backing out.

Starting Skill Rate

All combat and magic skills from the start of the game maxed at 300/350.

You quickly out level the skill rate gain and its boring to spam sparks items for skill gain.
    I do not agree with this. Being an adventurer is hard work. If you don't want to spam spark items, then eat some food that enhances skill up and do it the old fashion way. This game should stop spoon feeding players easy content.

Quest/Important markers

Helpful guide markers for map/npc heads for unlocking trusts, rank missions, Records of Eminence starting bits.
    There is ffxiclopedia that has all this information. Being forced to look at it to learn where it is helps you understand the detail of this game.

Weapon Skills

All weapons types should have a AOE weapon skill.

Combat for some of the jobs is lacking cus the lack of a area of effect weapon skill.
    What jobs?

Allow for more weapon skill builds

STR shouldn't be the only stat Samurai uses for example. They should be allowed to use other parts of the stat on their gear for other new weapon skills.
    I don't agree with this since we have afterglow, enhancing spells and songs, as well as food, that greatly improve the capabilities of any job. However, I think that They could build more into Skillchains with aftermath effects.

Direct item to currency storage

All currency items no longer drop from loot pool to inventory but directly to our stored currency menu. Such as beastmen seals, crystals, vouchers etc. Which can be taken out by the storage npcs at a later date.
    I think the Gob NPC should be able to store them and it should be list under the currency 2 as a way to reflect on how much a player has.

Relics

Relic/Mythic/Empyean/Aeonic weapons should be more on pare in damage and Augmented weapon skill options.

Remove main stats/weapon skill on the weapon. Let the player choose what stat and weapon skill they want there. If lets say your working on a dynamis relic and it becomes no longer best in slot to use its weapon skill, you have a option to change your stats and use the merit weapon skills instead and adjust the main weapon skill stats on the weapon.
    They said they will enhance all relic weapons at a later time. This was brought up when they addressed that they did not enhance MNK's final heaven and their rational. That stated, I do not agree with the fluidness of the idea of being able to remove main stats and weapon skill. This game is not meant to be easy and requires work. How many players farmed the materials for REMA and would feel their hard work meant nothing if they did this? Just put the work in and get the other WS's if you really desire for BIS.

Allow everyone to unlock and merit to max all the merit weapon skills.
    This game is about choices. Not everyone can main everything. This forces people to pick their specialty and stick with it. Now of course, you can in theory merit a ton of these WS one time and achieve some of what you're asking for. But the WS's wont be as strong. And I agree with it. If everyone had this, it has the potential for others to force players into jobs they may not want to play.

Server Merge

Other servers other then Asura seem a lot less active and hard to look for random players to do content with. I shouldn't be charged $18 to move to a server to actually play with people. If that's the case id just quit.
    I don't think it's that high. But even so, the FFXI team needs funds to make money. The easier method would be to have optional server transfers from Asura to less populated servers. They've done this with Carbuncle and Hades, for example, and it came to no cost of the player. This would allow server population to balance out and resources to be scattered more.

Hi Res Textures/New Engine

Modders shouldn't be the ones improving the games visuals. Since the game is PC only this shouldn't be a problem and would be a huge draw for returning players. Players recreating parts of the game in unreal engine seem to do wonders in combating old engine problems of the game. Such as draw distance and animation lock.
    I am for this, but where will the money come from to rework the entire game?

Remodeling Parts of the Game

With the goobue mount added players can now see over mountains exposing the void of the game.
    I completely agree and would love for them to make secret caves/dungeons that only appear in certain times and/or only accessable by special chocobos/mounts.

Removing Examine text from the Game
    You should know. There has been threads that had a LOL player thread in which players that were geared poorly were mocked behind their back. The examine feature at least warned them someone was looking at what they had.

Targeting through walls

Shouldn't be a reason I am able to target npcs or other players through walls.
    An engine issue I think but I could be wrong. If it is, it won't be easy to fix unless they recreate the engine from scratch which is $$$. Anyone with knowledge on this, please enlighten us on this possibility.
    (0)
    Last edited by Seish; 12-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Character
    Venat
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seish View Post
    I
    Game shouldn't be completely dependent on wikis. Some in game hand holding is needed for tutorial bits of the game or any new features they add that is designed to be given at the very start of the game. Like trusts.

You missed the meaning about the goobue mount. Because they added a tall mount and increased the camera for that mount and maybe the Dhmael..? You can now see over stuff you shouldn't have been able to when they first created the game back in 2002. They would either have to remove tall mounts or remodel some parts of the game to hide the empty space in the game.

I wouldn't have a problem with spark skill ups if they went above 0.5 skill, but they don't. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this cus the code is only designed to add by 0.5s as a limit.

"being adventurer is hard work". Would agree to keep this but were no longer in the 2002-2007 era and majority of our time spent now is between lv99-119. Since they can't fix the skill gain cap in the game its better off just starting off everyone with a standard free skill number until lv75/80 where they can continue to grow it.

The game is about choices sure but the meta of the game changes so much just when they add in a new weapon skill with a different stat modifire. The merit skills shouldn't be where that is. I shouldn't be required in a game where I can change to any job to be able to make another character just so I have access to other weapon skills on another job. Its backward thinking and wouldn't break anything endgame if they did it.

"What jobs?" All jobs should have aoe weapon skills.

Its mostly japanese player base that kick you from examine. Regardless of gear. If it really that important then why doesn't xiv have it? It was probably a random idea they had taken from everquest back in 2002 and thought they needed it for players checking bazaars. Plus the kicking out of menu is just a cause of the player changing gear and wouldn't be fixed unless they redid the whole character modeling process and equipment process. Think its better that they just get rid of the text to hide the fact that someone is examining you.

I doubt anyone will want to move off of asura. The game is mostly instanced based now and not guilds camping HNMs.

Moving/building everything over to a new engine yes it will cost money. Will it bring in money? Yes. Up to square enix if they want more money. Doesn't even take much to HD the current game. Basically 1 person is doing it already with in their spare time and 1/4 the zone are like zone already. Majority of being computer learning taking the very low res images and making them 4k. Would look better if it was made from scratch cus there is a lot of a lack of detail when you do it.

Plus some of the texture UV wrap in the game wasn't perfect and they could redo if they wanted too so textures seemlessly wrap around a object and don't leave any lines. Which takes a lot of time and attention to details left by the people working on the game in the past.

I would post links and stuff but I don't think its allowed here or how open xi dev team supports tools and mods to the game. Even though players using it in their youtube videos clearly show that they use them and they aren't band from the game.
    (1)
    Last edited by Venat; 12-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Game shouldn't be completely dependent on wikis. Some in game hand holding is needed for tutorial bits of the game or any new features they add that is designed to be given at the very start of the game. Like trusts.
    They've added lots of in-game help over the yearse Having to figure stuff out was part of the magic in the game in its early years. Now nobody wants to think, and if you don't know how to do something it isn't even wikis anymore, it's just "copy the youtube video." Heck its getting harder and harder for me to find text gudies to things over videos, as I find a written guide easier to refer to and learn form rather than trying to imitate a video.

Point is, MMOs are huge and guides are basically needed The devs *wanted* you to work with other players to learn how to do things. It promoted community and helped to forge friendships and bonds. The biggest problem with today's MMOs is the community sucks. Everyone does everything by themselves unless they absolutely have to seek help. Granted, today people often don't have the same amount of time for these games that we used to.
    (2)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I agree with Alanhelem on this and the solution won't be easy. But these games are not meant to feed players easy gear. But aside from that point, I would like to address the issue that wasn't mentioned

You missed the meaning about the goobue mount. Because they added a tall mount and increased the camera for that mount and maybe the Dhmael..? You can now see over stuff you shouldn't have been able to when they first created the game back in 2002. They would either have to remove tall mounts or remodel some parts of the game to hide the empty space in the game.
    The point I was making here was I agree and I think that not only should they fix the textures so that it's not noticeable, it also gives them an opportunity to enhance the gameplay by adding additional content. Because if you are going to edit the maps to reduce seeing empty spaces in the game, it is also the time to fill in newer accessible areas in a map.

I wouldn't have a problem with spark skill ups if they went above 0.5 skill, but they don't. There doesn't seem to be a way to fix this cus the code is only designed to add by 0.5s as a limit.
    Again, there is skillup food that increases the rate of skillups. If you don't want to use the stuff. Eat up skillup food and go and skill up somewhere. Want the skillups to process faster? Wait 'til they have an event that increases the rate of skillups. If you do that, eating specific food will only enhance it further.

"being adventurer is hard work". Would agree to keep this but were no longer in the 2002-2007 era and majority of our time spent now is between lv99-119. Since they can't fix the skill gain cap in the game its better off just starting off everyone with a standard free skill number until lv75/80 where they can continue to grow it.
    Or they can introduce content that requires bigger parties, more teamwork, and increased difficulty so you don't need to feel you have to have those WS's. But if you really wanted to have every WS, just put one merit in each WS and I think you would end up with all of them--if not all most.

The game is about choices sure but the meta of the game changes so much just when they add in a new weapon skill with a different stat modifire. The merit skills shouldn't be where that is. I shouldn't be required in a game where I can change to any job to be able to make another character just so I have access to other weapon skills on another job. Its backward thinking and wouldn't break anything endgame if they did it.
    Then you should make smart choices as to what you want to do with your character. Or consider making an alt. I think that this is one of those easy buttons I keep talking about. You wanna make a character as decked out as possible in order to do whatever you want. You do realize that the more they give into this, the party dynamics also reduce even more. Requiring even less people to play and content more dull and boring, like we see with Domain Invasion. They need more content like Dynamis D, and they need to maintain clear distinction between jobs to maintain the mechanics we still have.

And with all the content out there, with respect to changing REMA weapons to the stats of the same category for said weapon type, they should make players work for it. This game is meant to make you work for your successes. If you want to be able to do what you're asking, play Guild Wars I, because you can have the BiS with modifying any weapon with Tomes. But this isn't Guild Wars, this is FFXI and achieving something that takes a lot of work. If you really want those other stats with your REMA, then make another weapon. I will rest this point however that the augment system kind of does what you ask, but falls short of full customization--which I am for. Hell, you could even learn the empy WS and the mythic WS without even having the mythic or empy weapons equipped. So as far as that is concerned, I don't understand why it's an issue for those weapons.

"being adventurer is hard work""What jobs?" All jobs should have aoe weapon skills.
    I am trying to suggest that this game is hard work. You want content to increase your QoL, but you fail to see how this hurts the job dynamics. Just put the work in the game. I meant that with no insult at all. A lot of players that I talked to expressed the reason they quit was because how easy the game has become. Rather than trying to make it even easier to solo, perhaps the developers should figure how to make the game more challenging with the player size that we have.

As far as the examining is concerned, this is XI and there is a reason knowing when you are examined to give you a chance to blink and to prevent people from screenshotting your build to either steal idea and/or joke you. FFXI has had, and still has, a culture in which they trolled people for bad gear. This is at least a warning someone might attempt to do just that to blink.

I doubt anyone will want to move off of asura. The game is mostly instanced based now and not guilds camping HNMs.
    Having doubt isn't the same as knowing for certain they wouldn't. It would be an optional service that would be provided to players in a event to transfer to x server if they so choose. It is the answer to your question without killing any needed revenue for the game.

Moving/building everything over to a new engine yes it will cost money. Will it bring in money? Yes. Up to square enix if they want more money. Doesn't even take much to HD the current game. Basically 1 person is doing it already with in their spare time and 1/4 the zone are like zone already. Majority of being computer learning taking the very low res images and making them 4k. Would look better if it was made from scratch cus there is a lot of a lack of detail when you do it.
    There is a difference between using an HD Mod pack and recreating an entirely new game from the ground up. These mods are like wrappers over the existing graphics to achieve better quality at the cost of PC performance and sometimes lead to glitching in specific situations. So they would have to rework it and most likely from scratch and it will cost them a lot of money. They need revenue to even consider this and that isn't something the FFXI team can control.
    (0)
    Last edited by Seish; 12-16-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    So, this Mona Lisa oil painting thing. It is a legendary timeless classic work of art.

But she just sits there smiling enigmatically. I think we should change it. Add some disco lights, make her do some breakdancing and twerking. She should be able to shoot laser beams, and do kickboxing. It is so slow and boring when she just sits there smiling enigmatically.

When I log in to FFXI, even today, I feel a sense of reverence. FFXI is a timeless classic work of art. Vana'diel is a place of solace and sanctuary to me.

I personally liked the level 75 era best, I liked the fact that Vana'diel was so vast and dangerous, and mysterious. We didn't have all the answers, we didn't know how to finish quests. We died on the way to experience-points camps. It was unpredictable. It was inconvenient. It felt real. I loved it.

I understand that many people wanted to change stuff, and also that the Devs had their own organic plans for development. I understand that oil paintings are not the same as computergames. Some people really wanted changes, I get it, and I am not here to shoot down other people's opinions.

There have been a lot of minor QOL tweaks that I liked, especially /lockstyleset for wearing visual clothes/costumes over the top of battle-armour. I didn't mind small tweaks and improvements. But I never wanted the fundamental core game to change.

I'm just saying that, to me, 2004 FFXI is a Timeless Classic work of art. And I still log-in today, with a sense of admiration and respect, and reverence, for the beauty and majesty of Vana'diel. The original 2004 FFXI will always be my favourite computergame in the history of the universe.

I just think we should appreciate Classic Legendary things for what they are. They are not perfect, they might seem dated, but they became Classic Legends for a reason, and we should always appreciate that. Sometimes it is better to just enjoy that enigmatic smile on the Mona Lisa, and respect it for what it is.
    (2)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    WompaStompa, is that you?

That aside, I agree. Some of the QoL I liked a lot and I think that it freshens the game. But to go so far to dramatically change a game to where job distinction is harmed is something we should avoid.
    (0)
    Last edited by Seish; 12-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    However someone looks at modern FFXI, the game is still developed to be a multi-player title. Design and perspective are always going to factor multi-player considerations as a priority, which it should.

Concerning weaponskills... Equipment that slots into weaponry slots that modifies a specific weaponskill for higher dmg/potency is harmful. This currently does exist and it should be removed. If that type of property is to exist in the game it should be placed on equipment other than the weaponry. There are plenty of locations for these properties to be placed. {Armor/Ammo/Belt/Ring/Neck} SE has shown that adjustments to items and creation of items is easily within their capabilities with their current employee talent. Promotion of skillchain strategies and encouragement of this core FFXI mechanic should be one of the top priorities to stimulate and restore coordination between party members. Placing properties for higher dmg/potency of a weaponskill on the weaponry item desecrates the compatibility of the characters that utilize these weapons. As has been eluded to within this topic to warrant the use of a different weaponskill the loss of an individual's weaponskill damage would have to retain a beneficial overall result, or a character would determine that yet another grueling burden associated with a top tier weapon that strengthens that different weaponskill compels it's construction. Regardless, with the property for increased weaponskill dmg/potency for a specific weaponskill attached to the weaponry itself, is disastrous for inclusiveness, compatibility, coordination and cooperation.

Do not be constrained to seeing battle mechanics as narcissistic conditions.

Concerning skillchains... It is time for SE to universalize the time frame windows of opportunity for multi-step skillchains, and the time frame windows of opportunity for magic bursts. Along with the above recommendations for compatibility and inclusiveness, the skillchain, one of the core defining mechanics of FFXI needs to be invigorated back into prominent strategies.
    Every weaponry type in the game additionally needs a respectable weaponskill that has no skillchain property that can scale with the power progression of level and equipment for uses in circumstances when TP is ready for a weaponskill but interruption of a skillchain or self-absorbed TP utilization destroys a coordinated strategy for magic bursts and skillchains. This can be achieved by selecting a weaponskill that currently exists for each weaponry type, removing the skillchain property and reformulating it's equation for damage produced upon use to be competitive or individually more desirable by a few % compared with a weaponskill that has a skillchain property.

Concerning Magic Bursts... The diminishing damage results of multiple magic bursts needs to be removed when a skillchain is produced with weaponskills. This is harmful to BLM as a job, it is harmful to any job in the game with the capability to execute a magic burst. As the interaction currently exists, it is undermining inclusiveness, compatibility, and coordination. The current diminishing results of magic bursts can and probably should be retained when Immanence is both the opening and closing catalyst of a skillchain effect. This can and should additionally be adjusted to where a immanence and a true weaponskill interact so that only half the penalty of the diminishing damage of multiple magic bursts occurs.

Concerning { Item level displayed on gear needs adjusting } ... This is what SE uses to formulate the relative strength of your trusts. Unless SE changes the way in which your trusts are created, this will not change.

Concerning { Direct item to currency storage } ... These items are still subject to multi-player treasure distribution and their behavior will not change. You could instead suggest an inventory solution within the UI to where these items automatically get sent into a designated bag that the player could determine.

Concerning { Merit point learned weaponskills } ... I agree here that this category of merits that correspond with the aeonic obtained weaponskills should be allowed unlimited maximization.

Concerning the proposal that would result in less effort required by the player for skillups... I agree with Seish here. The game currently spoon-feeds players beyond what it should. Skill books are meant to be supplemental and not your primary means of attaining skill ups. Event bonuses, food bonuses, trust bonuses, equipment bonuses: there is a very very very large selection of accommodations to accelerate skill up gains.

Concerning teleports & warps... Very few alterations here are warranted. Survival books and home points have a handful of locations where an addition should be made. The character display of the survival books themselves could be enlarged a bit for quick visual recognition.

Part of FFXI is discovery and exploration so the subject of map markers is delicate and needs to be addressed with caution.
    (2)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 12-16-2019 at 01:18 PM.