Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Player
    I'm not a fan of the how if I choose to do my now daily DI task I have 40 minutes of downtime and maybe 10 minutes of watching somebody else kill the dragon to get my max allowed points per day. When you add up the time to get the 1000 point items I'm spending over 10 hours of waiting for dragons to pop and not even an hour after that for the kills. When you are waiting longer for the content than it takes to complete the content on a daily task, it sucks any enjoyment whatsoever out of it.
    (3)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Should i even bring up the history of level 75 cap Kings and Sky ?
    (2)

Player
    The game has moved on from that style of events to more of an on-demand, enjoy while you want style. For the most part the long waits to enjoy content have been eliminated for force pops and events that you just need the KI to enter. Imagine how little you would want to do omen if you had to wait 10 minutes in between floors. Yet the 1 entry every 20 hours and letting you save up to 4 entries means you don't get to just burn through the event either.
    (1)

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by TullemoreAsuraFFXI View Post
    Should i even bring up the history of level 75 cap Kings and Sky ?
    Someone knows their history.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I remember waiting for up to 3 hours at nidhogg for a pop, playing iSketch with other waiting players during the downtime between windows. The game even had an FFXI wordlist because it became so much of a destination for FFXI players waiting for abitrary monster spawn conditions.

(Note, iSketch is actually still online but it needs adobe shockwave and adboe flash to work making it a pain on modern PCs...)
    (1)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I'll play you Alhan
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quoting part of a reply i left in a different topic that addresses potential adjusments to FFXI.

However someone looks at modern FFXI, the game is still developed to be a multi-player title. Design and perspective are always going to factor multi-player considerations as a priority, which it should.

Concerning weaponskills... Equipment that slots into weaponry slots that modifies a specific weaponskill for higher dmg/potency is harmful. This currently does exist and it should be removed. If that type of property is to exist in the game it should be placed on equipment other than the weaponry. There are plenty of locations for these properties to be placed. {Armor/Ammo/Belt/Ring/Neck} SE has shown that adjustments to items and creation of items is easily within their capabilities with their current employee talent. Promotion of skillchain strategies and encouragement of this core FFXI mechanic should be one of the top priorities to stimulate and restore coordination between party members. Placing properties for higher dmg/potency of a weaponskill on the weaponry item desecrates the compatibility of the characters that utilize these weapons. As has been eluded to within the original topic; to warrant the use of a different weaponskill, the loss of an individual's weaponskill damage would have to retain a beneficial overall result, or a character would determine that yet another grueling burden associated with a top tier weapon that strengthens that different weaponskill compels it's construction. Regardless, with the property for increased weaponskill dmg/potency for a specific weaponskill attached to the weaponry itself, is disastrous for inclusiveness, compatibility, coordination and cooperation.

Do not be constrained to seeing battle mechanics as narcissistic conditions.

Concerning skillchains... It is time for SE to universalize the time frame windows of opportunity for multi-step skillchains, and the time frame windows of opportunity for magic bursts. Along with the above recommendations for compatibility and inclusiveness, the skillchain, one of the core defining mechanics of FFXI needs to be invigorated back into prominent strategies.
    Every weaponry type in the game additionally needs a respectable weaponskill that has no skillchain property that can scale with the power progression of level and equipment for uses in circumstances when TP is ready for a weaponskill but interruption of a skillchain or self-absorbed TP utilization destroys a coordinated strategy for magic bursts and skillchains. This can be achieved by selecting a weaponskill that currently exists for each weaponry type, removing the skillchain property and reformulating it's equation for damage produced upon use to be competitive or individually more desirable by a few % compared with a weaponskill that has a skillchain property.

Concerning Magic Bursts... The diminishing damage results of multiple magic bursts needs to be removed when a skillchain is produced with weaponskills. This is harmful to BLM as a job, it is harmful to any job in the game with the capability to execute a magic burst. As the interaction currently exists, it is undermining inclusiveness, compatibility, and coordination. The current diminishing results of magic bursts can and probably should be retained when Immanence is both the opening and closing catalyst of a skillchain effect. This can and should additionally be adjusted to where an Immanence and a true weaponskill interact so that only half the penalty of the diminishing damage of multiple magic bursts occurs.
    (0)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 12-16-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Player
    @Tullemore: I absolutely agree that the "penalty incurred for successive elemental magic skill spells" (hereby referring to this as "nuke wall" cuz I ain't typing all that again, lol) has long since outlived any sort of usefulness that was originally intended. It's a holdover from the old days, when it was meant to prevent an army of BLM going out and wrecking things that no other jobs could pull off as safely or reliably. The problem is that the only time that a player got anywhere near the cast/recast reduction caps was when RDM popped Chainspell, so even back then the nuke wall didn't really seem to kick in till the 3rd/4th BLM got added to the mix, while nowadays it's an expectation for every mage to be capped out at full -80% reduction and even a lone BLM is quite capable of butting up against it. We're also long past the days when BLM was the only solid source of Elemental Magic skill based damage, so it hamstrings a surprisingly large number of jobs from using their nukes at all to avoid nerfing a stronger caster. SCH/GEO/RDM are all quite capable of doing 99k MBs too, but tend to be excluded from this subject. Let's not also forget that DRK can do lowtier nukes too, and the nuke wall basically removes that entire aspect from most players' line of sight! I don't remember if NIN gets impacted or not.. All that the nuke wall accomplishes at this point is removing Elemental Magic from the minds of many players as a viable alternative to WS spam, and that needs to go away.

However, I don't agree with you on your other points. Speaking of WS spam, it's simply too viable a group strategy for most to bother with anything else. Coordinating a skillchain requires actual coordination between players, both to create the SC and for mages to MB. The total damage output of the skillchain+MB is frequently less than simply spamming a WS button as close to 1k TP as possible, particularly if more than ONE melee is involved. Yes, if you have 2+ melees in combat, then both will often end up being required to sit on TP (possibly going over 3k in the meantime,) and the damage loss from those WS that didn't get fired off is often not made up for between the SC+MB (in part because of the nuke wall inhibiting mage performance.) We are well past the era when nuking was the highest potential damage source, and in an age where it's far from uncommon for WS to hit 99k followed by 99k WS followed by 99k SC and then repeated ad nauseum.. When there is often no perceived benefit from utilizing the SC/MB systems, they will often be ignored. They only way to encourage us to start taking advantage of it again would be to remove the nuke wall and stop with the ridiculous trend of absurdly anti-magic targets.

Increasing SC window times also won't do much of anything positive for encouraging group play until mages going boom becomes attractive enough to compete on equal footing with TP burns. At a bare minimum, that'd involve taking down the nuke wall. (Surprising how many of the problems that discourage nuking as a strategy are utterly dependent on that archaic system, no?) Removing SC properties from any WS actually sounds like a disaster in waiting. Unless this was applied to only the lowest level WS across the board, (which would probably be the least destructive choice,) if it were implemented, then it would just about guarantee that quite a few jobs would end up getting screwed over. Do you really expect the devs to properly test, observe players and figure out which choices would do the least amount of harm to play? I don't, and while this might sound like a nice idea to you at first, it would almost undoubtedly end up as an effective nerf to all jobs that whack, stab, or shoot things once they get locked out of making certain skillchains.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Ok, i'll compile an amateur's list of existing weaponskills that could be retro-fitted to be scaling in damage throughout level ranges and with equipment to be a pure damage attack competitive with our current high tier damage production WS while removing the skillchain property which would not harm any prior use of the WS.

HtH - Shoulder Tackle

Dagger - Shadowstitch {Retain animation, make stat modifiers 50%dex 50% agi with dmg varies based on TP, chance to bind varies with accuracy}

Sword - Spirits Within (Already has no skillchain property, will only need to scale this WS damage through reworking equation to factor in character level + attack + stat modifier)

Greatsword - Crescent Moon or Hard Slash

Axe - Avalanche Axe or Spinning Axe

Great Axe - Iron Tempest

Scythe - Nightmare Scythe (Rework to have dmg varies based on TP, retain blindness proc)

Polearm - Skewer

Katana - Blade: Jin

Great Katana - Tachi: Hobaku (Add dmg varies based on TP)

Staff - Heavy Swing

Club - Brainshaker (Add dmg varies based on TP)

Archery - Dulling Arrow (Remove chance of critical hit varies with TP, always crits, add dmg varies based on TP)

Marksmanship - Sniper Shot (Remove chance of critical hit varies with TP, always crits, add dmg varies based on TP)

Obviously retooling the damage equations to account for character level for these WS to achieve desirable results from skill level access to ilvl 119 would take some experimentation and mathematical talent prior to an official release.

Creation of and enabling a whole new palette of weaponskills to serve this purpose obtainable at skill level 50 might be more appeasing to the players and staff members at Square-Enix, but that would require the development of new animations and implanting all new coding associated with designing new weaponskills.
    (0)
    Last edited by TullemoreAsuraFFXI; 12-16-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Character
    Suteru
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    On high-population servers like Asura, it's become completely impossible to gain more than the minimum amount of beads from Domain Invasion. Combine that with the staggered pop times, drastically increases the time required to gather beads for Aeonic weapons. I feel it is necessary to increase the rate of bead gain when the boss is killed very quickly.

Thank you.
    (1)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast