Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33

Which i119 set first?

I've seen the guides that list out a bunch of gear where it seems every single piece comes from some entirely different content. Ok, that's BiS, I get it...

But when looking at which i119 set to start with... well, what armor should I start with? This doesn't seem to be something that job guides really touch on.

I'm not asking for a specific job because I'm not sure what job I want to take to 119 yet - but I'd like to know how to evaluate which 119 set to use as a foundation. AF/relic/empyrean reforged+1 sets, for example, all seem to be pretty similar with only minor differences... but which of those minor differences tend to be important?
    (0)

Player
    You can't ask "what to get first" and not designate a job.

The only answer you can get with 'which first' is go to the peacekeepers coalition and get the 119 armor from them first. Then throw it away because it's useless, but it's the first set. Then NQ ambuscade (both) sets.
    (1)

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    You can't ask "what to get first" and not designate a job.

The only answer you can get with 'which first' is go to the peacekeepers coalition and get the 119 armor from them first. Then throw it away because it's useless, but it's the first set. Then NQ ambuscade (both) sets.
    Is there a particular reason to go for those over reforged sets first?

edit: After looking through the coalitions' 119 armor, you are right, those look pretty useless. I'm not sure why those are worth comparing to reforged artifact/relic/empyrean.
    (0)
    Last edited by Ris; 11-08-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Player
    Because you didn't designate a job, or say if you were solo, or had people to help, or were buying from mercs. You vague question got the easiest answer.
    (1)

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    Quote Originally Posted by Isola View Post
    Because you didn't designate a job, or say if you were solo, or had people to help, or were buying from mercs. You vague question got the easiest answer.
    Solo.

I've been primarily considering WHM, PUP, and SMN. Maybe THF in a pinch.

With that said, my questions are oriented about the reforged+1's because that seems to be the armor that the game wants to throw at new players, and those without existing friends or mercs to get gear for them. Even if it's not the best in the long run - since the game seems to give it out almost for free - I'd like to know which of those reforged+1 sets makes the best starting point. Unless they're all very garbage...
    (0)

Character
    Tullemore
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Reforged +1 empy for WHM (abyssea initial source) is very good, priority legs->body->head->hands|feet. That by no means completely sets you up fully for WHM, as you'll want to acquire a whole wardrobe of equipment to get competent for +FastCast +Healing potency +MpRefresh/Tick +M.acc/M.skill -Damage Taken/+M.eva (survival) and +Enhancing potency/skill/duration items.

To play offensive SMN well, you'll want a tremendous amount of high-end farming that becomes very expensive in terms of time investment and costs of crafted material. Armors are primarily +3 AF Reforge / +1 cursed/abj. escha / augmented merlinic. A dozen or more accessories from Omen/Escha/Adoulin content/Crafting. There's a few paths to utilize for a -BP delay timers set, but getting your -BP delay timer down is significantly important for both BP rage and BP ward. As with whm you'll desire items to allocate for +FastCast +Healing potency +MpRefresh/Tick -Damage taken/+m.eva (survival) and +potency/duration related to casting/receiving a RDM or /rdm sub-job refresh cast on you.
    (0)

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    Quote Originally Posted by TullemoreAsuraFFXI View Post
    Reforged +1 empy for WHM (abyssea initial source) is very good, priority legs->body->head->hands|feet. That by no means completely sets you up fully for WHM, as you'll want to acquire a whole wardrobe of equipment to get competent for +FastCast +Healing potency +MpRefresh/Tick +M.acc/M.skill -Damage Taken/+M.eva (survival) and +Enhancing potency/skill/duration items.

To play offensive SMN well, you'll want a tremendous amount of high-end farming that becomes very expensive in terms of time investment and costs of crafted material. Armors are primarily +3 AF Reforge / +1 cursed/abj. escha / augmented merlinic. A dozen or more accessories from Omen/Escha/Adoulin content/Crafting. There's a few paths to utilize for a -BP delay timers set, but getting your -BP delay timer down is significantly important for both BP rage and BP ward. As with whm you'll desire items to allocate for +FastCast +Healing potency +MpRefresh/Tick -Damage taken/+m.eva (survival) and +potency/duration related to casting/receiving a RDM or /rdm sub-job refresh cast on you.
    Thanks for all the info.

About SMN in particular - it looks like the Glyphic+1 and Convoker's+1 provide the most BP delay bonuses. Would one of these sets make a decent one to start with?
    (0)