Thread: pre-apex EXP?

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33

pre-apex EXP?

I just hit level 99 and while I can tank them forever, I can't touch apex mobs.

I know I have a lot of questing ahead of me but sometimes I just want to relax and murderize mobs for a bit. But all the level 99 EXP guides are apex this, apex that. Is there anything I can fight for decent exp at 99/i117 that isn't apex?
    (0)

Player
    Basically anything in any adoulin area, that isn't apex
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    I like the eurcas in the... doh? gates? (The area near the morimar basalt fields frontier station). But you're on asura, so that place is probably going to be full all the time.

If you just want the satisfaction of smashing stuff, my favorite place for off-meta jobs or playstyles is the dullahans and gargoyles nearest the home point in the Inner Court. easy stuff but still good for grinding if you can kill fast.
    (0)

Character
    Naveryn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 33
    I'll check it out, thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    ...my favorite place for off-meta jobs or playstyles...
    But... is this implying you need to be a meta job to go for apex mobs? I would kind of expect a meta for like, endgame raids or whatever. Less so for basic farming...
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ris View Post
    I'll check it out, thanks for the info

But... is this implying you need to be a meta job to go for apex mobs? I would kind of expect a meta for like, endgame raids or whatever. Less so for basic farming...
    No. If you're geared up you can go pretty much anywhere with Trust. But some jobs will inevitably be faster than others, so I recommend it as a place where anyone can kill reasonably fast and safe for JP grinding.

The eruca camp is just a step below the most popular apex camps and its actually really good IMO. But it can be full up at times on Shiva, so I imagine its always busy on Asura.

Remember in FFXI, every job was built with a purpose in mind. Unlike FFXIV, not every job that can do DPS is equally capable, but rather have specific things or cases where they are meant to excel. when I say "meta" I basically mean the most all-around used jobs. Pretty much every job has a use case where it is well desired, but some can be used more than others just by the nature of how they were designed to work.

To anyone outside of FFXI that's used to WoW or FFXIV, they call this bad game design, but its really not- FFXI was built with the understanding that you can play and level any or all of the jobs and switch between them as needed- so it's okay if one job is less useful for X fight and more useful for Y fight, because you can always change if it's not working- The only problem is people tend to fall in love with one or two jobs and don't really want to switch from them if they don't have to. And this is why games like FFXIV strove for equal balance between jobs in the same core role.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 11-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Character
    Voidstorm
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    I'd also suggest escha and Reisenjima as you can be on the lookout while still in zone for anyone doing Domain Invasion and join in for the extra regen/refresh/accuracy. Also, you'll want a mountain of Fern/Taupe/Pelucid stones at some point down the line.
    Might as well do a bit of farming while getting job points.
    (0)