Character
    Gracelin
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99

Death Blossom update please

I think it's time to update this weapon skill. -10 magic evasion was mildly useful at level 75 when this was first introduced, but it was still chance based and required you to melee at level 75, which Red Mage didn't have a whole lot of tools to do so.

In the item level era, -10 magic evasion is absolutely worthless. We have an abundance of magic accuracy everywhere, and Frazzle III is infinitely more powerful and doesn't have the weapon skill conditional use (except for dark resistant mobs). Not to mention, they do the same thing. Why double up on magic evasion down effects instead of making Death Blossom unique?

I would like to see the additional effect of Death Blossom changed to magic defense down. We have no tools for that currently as Red Mage, and I think it's beyond time we get one. We have evasion down (Distract), defense down (Dia), magic evasion down (Frazzle), so let's turn Death Blossom in to magic defense down.
    (4)

Character
    Jakuk
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    IMO Death Blossom should be changed to Magic Damage based on the new image they seem to want RDM to be.
    (0)

Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1
    +1. (Also, improving upon the RDM mythic in general would be great. 2:1 Convert ratio is so lame).
    (0)

Character
    Kalsena
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I could go all sorts of ways on this, personally.

In general, I agree that -10 is small potatoes and does nothing to ultimately curb the stigma of melee impracticality. A unique -10% that stacks with other sources, though, could be a far more tempting premise.

In terms of damage output, the WS being physical doesn't really pander to the class' current strengths, no. Making it comparable or better to Sanguine Blade might be an option, though I'd also consider some other unique factors like current Enspell value translating to some kind of damage boost or weapon damage mod. In terms of other unique utility, one of my old requests was that it would extend the duration of current debuffs on a target and/or further improve their efficacy. Basically, take all those Saboteur'd debuffs and make them that much juicier on more durable prey.

But the whole melee viability has been an ancient pet project of mine, much to the chagrin of some here or other XI sites. I'll acknowledge we're in a far better place now than back in the day, but there are still some nudges to further cement a unique job identity.
    (0)