Character
    Slib
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Job Update requests / thoughts...

Hey everyone,

I would like to share some thoughts on areas black mage could use some improvements...

1) Base nuke damage seems very low, making many fights require a Skillchain to be set up in order to push out decent damage.

2) Ancient Magic 2 needs to be looked at. They are very far behind in the games current state.

3) Is it possible to add more spells yet to the BLM list? Spells like Virus, Curse, or even Aga 4 and Aga 5 spells.

4) Can we remove the AoE damage reduction if there is more than one enemy hit? Right now Black Mage seems to be the only one affected by this. Weapon skills are unaffected, blue magic is unaffected, bst pets are unaffected and so are smn avatars. Why Black Mage?

5) Can the WS, Vidohunir, be adjusted to have extra damage based on tp? Similar to Leaden Salute and True Flight?

6) My last one! Might be too overpowered, but can we have a way to reduce Mana Wall cooldown?

Anyone else have any suggestions?
    (3)

Character
    Stoobey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I've not played BLM since I came back a couple of years ago, it seemed to have become a one trick pony, all about the bursting.

I loved what aht urhgan did for BLM at 75 (I know this may of not been popular), it released it from being a bursting job only to where you could solo or low man NM's which could destroy an alliance.

It would be great to see BLM get it's independence back, although this would probably require a big change with gameplay and future enemy development, so may not be possible
    (0)

Player
    All except 3 are totally reasonable. No new spells. Just make existing ones better.
    (1)

Character
    Zuidar
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    especially that elemental wall resistance with NMs that build resistance when casting the same elemental magic spell of the same element
    (0)
    Last edited by Zuidar; 01-29-2019 at 05:39 AM.

Character
    Slib
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    What do you guys think of Subtle Sorcery? I feel it lacks a lot of power for it being a 1 hour cooldown. (Poor RDM and their Stymie too ><).

Maybe something like double cast on elemental magic would be nice, where the additional cast does 50% damage of the initial cast.
    (0)
    Last edited by Slib; 01-29-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Slib View Post
    Hey everyone,

I would like to share some thoughts on areas black mage could use some improvements...

1) Base nuke damage seems very low, making many fights require a Skillchain to be set up in order to push out decent damage.

2) Ancient Magic 2 needs to be looked at. They are very far behind in the games current state.

3) Is it possible to add more spells yet to the BLM list? Spells like Virus, Curse, or even Aga 4 and Aga 5 spells.

4) Can we remove the AoE damage reduction if there is more than one enemy hit? Right now Black Mage seems to be the only one affected by this. Weapon skills are unaffected, blue magic is unaffected, bst pets are unaffected and so are smn avatars. Why Black Mage?

5) Can the WS, Vidohunir, be adjusted to have extra damage based on tp? Similar to Leaden Salute and True Flight?

6) My last one! Might be too overpowered, but can we have a way to reduce Mana Wall cooldown?

Anyone else have any suggestions?
    1. This would be tricky because any increase to the base would get multiplied by bursting. I personally believe that the real solution would be to reduce target MDB to reasonable levels on higher clvl fights (particularly those that have selectable difficulty levels,) and reduce the elemental resistance alongside to reasonable non-guaranteed-resist levels.

2. AM2 would need to be juiced up to T5 damage baseline at least in order to be worth using given MP cost.. Seems like a big fat "nope", especially with the devs' pathological resistance to touching merits.

3. No room for new spells sadly enough.

4. Agree that this particular mechanic feels discriminatory since it only hits BLM hard (and GEO to a lesser extent for -ra's, but who uses -ra's? Heck, I feel like the only GEO who bothers w/ an actual MB set... <_<) BST and BLU aren't affected because they use monster abilities, not "Elemental Magic", same goes for SMN too most likely.. but I don't think that monsters are affected by the same target-number based reduction for AOE Elemental Magic, and we have long since passed the point where BLM AOE could possibly be dominant if the reduction were removed. I mean, seriously, my Subduction hits for ~8k unbuffed with vorseals active. There's no reason to keep this in place other than the difficulty level of removing it. :/

5. Totally changing the nature of the WS mechanics feels extreme. Maybe simply uncapping the WSC term would be enough to make it worth wanting to use? We really aren't logical choices for large increases in WS damage.

6. We already have 50% uptime on near-immunity to damage and full DOT immunity. That seems good enough to me. Far more than a cooldown reduction, I desperately want a means to reduce the enmity lost when hit with Mana Wall active.. and more available Enmity+ gear for BLM. Losing 180 CE per received hit is brutal given how little enmity we generate thanks to all our Enmity- traits/gifts/etc. If permitted to dream, please make it undispellable. Feels pretty lousy for a 10min CD JA to get wiped off long before it should otherwise. Yes, I love Mana Wall tanking, but mostly just hoping to be able to generate/keep enough enmity from BLM spells to hold a boss while Raises are going out after a wipe. lol
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Fleshrender
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    good insight i think magic as a whole needs to be looked at sch got pooped on with blm as well and they got left off of the ea set which was ridiculous.
    (0)

Character
    Cossack
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Dear SE
    No one magic bursts anymore. Find a way in you small, closed minds to make peace with this, its over.
    Elemental debuffs were the dumbest job adjustment you've made, ever. More to the point, the way you offered up the elemental debuff as if it restored some functionality to BLM was insulting, you made a bad joke out of the portion of the FFXI community that still held out hope that you would give us something.
    It takes only two things to fix BLM, remove the elemental resist rate, so we can spam lower tier nukes like Shantotto 2, and remove the multi target damage reduction. You have ruined BLM, it only ever had one function, with was to nuke, and you nerfed it into obsolution.
    (0)

Character
    Cossack
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I love how everyones idea on how to fix BLM is to turn it into something other than BLM. Blackmages nuke . Our most reasonable solutions are to give it roles filled by other jobs instead of giving it its own roll back.

Remove the wall, period.

Undo the aga nerf.

Native Comet would be nice.

A slightly better staff rating and better melee gear would be nice, but also completely unnecessary.

Drainaga, aspiraga, warpaga.

The boon to elemental debuffs was very nice to be honest, but with as obviously broke as BLM is, it was insulting to give us better elemental debuffs and call it a job adjustment. Give us Blackmage back, or just take it the out of the game so we can have closure.
    (0)

Character
    Cossack
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    (0)