Character
    Karuberu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

Sakura Biscuit and Sakura Trust

Sakura Biscuit's in-game item description seems to have been messed up when the detailed help text was added to describe the item's food effect.

Before the update, it read "ピヨ!", which is the way that the NPC Sakura speaks, but it is now "??!". This seems like a mistake, since it would be "Peep!" if it were translated. From a technical standpoint, this probably happened because the wrong character encoding was being used somewhere in the editing process.

Below are images of the item before and after the change:

On a similar note, there is also a small issue with the Sakura Trust's chat message: she says "Peep! Peep!", when she should say "ピヨ!" to match the Sakura NPC and the original Sakura Biscuit text.

These are both old issues, but they've bugged me for a while and it would be nice to see them fixed.
    (1)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

Quote Originally Posted by Karuberu View Post
    On a similar note, there is also a small issue with the Sakura Trust's chat message: she says "Peep! Peep!", when she should say "ピヨ!" to match the Sakura NPC and the original Sakura Biscuit text.
    In case you did not bump into a certain thread here a bit more than a few years ago, I thought the same, and actually got a pretty good reply (here) when I questioned it:

Quote Originally Posted by Unelonborro View Post
    You raise a very interesting question, and I think there are a couple factors at play. Note that these apply to pretty much every MMO out there.

* When dealing with something that happened in the past (either in real life terms, or in-game terms), to what extent do you remain faithful, and to what extent do you reimagine it?
    * How has the direction of the game changed or remained the same?
    * What are the players' expectations?
    * How would the decision look if viewed in context? In a vacuum?

There are no cut-and-dried answers here. In Sakura's case, you have two arguments: 1. Sakura should continue to speak in katakana, because that's how she is originally, and 2. Sakura should make her noises in English, because that's easier to understand for people who aren't familiar with her backstory. Ultimately, the team opted for the latter. Sakura's alter ego is not tied to any specific event, and you can receive it regardless of whether or not you've had any interaction with her at all. In the context of first meeting Sakura, the player is initially confused--why is she speaking in Japanese?--but Markovich is there to steer you in the right direction, so you are able to understand right away. But put yourself in the shoes of someone who's never met her in person and just grabbed her alter ego. "Why is she speaking in Japanese? That's got to be something the translators overlooked!" It breaks their immersion in the game. So we have to ask ourselves the following question:

"Do the positives of staying faithful to Sakura's characterization outweight the negatives of new players feeling uncomfortable?"

Different leads might have taken a different approach, but I chose the latter, given that I cannot guarantee that the player would have interacted with Sakura before.

However, I can understand and sympathize with the opposing argument!
    Thanks again, Unelonborro, for being awesome and creating said thread. :]
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Karuberu
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Hmm... Interesting. Thanks for the link! I did a search to try to find some answers, but I didn't come across that. I would have chosen to be faithful to the character if I was in their shoes, but I can understand the reasoning. I always thought it was something that was overlooked, so I'm happy to know they at least thought about it.

The item text should probably be fixed, though, even if it's just another "Peep! Peep!" (though I'd prefer the katakana, of course).
    (0)

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    Yeah, I do agree, and the cookie definitely looks like something... less intended, heh.
    (0)
    ...or so the legend says.