Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Thank You Hawklaser! I have had people who have helped me in Game namely Kakk and Selindrile. Thank you two for the help, it was terrific! I was guided to do Records of Eminence, and do the Field and Ground Tome kill tasks. They also helped me out getting the Trusts. Good community it seems. I have found the hammers do great damage to the mobs, in fact I am using a want with stats and it works well enough, less Max damage, but quicker. Been experimenting with macros, and house/storage options.

Currently in the middle of a run to Jeuno from San D'Oria..patch stopped that hehe. Doing some quests and exploring along the way.
    (0)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Haha! Decided to re-make my WHM as a Hume. I originally thought I would need to make additional chars for each class, so race was not looked at the same way, but realized I did not when I started playing. I like the Hume better than the Elvaan it turns out, so changed to Hume now as apposed to later.
    (0)

Character
    Lukasha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 22
    Now I have to decide on my first sub job. This is gonna be a hard choice it seems!
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasha View Post
    Now I have to decide on my first sub job. This is gonna be a hard choice it seems!
    /sch for serious business, /rdm for easier stuff, /blm for Warp convenience. You will need both RDM/SCH, BLM is more optional.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Welcome to FFXI

Regarding subjobs, your practical options at the moment are /RDM and /BLM. There are other options later on in the game, but they are less easy for you to access right at this moment. The other jobs you have available will work as well - Warrior, Thief and the like, but they don't really synergise very well with WHM in most situations.

All subjobs have their pros and cons, but if I may make a suggestion - for now, I'd pick whichever job you think you'll enjoy playing most. You'll have to level up your subjob independently of your main job, so you'll be spending some time playing it instead of WHM. It's a great opportunity for you to try something different!

Red Mage is really fun and gives you the chance to try a bit of everything. You get some white magic, but not as much as your white mage, and some black magic, as well as some proficiency in light leather armour, medium armours, swords, and daggers. It's most frequently described as the "jack of all trades, master of none", though in XI that isn't strictly true. If you've been enjoying your enfeebling spells like Paralyze and Slow then Red Mage is an expert at using those spells, and introduces some new ones like Sleep, Bind, Blind, Gravity, and more. You also get enhancing spells to imbue your sword or dagger with elemental power, and at higher levels you get some really nice enhancing spells like refresh, to help out you and your team mates with MP, and temper, which helps you with your melee attacks. As a subjob it'll eventually gain abilities that'll help you sustain your MP, but not until your white mage is quite a high level.

If you play Red Mage beyond a subjob, at level cap people will start expecting you to put away the sword and focus on your magic, but depending what you're doing you don't always have to. You also get exclusive access to the most stylish hat in the entire game. It's a wonderful job, and if you put the time in you can get a lot out of it.

Black Mage is a job with a more specific purpose, like White Mage, and is arguably the best job in the game for blowing stuff up with magic. You'll have access to the vast majority of elemental magic (stone, aero and the like) as well as a few fun dark magic spells like drain and aspir for stealing HP and MP respectively. It also gets a few different enfeebles and a nice transportation option with warp, and you get the Conserve MP trait which will save you a bit of MP every now and again when casting. Black Mage is a bit more delicate than Red Mage, and arguably more delicate than White Mage as well, but with your new friends and with support from Trust that shouldn't be a problem for you. At level cap it's a handy job to have, as it's one of the best jobs to exploit a mechanic called Magic Burst - this can deal massive damage if your party is well coordinated.

It's important to remember that some of the spells you get from a subjob won't be very effective when you use them from your main job. For example, a WHM/BLM will not find the elemental magic to be very potent, as it's running off an elemental magic skill that's half of your current level - WHM doesn't naturally have the skill. Conversely, most job abilities like Divine Seal and Convert work just fine from a subjob, and if a subjob comes with spells that match a skill you main job has (like BLM's Blind spell using Enfeebling skill, which you have as WHM), it'll generally be approximately as effective from your main job as your subjob. There are other factors that affect this, but they're a bit more complex.

Once you've reached a point with white mage where you're looking at subjobs more carefully, and picking the best ones available, you'll be more than capable of levelling any subjob you've missed quite quickly. Nyarlko mentioned Scholar, which a lot of people really like and which you'll probably want to pick up when you're able. Black Mage definitely becomes a less useful subjob for White Mage later on, but I wouldn't let that put you off trying it - you might love it as a main job, and it'll definitely suffice as a subjob to start off with. Red Mage as a subjob will be useful in some situations even when you reach level cap (and it's my personal favourite subjob for WHM, though most prefer /SCH).

It's also worth pointing out that /WHM is a decent subjob for both Red Mage and Black Mage, so it all fits together quite nicely. Again, once you reach higher levels there are various pros and cons for each, with some arguably better than others, but as a starting point they're all more than adequate.

I really hope you enjoy White Mage. As others have said, it can be intense at times, but I find it extremely satisfying. It was my first job, and remains my main and favourite job. And, if you decide to take up Red Mage or Black Mage as well, I can personally attest that they are great fun as well. I myself have only recently taken up Red Mage and it's been the most fun experience I've had in game for a long time.

As an aside - a previous poster has mentioned the bgwiki, which is a useful resource. wiki.ffxiclopedia.org is also very good, and tends to be superior for the older and lower level aspects of the game that you're likely to face early on. I'd recommend giving it a look.

Good luck!
    (0)
    Last edited by Jerbob; 09-16-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2