Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

boost changed....

I was leveling a new character today (lv 15 monk) and when I used boost, then weapon skilled, my character would then sit there staring at the mob for 15/20 seconds, not even auto attacking. Is this a bug? The only information I could find on the new changes was on the dev update page, which says it increases delay while boost is active, but I used my weapon skill, therefore boost should no longer be active right? And it STILL was making my character wait 15/20 seconds before he would auto attack again. If anyone has any information or a good page to go to (besides the update dev page) I would definitely appreciate a reply. Thanks.
    (0)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    I'm pretty sure that's working as intended. WSing doesn't actually reset your weapon delay. It's even worse when you use boost before engaging. You literally can't pull out your weapons until boost wears off. Also, supposedly the longer you wait to use your WS, the bigger the boost you get.

I like the idea of this new Boost, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's working as intended. WSing doesn't actually reset your weapon delay. It's even worse when you use boost before engaging. You literally can't pull out your weapons until boost wears off. Also, supposedly the longer you wait to use your WS, the bigger the boost you get.

I like the idea of this new Boost, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
    Yep, Working As Intended. Activating Boost increases the delay til your next auto-attack to 400% regardless as to whether you consume the buff w/ a WS or Chi Blast. There is a damage boost that goes up the closer the buff is to expiring, and the duration is lowered by haste/MA/DW/etc. My bug report on the "unable to engage" part is still not round-filed, so there's hope for that to get fixed maybe. ^^;;
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Yeah idk what they were thinking, if they wanted to amp up monk they could have just given them a few store tp tiers for job traits and added a ws damage bonus to boost or something, hopefully it all comes together though, thanks for the replies. ------->0.o
    (4)

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    0.O<-------
    (1)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I would also have to add that I do not like the Boost changes as-is.

1). The Delay needs to end immediately upon Chi Blast or Weaponskill use, or at least shorten the delay to the weapon's natural delay (if you have a delay of 3 seconds, change the remaining delay to 3 seconds upon usage of Chi Blast or Weaponskill).

2). The benefit to Boost on WS is still far too low and erratic. I noticed little difference in actual field testing. I admit my monk was not highly geared, but then one shouldn't be highly geared to get an idea of what their Job Abilities are capable of, nor should one need to be highly geared to see practical use out of it. Buffing my Shijin Spiral or even Tornado Kick by a paltry 1-2k damage is not worth the delay in having to wait for it to almost wear off to get the most out of it. I could have thrown enough punches in that time to account for the extra damage quite easily. Using Boost is actually a DPS loss in every situation that I can think of (unless you have absolutely ridiculous amounts of Haste and other delay lowering properties, but again you shouldn't have to, JUST to make a Job Ability useful).

3). I still do not understand why Boost wasn't simply changed to act just like Sneak Attack or Trick Attack, only with different modifiers and perhaps getting rid of the guaranteed critical hit property those two job abilities have? That would have done a far better job at what Boost appears to be trying to accomplish.

I get why there's a delay (they wanted you to stop swinging and build up power for your next hit), but the actual mechanics and the actual buffs do not come even close to the loss of DPS because you were standing there doing nothing for so long. Again, the punches (and kicks!) you missed out on are a huge DPS loss for the meager benefit you get for using Boost.

Nice try, but... it just doesn't work the way it appears to be imagined it should. Nice idea on paper, terrible execution in reality.
    (2)

Player
    You'll get more out of it by waiting until 1sec is remaining on the timer, though my non-MNK geared MNKs with ~250STR were only able to see ~3k damage increase on WS. It's not utterly horrible when you are delay capped (6.4sec duration), but we shouldn't have to be calculating phys dmg formulas in order to determine if it's a damage gain or loss. It should be obvious. I am still curious what a geared up MNK would get out of it, but those are somewhat hard to find these days.

Also, I find it ironic that H2H (6.4sec) actually has a higher minimum delay/duration than DW (5.0sec)....
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Griffinx
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    @Aysha : Indeed, my thoughts exactly. In the games current state (at least melee dd wise) people are spamming WSs, there is no time to wait on boost and you're just losing some serious dps(and tp gain which means more ws's) by waiting. At LEAST newboost's effect should definitely end upon WS use(which apparently it isn't supposed to). But to be honest they should just put it back the way it was and enhance boost to give weapon skill damage+ or as you mentioned a crit hit would be nice too, and toss a couple store tps monks way and it would be good to go. The reason i think store tp could help is because monk at 99 has like 9 tiers of martial arts which just has the same effect on tp as dual wield so no wonder monk can't keep up. But hey what do i know i only play the game
    (1)

Character
    Mulichen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 36
    I had just come back to the game after 12 years away and previously my main was monk, so I was wanting to start with a job that I mostly remembered. The new way that they have configured the boost ability seems a bit out of balance. It seems that this thread is 3 years old and there is still a problem with the boost ability. To me it does not seem to be working as intended. When you select boost to use it locks up your character for the entire duration of the buff for auto-attacking so you get no benefit from using the ability. If you happen to have built up TP you can hit boost and use a ws, but then your character is again sitting not auto-attacking for another ~20 secs after using said ws. Also, if you happen to use the ability prior to engaging, you can't even start to fight until the buff wears off. If you happen to get aggro during this time you can't do anything and if you have summoned trusts they wont even engage as you have to auto once for the majority of them to attack. With this new boost also on a 60 sec cd rather than the old 15 sec from previously, it seems that this ability is almost a non-use ability as it does not seem to provide any benefit to monk as a main or monk as a sub. The timing change also stops monk from building up boost to enhance chi-blast. I know they aren't releasing anything new for this game, but it would be nice to see an update patch to where the coding for boost was adjusted so you can clear it with an auto or second activation of ability rather than waiting for the timer to expire and not get anything out of the ability use other than a meager boost during a ws, even when waiting until 1 sec on the timer, and losing follow up dps after ws use for some odd delay due to ability use effect. The other thing they could do is completely revert is back to the original form as well as a quality of life patch for the job.
    (2)

Character
    Zekander
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Yeah, Boost is not very useful now. The only moderately decent use for it right now is in conjunction with the Domain Invasion belt that turns it into a pseudo meditate, and only then for a pre-battle boost as something to do while the support jobs are casting buffs. Regardless, I definitely agree that they need to either just change it back or fix the problems with the current version to make it useful again.

On a similar note, 30s duration for focus and dodge is really just silly, for that kind of uptime they pretty much need to set acc and eva to 100%, rather then just a minor boost. Honestly when playing Monk, I feel like my only useful JAs are Berserk, Agressor, and Warcry… No job should have to consider their subjob abilities more useful then their main...
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast