Character
    Zelgamer
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 7

New player, game has high difficulty curve... and I like it.

Its refreshing! Though the game is 14 years old now. Any tips? Still doing the tutorial crap.
    (0)

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    While I'm not on Ragnarok, can still give some tips for ya. First and most important, is make sure you follow the Rhapsodies of Vanadiel mission line, and start unlocking trusts. These two things will get you through the majority of things a brand new player needs to do such as limit breaks and unlocking your subjob. Also make sure to get/have access to Records of Eminence via the quest menu, has a lot of mini-objectives that give bonus exp and sparks which can be traded for gear. Also make sure to grab signet(or the expansion relevant version) from a guard before leveling town, as gives some buffs as well as earns alternate currencies.

Beyond that, I might recommend waiting on spellcasting jobs like Whm, Rdm, and Blm until you have unlocked a lot of fast travel options so can get your spells from vendors as no guarantee they will be on the AH at a reasonable price. Follow up to this, is check every home point and survival guide you see to flag them for fast travel options.

Also of use for leveling, are the Fields of Valor, Grounds of Valor tomes you will find around the world, they offer training regimes (kill quests) that offer bonus xp every completion, and I forget the time frame for gil and tab rewards. Tabs can be used for teleporting between survival guides and getting buffs at the FoV/GoV tomes.

When you hit 30, you can start doing the quests for the advanced jobs. Limit breaks start at 50.

The game doesn't hold your hand much, so having some wikis handy helps a lot. FFXIclopedia, BGwiki, and FFXI Atlas are main ones I have used.

Be glad there is tutorial stuff now, game used to give you an item to trade to an npc for 50 gil and that was it, rest was hope you read the manual and good luck.

Welcome to Vana'diel, hope you enjoy the adventure.
    (3)

Character
    Zelgamer
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 7
    Awesome, thanks for the tips, Ill make full use of this!
    (0)

Character
    Madjam
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    A (2004-2015) Returning Player writting... to say : Thank you Hawklaser!
    Accurate!
    Bref!
    Concise!
    Like ABC stuff!!!
    (0)
    'Til the End of Vana'diel
    I'll Be There

Character
    Loftythoughts
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Madjam View Post
    A (2004-2015) Returning Player writting... to say : Thank you Hawklaser!
    Accurate!
    Bref!
    Concise!
    Like ABC stuff!!!
    Welcome. Much beyond that is likely job specific stuff or things best learned by playing. Those are the big things I remember when I first started, and have found when I just recently returned as well. The trusts are huge, as they give you a pseudo-party and many things are just not solo-able unless way over leveled and geared.
    (0)

Character
    Unctgtg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Grab a pearl to Internationalglobe from the LS cong guy. Biggest LS on the server from a social aspect.

/Unctgtg
    (0)
    99 Drk, 99 Sch, 99 Bst, 99 Geo and a ton of other jobs there
    110 +5 Bonecraft
    Level 99 Relic Scythe