Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99

FFXIclopedia/wikia errors

Okay, what did they change?

Every time I try to load a page on FFXIclopedia, I get errors right after the page loads, claiming the page can't load (lol).

I know it is probably a Javascript (I use noScript for a reason...), but I don't want to have to wade through the 50 some javascripts to find out WHICH one is causing the error, so does anybody know which one it is specifically?

Really wish people would stop loading pages down with so stinking many scripts these days...
    (0)

Player
    That is precisely why I personally avoid FFXIclopedia. There was (and may still be) something on that site that would routinely max out my laptop's cpu. ABP fixed it totally for me, so it was likely an issue with certain ads or the like... Wouldn't be surprised if the same type of thing is happening to you. That site appears to be working fine on my end btw, so odds are it's either an issue with certain ads like mine was, or maybe some sort of machine specific problem. I suggest you try using AdBlockPlus first, then if that doesn't work, try clearing your browser cache.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Dragoy
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99

€°(((><

First thing probably would be to try and make sure it's the blocking of script(s) that's doing it. It could have been due to temporary connection issues just as well.

Signing up and changing the theme may or may not help as well (I have a more or less custom theme going on there, as there's no way I'd browse it with their default), though it may be that it's just Privoxy doing the most help for me. Haven't really tested as I've not used the site for years now...

If using browser-based blocking, I'd recommend giving uBlock Origin a go, as an alternative to AdBlock Plus and such (reasons include, but are not limited to the latter using whitelists to allow certain advertisements).

It's unfortunate that not too many moved on to Gamer Escape with us, and as such, I can't really recommend it as a (full) replacement (should work for some of the stuff), as I'm pretty much the only one editing there... and there's lots to be fixed and new stuff to be added still! ^^;
    (1)
    ...or so the legend says.

Character
    Sirmarki
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    That site is advert overkill.

I'm not a fan of ABP, as it kills revenue for smaller sites. Trouble is, I have no other option than to use it on that site because otherwise it completely locks up over time. It's like some scripts get stuck in an eternal loop which bogs down your system resources.
    (0)

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I will admit that I have had it lock up my other computer's browser which is a bit older.

But yet, without FFXIClopedia, what site would I use? BG-wiki is even more incomplete in things like crafting recipes which is mainly what I use FFXIclopedia for.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysha View Post
    I will admit that I have had it lock up my other computer's browser which is a bit older.

But yet, without FFXIClopedia, what site would I use? BG-wiki is even more incomplete in things like crafting recipes which is mainly what I use FFXIclopedia for.
    :? Actually, BGwiki's main crafting pages typically are 99.99% complete (excluding new recipes for a few days after each update.) Just go to the main listing for your chosen craft and find it there. ^^ Ctrl+F = Our Friend.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Voldermolt
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    BGwiki is far better these days for up to date craft recipes, BG forums for instant data, but clopedia still dominates the 'How to Obtain' department over all other sites. It's not working for me either but when I see a website stop working it's generally because they've changed advertising in some way and the site will work in another browser less heavily protected...

Update: I did some homework. I don't believe it's anything notoriously bad like the mass hacking days when somepage was basically killed on the spot because it kept getting hacked with trojan ads. I allowed em0n.com to go through and clopedia is loading normally again. Basically em0n and m80fg was registered 5 months ago by MarkMonitor based in California. From what I can tell it's a service dedicated to protecting websites and making sure they get paid, or something >.> The websites themselves are dead. I'm not sure what it all means but when allowed to pass the noscript filter, clopedia works again.

Maybe someone around these parks have a career in this kind of stuff can better tell us if it's okay or not. My only experience is a decade of blocking ads and scripts and never needing virus app protection etc as a result. It's hardly anything to base the safety of your computer on. All I can say is, damn do I not miss virus programs and them clogging my system to hell. Usually I don't have much problem letting website scripts through(mostly tracking crap, it's like wtfever man, if it makes websites work then just track me. I can't see their lousy targeted ads ever anyway so jokes on them) What is a nono for me is the ad frames.
    (0)
    Last edited by Vold; 03-11-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Regular "John" Doe
    - Not on the Community Team

Character
    Aysha
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    :? Actually, BGwiki's main crafting pages typically are 99.99% complete (excluding new recipes for a few days after each update.) Just go to the main listing for your chosen craft and find it there. ^^ Ctrl+F = Our Friend.
    They are not laid out in the same format though, and it seems to me that you need a lot more clicks to figure out stuff like "How do I make this? Okay, where do I get that material?" etc.

BG-wiki needs a better format, one closer to FFXIclopedia's. With any item, you get the item, the crafting materials to make it (if it is craftable), a list of what it is used to make (if any) AND any and all places you could possibly get that item, including BCNMs, Quests, what drops it (if anything) and it even tells you what Quest(s) it is used in. And hey, it even tells you how many guild points it is worth, and how many you would need to turn in (though sadly many items have still not been updated, but hey, one by one they are getting updated slowly).

ALL ON THE SAME PAGE.

BG-Wiki doesn't do that.

I remember several items I looked at on BG-wiki, I got this page that has JUST the item's picture and... that's it. Or, there's a crafting list... but yet no information about other ways to get the item, especially older items like Pre-Adoulin or Pre-Lv75 items.

BG-wiki seems like it only cares about "Endgame" Content and the rest of the game barely exists there.

EDIT: Anyways, I figured it out.... ONE of the 12+ items on NoScript when turned on, stops the behavior. I don't remember which one, BUT I hit "Temporarily Allow...." and it was the 2nd or 3rd from the bottom of the list, so I will eventually find it again.
    (0)

Player
    Did you try clicking the BG "references" icon? It's a link to see a listing of any other pages connected to that page. This will include materials used for it, any recipes it is used for, but also any quest or mobs that drop it, etc. so it's usefulness may vary based on item.

All of what you want to be on a page can be there. If it's not, you are welcome to add it. That is how a wiki works. ^^ Everything on FFXIclopedia was also compiled the same way.. Everything you see is from user input. I don't know how to make templates, so most of my additions have been only additional info, but it's not hard at all to add missing info that you know.

My SOP for recipes is to do a search for "leathercraft" > Ctrl+F > enter item name. The skill reqs and recipes are all listed in skill-level order on the main craft page, so I find it pretty convenient personally. Individual pages have to be updated manually while the base item info can be datamined, which is why you can run into stuff like the item pic/description only page you saw.
    (0)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 03-12-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Character
    Folken
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 1
    Only tangently related, but...

My biggest problem with ffxiclopedia is anytime I click on an image to get the bigger version (such as a map), it signs me out of wikia, changing me back to the awful default monaco skin instead of monobook.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast