Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuidar View Post
    You can't learn them from missions, although you can learn Cruel Joke off of Balamor from skirmish
    You can indeed learn them from missions. I got the salamander-like thing's spell from the SOA mission where you fight one, and you can learn Mighty Guard from the ROV mission version. The main problem with this method is that they are not repeatable without another player who needs the mission completion still.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Urmom
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    GEO Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuidar View Post
    You can't learn them from missions, although you can learn Cruel Joke off of Balamor from skirmish
    Spells have been learnable from missions since the job came out. Remember way back when that was the common way of learning body slam since no other low level dragons. Had blus asking people if they still on random missions lol
    (0)

Character
    Traxus
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    It's not a question of being able to learn spells from missions in general, you can't learn the SoA ones (cesspool, tearing gust) because the mobs that use them don't actually die when you fight them, you just get warped out/put into a cutscene when they get to low hp.
    (0)

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Biggest mistake I remember reading about from when BLU was originally released is that people "turn away" from the mob to let it get TP hitting them. Then the mob does the Ability and then the player turns back towards the mob hopefully fast enough to kill it. Somewhere in the cutscenes and dialogue one of the main BLU NPCs says something about "... how you are learning it from them and the more you watch their actions the more you shall learn..." implying that you need to be facing the mob (looking at it) when the target does the ability you want to learn. Also the faster you kill it after it performs the ability affects the % of learning it too.
    . I know you can still learn it other way by facing askew, but I remember reading in the Q&A they had very early on that the dev team replied that the rate of learning the spell, if you're not facing the target, dropped drastically, and the longer you wait to kill it lowered the learning rate, too.
    . Hope that helped even a tiny bit, because they can be a P.I.T.A. to learn.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzspdref View Post
    Biggest mistake I remember reading about from when BLU was originally released is that people "turn away" from the mob to let it get TP hitting them. Then the mob does the Ability and then the player turns back towards the mob hopefully fast enough to kill it. Somewhere in the cutscenes and dialogue one of the main BLU NPCs says something about "... how you are learning it from them and the more you watch their actions the more you shall learn..." implying that you need to be facing the mob (looking at it) when the target does the ability you want to learn. Also the faster you kill it after it performs the ability affects the % of learning it too.
    . I know you can still learn it other way by facing askew, but I remember reading in the Q&A they had very early on that the dev team replied that the rate of learning the spell, if you're not facing the target, dropped drastically, and the longer you wait to kill it lowered the learning rate, too.
    . Hope that helped even a tiny bit, because they can be a P.I.T.A. to learn.
    Unless you can pull up that Q&A, I'm betting you are misremembering something and that it was a "planned" aspect that was not implemented. I've never had any problem learning blue magic while facing away from the target, and have done the process on 3x characters.
    (1)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3