Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Topshelf
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Re-balancing jobs in FFXI

After playing the game for quite a while, I am very disappointing to see that Blu, Sch, and Pup are getting all the love in the updates. Many of the other jobs are left in the dust--perhaps too much. My worry is that this possible issue, to me at least, may not be addressed. And while I have never personally posted on here, I worry also that my opinion may not be taken seriously.

I hope that the readers of this would take my message under consideration before posting. I feel that it is constructive and I feel that the discussion would flush out some of the ideas people have in the way that the current jobs are balanced.
    (0)

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    You've got to understand, that at no point, ever, in FFXI history, has anything even remotely resembled "balance". Now, grain of salt, that's partially due to player mentality. But, there has always and will always be a best current job, which BLU is doing DISGUSTINGLY well at being by the way lol.

Sch *needs* immanence taken away, but at this point, there really isn't a point. Pup DESERVES it's time to shine, it's never had the spotlight, and I'm happy automation's finally gets all the love (for those that know how to use it).

The only way there is ever going to be what people want, is static damage.

(Btw whoever changed my main job on this site from THF to BLU, I hope you die in a fire.)
    (1)
    Last edited by Vae; 08-17-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    (Btw whoever changed my main job on this site from THF to BLU, I hope you die in a fire.)
    I know this is off-topic, but that's probably due to the closing of the Linkshell Community.
    (0)

Character
    Urthdigger
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    You've got to understand, that at no point, ever, in FFXI history, has anything even remotely resembled "balance". Now, grain of salt, that's partially due to player mentality. But, there has always and will always be a best current job, which BLU is doing DISGUSTINGLY well at being by the way lol.

Sch *needs* immanence taken away, but at this point, there really isn't a point. Pup DESERVES it's time to shine, it's never had the spotlight, and I'm happy automation's finally gets all the love (for those that know how to use it).

The only way there is ever going to be what people want, is static damage.

There's always been inbalance, but I don't feel it's ever been as bad as it is now.
    (1)
    He once sold his soul to Promathia for a rare drop. He later won it back in a drinking contest, before beating up the twilight god for good measure.
    He's won dance-off trophies from the Republic of Bastok, the Duchy of Jeuno, and the Yagudo Theomilitary.
    He's won entire arguments with a single leer.
    He is the most interesting galka in the world.

Character
    Vaelira
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    oh, yeah, obviously, the balance has never been this far off, this is literally batshit crazy.
    (1)

Player
    While I tend to agree that the balance is very strongly off, Blu wouldn't even make the top5 for me, Geo > Blm > Sch > Run > Pld > Blu, in terms of group strength and desirability, at least in the circles I run in.

Blu is better than other non-tank melee at the moment, yes, but that is only due to their ability to cap haste without further support. If it didn't require a Geo buff slot to cap haste on other melees, Dnc, Sam and perhaps even War or Thf would possibly come out ahead, and other jobs would be far closer.
    (1)
    Last edited by Selindrile; 08-18-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    While I tend to agree that the balance is very strongly off, Blu wouldn't even make the top5 for me, Geo > Blm > Sch > Run > Pld > Blu, in terms of group strength and desirability, at least in the circles I run in.

Blu is better than other non-tank melee at the moment, yes, but that is only due to their ability to cap haste without further support. If it didn't require a Geo buff slot to cap haste on other melees, Dnc, Sam and perhaps even War or Thf would possibly come out ahead, and other jobs would be far closer.
    You forgot to include the fact that BLU can effectively replicate the job traits of any other job (sometimes better than the signature jobs themselves), has more available survival tools, and CDC seems to hit a lot harder than most other WS. All of those do add to the desirability factor of BLU > other jobs as well.
    Can't really complain that the two dedicated "tank" jobs are in demand ^^;; Kinda' need them to do anything that requires a group to begin with. GEO demand is mainly due to pure numbers and the effective need for unique effects like Vex/Attunement. Tweaking certain rolls (like Runist's Roll) for COR, increasing the landing rate for debuff spells for RDM (like Paralyze), and doing a complete overhaul of BRD, so that directly comparable numbers are closer could help loosen the current stranglehold that GEO has on the support slot.

---------------
    Personally, it really REALLY rubs me the wrong way that PUP is getting buff after buff after buff, but for some silly reason, devs have dug their heels in on not revising the BST JA nerf. BST has to actually hit buttons to get our pets to do anything, PUP is set/forget for the most part.. Reward should be long range (12-15y should be fine,) Ready midrange (9-10y should be enough that I can at least still command my pet who is on the far side of a "large" target.) That would still leave us w/ the shortest command range of the pet jobs while still stuck inside AOE range for most things, which seems to be where SE wants us -_-;;

If you want to talk about imbalanced jobs tho, take a good look at BRD... T_T
    (3)
    Last edited by Nyarlko; 08-27-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Character
    Yummypie
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I agree on Bst range. I find it is exceedingly annoying that I can not move to the other side of a normal monster and use my abilities. What was SE thinking? Is this what they indented? Bst have to stick so close to their pet that they can't even position around the target?

Why do Bst need to stay close to their pet but not Smn?
    (3)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    Dnc, Sam and perhaps even War or Thf would possibly come out ahead, and other jobs would be far closer.
    Unless we have fully updated spreadsheet or something that can accurately calculate DD job DPS we can't really know that tbh. DPS hierarchy atm is just words of mouth from whoever plays elite DPS claiming their DPS outparse BLU from their personal experience, while not considering extra DPS from extra DD bubbles and light SC.
    (1)

Character
    Shyles
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Unless we have fully updated spreadsheet or something that can accurately calculate DD job DPS we can't really know that tbh. DPS hierarchy atm is just words of mouth from whoever plays elite DPS claiming their DPS outparse BLU from their personal experience, while not considering extra DPS from extra DD bubbles and light SC.
    Really, I think the distinction between BLU and other DD is as Selendrile and Nyarlko said. Apart from self-capping magic haste, their collection of useful self-buffs are unequaled, and their jp gifts and spells literally let them cherry pick the best of almost every job. Blu was built to be a self-serving job, and it's because they are the most independent DD is why they're so good.

But if we're talking about pure damage output many other jobs can probably outperform BLU on head-to-head parses assuming delay reduction and accuracy is capped and monster weaknesses aren't a factor. In WS spam situations, Well-geared Empy Warriors and Dark Knights have been absolute wrecking balls lately. In self-SC situations, Dancer is practically worth two DDs by themselves. Unfortunately though, it takes a lot more than high damage to get by in today's metagame as a DD..

Would it be that were the case.. It's easy to make these comparisons below CL 130, but it's rare to see melees other than BLU on CLs higher than that. The accuracy hurdles for many jobs are still pretty high. Even if the mob EVA nerf did help a bit, most melee jobs still have to sacrifice so many important stats just to hit the mob because groups are reluctant to bring more support jobs because of the HP scaling..
    (1)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast