Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Railer View Post
    Might just be me but low server population = more $ for s.e. Everything from gil making to cp takes longer which in turn produces longer subscriptions. With the fee for world change its a win win for them.
    Merges are generally bad, I saw more people quit after merges than any other time.

Losing your name, losing the names of random people who you were familiar with. The server no longer seems like your home, you wander around and all the familiar names no longer exist. They decided some time ago to not do merges, here or on ffxiv.
    (0)

Character
    Nebula
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    I was on Remora every single day from 2004 to 2010, and factually Remora was the greatest server in the world by far.

In 2010, a few weeks before Aby arrived, Remora was shutdown, and we all became refugees washed up on the shores of Leviathan.

In many ways, Remora is a time-capsule of the old game. Remora died the month before Aby arrived, with the new level 76-99 content. Remora is forever level 75, forever old era FFXI. It was a wonderful world, a truly incredible place.

So we were all sad to leave Remora, but Leviathan is a friendly server and all of us REMugees were made to feel welcome on Levi. I've stayed on Leviathan every day since Remora passed away.

Leviathan is a quiet server, and many people have moved to Asura, including several people from my LS. I actually like the quiet nature of my world. I don't have to queue for ages at battlefield entrances, and there's always lots of unclaimed mobs for Capacity Points or just farming. The atmosphere is friendly and there's no need to fight eachother, because there are plenty of free camps and available instances.

So I do disagree with the OP. It is nice that he enjoys his busy server, but that doesn't mean that busy servers are somehow better than quiet servers. They are just different experiences. Some people prefer quiet servers, with available camps, and no queueing for battles.

Also I still remember the day Remora died, it was heartbreaking, and so I don't share the OP's enthusiasm for server merges.
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooj View Post

And seriously, let's not act like "overcrowding" has been a thing in FFXI since 10 years ago... The few minutes wait to get into Ambuscade to EASILY get these AMAZING BIS items from joke content absolutely does not count.
    There's a sort-of company line about Asura that everyone claims, but a few people break from the pack on it.

I haven't personally been to Asura so I won't disagree with most of you say except this.

Considering that I have had to wait at Ambuscade, Tenzen, Salvage and a few other places here and there over the months I've come back, I'm gonna say that Asura has to see this more frequently.

During double exp campaign, good luck getting the one good crab camp unless you muscle the current occupants out. During Gain-EXP, good luck getting dragons or sometimes bugards/efts unless you're willing to "steal" other people's packs. It's okay though, they're more than willing to steal yours. I dislike muscling people out of anywhere.

Even my preferred gates-camp for Gain-EXP occasionally sees some competition (unrelated: I always offer to team up, most people don't want to)

All of this is on a server that never sees >350 during the NA day, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Asura has to be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompa View Post

In many ways, Remora is a time-capsule of the old game. Remora died the month before Aby arrived, with the new level 76-99 content. Remora is forever level 75, forever old era FFXI. It was a wonderful world, a truly incredible place.

Wonderfully said Stompa.
    (2)

Character
    Siviard
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooj View Post
    Then this thread was not directed at you. Also have to say I haven't met very many rude people on Asura. And I get around. I found there were far more arrogant, cruel, and anti-social people on my old server. I did acquire 1 stalker though. :3

Have fun!
    Well, you're advertising Asura and how it is such a wonderful place and that people should trasfer there on a forum that's for everyone. <sips tea> But that's none of my business......
    (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Siviard View Post
    Well, you're advertising Asura and how it is such a wonderful place and that people should trasfer there on a forum that's for everyone. <sips tea> But that's none of my business......
    It was meant for the people that should move there, not for the people that shouldn't... lol.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    During Gain-EXP, good luck getting dragons or sometimes bugards/efts
    I'm always surprised by the lack of people at those camps during Gain-EXP, I mean I totally wasn't even going there at first because I just ASSUMED it was going to be chaos.. But then a friend wanted me to go with him once (in my mind I was thinking it was going to be an annoying and discouraging waste of time, but I went anyway), and now I've been going ever since. Maybe everyone else is being smart and farming Warders during Gain-EXP or something, lol.

Maybe I should become a streamer, IDK.
    (0)

Character
    Crazyvic
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Honestly i see FFXI a game for play with your old friends a small group of 4 - 5 players.

Most of the shouts look only for GEO, BLU, SCH, BLM and COR the DD classes are taken before shout. Lets be realistic the game do not have content for support big allies anymore. FFXI its a 6 man game as FFXIV its a 8 man game, so server merge or going asura will not help in this case.

This game need some content for 12 players badly. I dont know a Einherjar lv145 Ver, an VW with LV145 mobs, Dynamis with LV145 bosses, Limbus with LV145 bosses, Ambuscade 12 man version with LV145 enemies, Zenith NMS lv145 +, the land Kings HNM LV145 etc. Then server mergers and moving asura will be worth

I dont want to be rude but

Solo + trusts you can solo nearly of 50% of the content
    3 players + 3 trust can tackle 75% of the content
    6 players can clear 90% content

So i dont see necessary merges until square add content for 12 man. Dont get me wrong i would love to see FFXI like at 2007s with 2000 players online all time, with a solid economy, with shouts happening for Kirin, VW, ZNM, Dynamis etc
    (0)
    Last edited by CrAZYVIC; 07-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrAZYVIC View Post
    So i dont see necessary merges until square add content for 12 man. Dont get me wrong i would love to see FFXI like at 2007s with 2000 players online all time, with a solid economy, with shouts happening for Kirin, VW, ZNM, Dynamis etc
    in 2007 nobody shouted for anything outside of XP parties, like at all. Shouting for content only started to happen during Abyssea, it was unheard of before that.

Every single thing was linkshell only, if you didn't have a linkshell you didn't do any endgame ever.

People have short memories.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Castanica View Post
    in 2007 nobody shouted for anything outside of XP parties, like at all. Shouting for content only started to happen during Abyssea, it was unheard of before that.

Every single thing was linkshell only, if you didn't have a linkshell you didn't do any endgame ever.
    At NA launch, people shouted for EXP parties and Eco-Warrior. After English players progressed a bit, we shouted for Nation Missions, and after progressing a bit more, we shouted for Zilart Missions. Then we shouted for quested weapon skills, we shouted for Chains of Promathia Missions, we shouted for Treasure of Aht Urhgan missions, we shouted for Merit parties, we shouted for Assault, we shouted for Nyzul Isle, we shouted for Salvage. We shouted for Wings of the Goddess Missions. We shouted.

And they shouted they were recruiting members for their LSes for Sky, Sea, Limbus, Dynamis, Einherjar, ZNM... I have seen people shout even for these events on days they had regular members MIA.

It's ok. Shout, shout, let it all out.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Siviard View Post
    Some of the most rudest, meanest, angriest players I've ever had the misfortune of coming across either in-game or on various forums have all been from Asura, or have all moved to Asura.
    Some of the nicest, most helpful players I've come across are also on Asura. That's just the nature of the beast, you'll have more of every type of player on a larger server, both the good and the not so good. Personally, I like variety in my life. I might get bored if I agreed with everything everyone said.

Quote Originally Posted by Railer View Post
    Might just be me but low server population = more $ for s.e. Everything from gil making to cp takes longer which in turn produces longer subscriptions. With the fee for world change its a win win for them.
    That's an odd argument. Gil and CP can be made just easily, if not more so on a quieter server. When the player base dips to a point where forming pick up groups, linkshells and transactions via bazaars/auction house becomes painfully slow players tend to consider cancelling their subscriptions. There's no evidence to reference other than forum threads/posts such as Rooj's, but I'd imagine it's easier to keep players happy on a server that's constantly around the 1,000 online accounts mark than it is on a server struggling to get 300 accounts online and, well, happy players don't usually think about cancelling their subscriptions at the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Castanica View Post
    Merges are generally bad, I saw more people quit after merges than any other time.

Losing your name, losing the names of random people who you were familiar with. The server no longer seems like your home, you wander around and all the familiar names no longer exist. They decided some time ago to not do merges, here or on ffxiv.
    That's purely anecdotal. People will always have an opinion about major events, like forced name changes in this case, and often times a good chunk of the negative comments tend to be reactionary with emotive language - making decisions when you're angry isn't always the best idea. Sure, someone might quit because they despise the idea of losing their name, but in the grand scheme of things that's a really small price to pay for a livelier game world that will be far better suited at attracting new/returning players in addition to serving the existing player base.

Is that sibling/roommate/friend/significant other going to want to give the game another whirl if they know they'll have to pay $13 to resubscribe on top of $18 to server transfer? I've seen more than my fair share turn the game away because of it and it's unfortunate because I know they'd have enjoyed it with a more active population.

Quote Originally Posted by OmnysValefor View Post
    Considering that I have had to wait at Ambuscade, Tenzen, Salvage and a few other places here and there over the months I've come back, I'm gonna say that Asura has to see this more frequently.
    Ambuscade was absolutely terrible for everyone, regardless of server size, simply by design and the congestion around it on Asura today is far less annoying than it was even back on Cerberus where the population was often only a quarter of the size or smaller. The fact you bring up Tenzen also makes me laugh because I suspect everyone on your server is just like everyone back on Cerb, sticking to just that one HTBF regardless of how many other parties are lining up for it. Things are thankfully a bit more varied on Asura.

There is no overcrowding issue on Asura or anywhere else, not in the slightest. If it comes to the point where content is too crowded for the server's population see that as a positive and not a negative. We'll bring it up with the devs, the same way we complained about Ambuscade, and watch how they start to mold the game around a larger player base rather than a smaller one for a change.

Honestly i see FFXI a game for play with your old friends a small group of 4 - 5 players.

Most of the shouts look only for GEO, BLU, SCH, BLM and COR the DD classes are taken before shout. Lets be realistic the game do not have content for support big allies anymore.
    The game doesn't have content for big allies anymore because we made it this way. Only we can turn it around. Do you think that will happen on servers housing 300 accounts at any given time?

Let's all put our feelings aside here for a minute and think this through: are there enough active accounts today to bring to life 16 giant MMORPG worlds? The simple answer is no.

Dont get me wrong i would love to see FFXI like at 2007s with 2000 players online all time, with a solid economy, with shouts happening for Kirin, VW, ZNM, Dynamis etc
    More like 8,000+, at least back on Cerb.
    (1)
    Last edited by Diavolo; 07-30-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast