Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Dark Knight Improvements

I hope the developers pay attention to this.

After playing this job for awhile now (I've always like the aesthetics of this job) I've come to realize it has some real problems.

Firstly: their Dark Magic, namely their absorb spells, are way too difficult to land. Magic Accuracy gear is pretty hard to come by as a Dark Knight. But even after taking the time to put together a solid magic Accuracy gear set - most difficult notorious monsters resist these spells rendering them useless and undependable in many situations.

The same could be said of their elemental spells. For example: I did Sinister Reign the other day and the Notorious Monsters were even resisting my magic bursts.

A Dark Knight needs to be able to reliably use their spells. As a simple and straight forward melee class it's just not that interesting.
    (0)

Character
    Xiozan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Well considering the direction that game has gone... (talking pre-item level vs post-item level)... DRK has always been kind of a strange hybrid. I recall in prior years the logic communicated from SE regarding the direction they saw DRK going was a melee job that relied upon damaging itself to fuel it's attacks and that cast elemental magic (like a blm)... so in keeping in line with that train of thought... the DRK was born and developed to what it is today... looks like through gifts you'd pick up +42 in magic accuracy and +36 in dark magic skill... in addition to what you may already have from weapons and armor... so without knowing much about your current level/skills and equipment used on DRK, I'm just guessing as to why your spells are being resisted so much during il132 content endgame events.
    (0)

{DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations.

Character
    Jeremi
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by xiozen View Post
    Well considering the direction that game has gone... (talking pre-item level vs post-item level)... DRK has always been kind of a strange hybrid. I recall in prior years the logic communicated from SE regarding the direction they saw DRK going was a melee job that relied upon damaging itself to fuel it's attacks and that cast elemental magic (like a blm)... so in keeping in line with that train of thought... the DRK was born and developed to what it is today... looks like through gifts you'd pick up +42 in magic accuracy and +36 in dark magic skill... in addition to what you may already have from weapons and armor... so without knowing much about your current level/skills and equipment used on DRK, I'm just guessing as to why your spells are being resisted so much during il132 content endgame events.
    You don't have to guess because the situation I am describing doesn't have anything to do with my current level/skills and equipment. It's a general situation that affects all Dark Knights.

It takes a ton of magic accuracy to land spells on difficult notorious monsters on this game. I also play a Red Mage who has relatively easy access to an assortment of very good magic accuracy gear - and even then it can be difficult to land spells in many situations. So you can just imagine the pains a Dark Knight will go too when trying to make his or her spells effective when good magic accuracy gear is scarce.

There is a reason why you rarely see Dark Knights routinely casting their spells or nuking notorious monsters. This is why. Because it's a struggle to make them work effectively. If Square Enix really does intend for this job to be a hybrid then they really ought to significantly boost the power of its spells.
    (0)
    Last edited by Dale; 08-13-2016 at 01:30 AM.