Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Head/Frame

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuk View Post
    They're a business, they can't just use community submitted creations, or tools. It'd open them up to lawsuits.
    You mean like the shield model they already made from a user-submitted skin? http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/fo...Design-Contest
    Or the multitude of other games that do exactly that on the regular? Such as Trove, Second Life, Neverwinter, Everquest2, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes?
    (0)
    Last edited by Selindrile; 03-24-2017 at 02:50 AM.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post540422

&

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...l=1#post540472

This seems relevant to what I drew 2 years ago.

Maybe one day, I keep true with my SAM and BRD designs
    (0)
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!" Lord Dracula - [Castlevania:SotN]

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Selindrile View Post
    You mean like the shield model they already made from a user-submitted skin? http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/fo...Design-Contest
    Or the multitude of other games that do exactly that on the regular? Such as Trove, Second Life, Neverwinter, Everquest2, Star Trek Online, City of Heroes?
    There are different legalities that would apply since there is a difference between soliciting user submissions under explicitly defined use terms vs using unsolicited stuff. Pretty darn sure that Japan has different Fair Use laws than the US, and I think all the games you mention are run by US based companies.
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    There are different legalities that would apply since there is a difference between soliciting user submissions under explicitly defined use terms vs using unsolicited stuff. Pretty darn sure that Japan has different Fair Use laws than the US, and I think all the games you mention are run by US based companies.
    Also, I'm absolutely SURE the community would be happy to submit user-created models, animations, and skins, which would save dev time and they could simply handle the side of things they're already handling now, that's how a few games create content, Trove comes to mind.
    Was talking about user submissions from the beginning, not fair use, all of the games I listed publish content that is user-generated and user-submitted.

After doing some googling I see many, many articles mentioning that few Japanese games use user-generated content and saying that more should, but I see none mentioning the reasoning behind this being anything due to legal issues.

There are some Japanese games that use user-generated content such as Little Big Planet and Super Mario Maker but I will admit I was hard pressed to find examples, and in these two the design tools are within the game which wouldn't be the case here, but regardless, the fact that they released the shield that was user-submitted should be enough to prove that using user-submitted designs should be viable.
    (0)

Player
    Was talking about user submissions from the beginning, not fair use, all of the games I listed publish content that is user-generated and user-submitted.

After doing some googling I see many, many articles mentioning that few Japanese games use user-generated content and saying that more should, but I see none mentioning the reasoning behind this being anything due to legal issues.

There are some Japanese games that use user-generated content such as Little Big Planet and Super Mario Maker but I will admit I was hard pressed to find examples, and in these two the design tools are within the game which wouldn't be the case here, but regardless, the fact that they released the shield that was user-submitted should be enough to prove that using user-submitted designs should be viable.
    There's also the argument that a single-case contest barely counts as precedent. I wouldn't be overly surprised if they were to do a repeat and hold another contest for a single item, but again, outside of something like that, there are going to be issues w/ a Japanese company implementing user-sourced designs.

The best example of legal problem possibility would be the anime "Super Dimensial Fortress Macross". If I'm remembering my history on that one, the reason it was never licensed for NA distribution was due to copyright issues over the music since I think the composers retain the copyrights :? That's why it ended being frankensteined into Robotech. XD Not 100% sure of the details tbh, only that the Japanese production company does not hold all rights by default.

Given the apparent technical difficulty for the current dev team to add new models to the game, the graphics/textures are probably the least of the issues involved with getting anything "new". Which means that user submitted content wouldn't help much anyway.

I believe that the most viable route to go would be to start hollering for new head/frames that are reskinned/recolored rather than unique. If all that they have to consider is "How/what should it DO?" without concerns about creating new assets, then there might be a shot at seeing something actually happen. ^^
    (0)
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”

Character
    Danallen
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Here's a possible suggestion/option to develop for PUP automatons::
    1. Make a series of quests for PUPs (restrictions to begin might be like "must be lv.99", or already have all other head/body frames, etc...) that allow it to get a +1 version of the now-existing frames/heads re-using the graphics for them, but just raising elemental capacity or giving +stats to them as the HQ bonuses, as how we got Abyssea nq/+1/+2/reforged items; they reused same graphics, just added stats.
    2. Make a separate quest for each head and frame (10 total?) for those people that might use mage robots, but rarely use PLD or RNG, etc... so people can be selective.
    ... just a thought...
    (3)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzspdref View Post
    Here's a possible suggestion/option to develop for PUP automatons::
    1. Make a series of quests for PUPs (restrictions to begin might be like "must be lv.99", or already have all other head/body frames, etc...) that allow it to get a +1 version of the now-existing frames/heads re-using the graphics for them, but just raising elemental capacity or giving +stats to them as the HQ bonuses, as how we got Abyssea nq/+1/+2/reforged items; they reused same graphics, just added stats.
    2. Make a separate quest for each head and frame (10 total?) for those people that might use mage robots, but rarely use PLD or RNG, etc... so people can be selective.
    ... just a thought...
    I like this. ^^ It's something that is possible to do, so it's something worth asking for. And quests would probably be the best way to justify the additions. Maybe instead of reforges though (since there might be balance concerns w/ straight stat buffs to existing parts or AI behavior replacements,) they are still same graphics but new items. This would allow for new AI routines/priorities without losing anything we currently have access to, and HQ versions would also justify adding some smaller stat/capacity bonuses.
    (0)

Character
    Xiozan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    I like this. ^^ It's something that is possible to do, so it's something worth asking for. And quests would probably be the best way to justify the additions. Maybe instead of reforges though (since there might be balance concerns w/ straight stat buffs to existing parts or AI behavior replacements,) they are still same graphics but new items. This would allow for new AI routines/priorities without losing anything we currently have access to, and HQ versions would also justify adding some smaller stat/capacity bonuses.
    I concur. Can't see this being an issue related to lacking resources or concerns about adding "new graphics" ect... With the addition of Omen, I believe adding a "must be lvl. 99" requirement to begin this type of upgrade process based on automaton head/frames +1's would be AWESOME...and retied to the initial questing givers in Aht Urhgan...or even Nashamu.
    (0)

{DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations.

once a user submits a entry for a design for a game, due to how most submittions are or competitions are, alot of companys when they take the idea take the legal rights to the idea too. you submitting it, however your submitting it for free with the rights of the idea being given to the company.

If the company lays legal claim in such a case, other companys can't take the idea even if its from the original submitter due to the original companys right to claim (Thats if they trademark or copyright,etc it of cause)
    (0)

Character
    Lalandra
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    I know this thread is pretty old now, but Cor doesn't seem like a good one. If anything, a bard for support caster type which while in this mode can do light healing, but unable to fight. This would be good for those Pups I see around that are built with full master combat sets and be buffing party with 2 songs that could be adjusted by what maneuvers were active or attachments that must be equipped for it to use the particular song.
    Also, for new frames. You could easily use graphic from the various jobs to make the frames, like bard's Relic hat as a new head.

Seriously though, the puppet has so much potential for customization, it is a little silly to not give players more frames. Even if it's strictly cosmetic, like making alternate heads that do same functions. Maybe a Drg's AF helm for a head and purple colored frame.
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast