Character
    Genzz
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99

So, about Spirit Surge...

Maybe I have missed something, but it seems to me that Spirit Surge has been useless for some time now, and need to be updated or replaced.

Short reminder for those who may need it : originally, the wyvern was a small gimmick for Dragoon. Call Wyvern was the job's 2h, and it was already considered a bad 2h since the wyvern died easily, or got lost by using a chocobo or changing job.
    Spirit Surge was eventually introduced as a new 2h (and Call wyvern updated to a 20 mins ability). Spirit Surge releases the wyvern, it was a small cost for some interesting gains at the time (mainly the haste+25%)
    Then, Soul Jump and Spirit Jump were added, which are more powerful when the wyvern is present. Finally, the presence of the wyvern added another boost of att+20%/def+20%/ja haste+10% to the master.
    Therefore, using Spirit Surge has now a great cost : using it means losing the basic power of the job. Imagine if Samurai lost hasso/seigan during their 1h, or if Scholar lost Light/Dark arts during their 1h. And, in worst case, what if they couldn't use it again for up to 20 minutes?! That's what Spirit Surge does.

In the same time, the bonus from Spirit Surge lost in importance (again, the haste+25% mainly). Most 1h-abilities, I think, keep the same effectiveness through levels. Some actually get more efficient (Mighty Strikes get better when the player can hit faster and has more powerful multi-hit ws). Spirit Surge is maybe the only one who get less efficient : its bonus are interesting while leveling, for capped mission battlefield (well...), but above lvl 75 it loses its purpose.

So, how to enhance it? Or replace it?
    It may seem ironic, but the easiest answer may be to revert it back to Call Wyvern. A "Call Wyvern II", to be accurate, allowing Dragoon to recall the wyvern a little more often in dangerous fights.
    The wyvern from "Call Wyvern II" should be a more powerful than the usual wyvern, to keep this "1h ability" aspect (and the AF2 body and job points would enhance its power further).
    (2)
    Last edited by Genz; 04-08-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Character
    Helldemon
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Not that I disagree with Spirit surge needing some kind of update, it does do more then 25% JA Haste. It gives 25% of the wyverns max hp to you along with curing you the amount of hp the wyvern currently has. It also gives a 50 acc boost and a Str boost relative to your level, I think level/5 or so.

Would love a 2nd timer since we are the only pet job that gets crippled so badly when we lose our pet yet all the other jobs have multiple timers or very short timers. I think it should be just a 2nd JA though and not our 1h. Spirit Surge could still be fine if they just added all the bonuses we get from wyvern including the one from gifts provided we get a 2nd timer for our wyvern.
    (0)