Character
    Galkashield
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    THF Lv 1

Do I pick shield skill+ or "chance of successful of block"?

Hello SE/folks,
    I notice many pieces for Paladin in the same slot have augments like "Shield Skill +17" or "Chance of Successful block +3"

Can you tell us what the ratio is or how these two stats work?

Thank you.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Chance to block is just that. 4-5 skill is about 1% to blockrate
    (0)

There is however a block rate cap for each shield based on its size, which the "Chance of" will bypass as far as I know. I know for sure there is a cap per shield based on its shield size, simply not if the "Chance of" will bypass it. I think it does.

But as the above poster said. Skill increases your block rate up to the shields cap, where as Chance of Successful Block just directly adds a % chance increase.
    (0)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    From what I recall the tests of "caps" were from long ago and were quite possible more really max you could get with gear limits. I don't think more recent tests with much higher shield skills have shown any caps per se other than gear limitations.

edit: yeah Martel did some on pre nerf Killedar and got all the way to 100%
    (0)
    Last edited by dasva; 02-27-2016 at 03:32 AM.

Character
    Cabalabob
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    My assumption is that by "chance for block" it's referring to like a second "chance". As in another block check. So if you had 90% block from shield skill and failed to block and had +1 chance for successful block, you'd then get a second block roll with a 1% chance. Kind of like rolling 2 dice instead of 1.

This is all an assumption mind you, I have no evidence to back it up.
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    From what I recall the tests of "caps" were from long ago and were quite possible more really max you could get with gear limits. I don't think more recent tests with much higher shield skills have shown any caps per se other than gear limitations.

edit: yeah Martel did some on pre nerf Killedar and got all the way to 100%
    Yah,,, I recently found those tests and was quite surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabalabob View Post
    My assumption is that by "chance for block" it's referring to like a second "chance". As in another block check. So if you had 90% block from shield skill and failed to block and had +1 chance for successful block, you'd then get a second block roll with a 1% chance. Kind of like rolling 2 dice instead of 1.

This is all an assumption mind you, I have no evidence to back it up.
    Not a bad guess based on some other things but in this case, negative.

I wish I could dig up the tests but you can actually hit 100% Block rate with certain shields with enough +Block Rate... they mentioned the Dark Matter augments (which go up to +10...), So it essentially just adds +1% to your block rate, up to 100.
    (0)