Character
    Snapster
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99

Regarding Kupo Shield

Hello everybody,

This purpose of this post is to bring attention to the severe balance issues introduced by this item.

Kupo Shield

Thank you to bg-wiki for providing the following image.

Everybody who is familiar with crafting knows that this a very powerful item. There are a large number of older cursed item recipes that fall within the 92~94 crafting skill range. When combined with all other obtainable crafting items and advanced synthesis support, the Kupo Shield allows a player's crafting skill to exceed these recipes by 31 or more. This moves the rate of high quality synthesis for these recipes from tier 1 (6.25% base high quality rate) to tier 2 (25% base high quality rate.)

High quality versions of old cursed items may seem irrelevant, but they are not. Newer cursed items introduced with Escha - Ru'Aun have two different recipes. A high main crafting skill recipe (110~115) with a level 70 sub crafting skill with a very low rate of high quality synthesis (tier 0 - 1.5625%) and a low main crafting skill recipe (91~95) with fewer ingredients, no sub crafting skill, and a low to moderate (tier 1 - 6.25% or tier 2 - 25%) rates of high quality synthesis. The high quality versions of older cursed items serve as the base for the lower main crafting skill recipes. It is very desirable to use those recipes due to both the lowered number of ingredients and increase in the rate of high quality synthesis. Furthermore, most of lower main skill recipes also fall in 92~94 crafting skill range. Even if the older cursed item is not affected by the Kupo Shield, the recipe will most likely benefit from a tier 1 to tier 2 high quality synthesis rate change. In some cases, the Kupo Shield affects both the base cursed item and the new cursed item.

The combined effects of this can be staggering. Voodoo Cuisses, for example, can be obtained at a fraction of the effort and cost (20~ vs 272~ synthesis attempts) for a player with Kupo Shield versus a player without. The effects of this can easily be observed on Fenrir server. Voodoo Cuisses were only formerly obtained by determined Alchemist's and sold for a price for 40~50m but now they sell like hotcakes for a cheap 10m.

Affected Recipes

The following recipes are affected by Kupo Shield.
    Cursed Cuisses -1
    Cursed Finger Gauntlets -1
    Cursed Greaves -1
    Jinxed Coif
    Jinxed Slops
    Jinxed Gages
    Voodoo Greaves*
    Voodoo Finger Gauntlets*
    Voodoo Cuisses*
    Voodoo Mask
    Cursed Haidate -1
    Voodoo Haidate*
    Cursed Sune-Ate -1
    Voodoo Kabuto
    Voodoo Kote
    Voodoo Sune-Ate**
    Jinxed Kote
    Jinxed Hakama
    Jinxed Hose
    Voodoo Mitts
    Jinxed Cuffs
    Voodoo Slacks
    Jinxed Tights
    Jinxed Kecks
    Jinxed Mitra
    Jinxed Bonnet
    Voodoo Mufflers*
    Cursed Mufflers -1
    Cursed Sollerets -1
    Jinxed Somen
    Voodoo Celata
    Voodoo Breeches
    Voodoo Sollerets*
    Cursed Gloves -1
    Voodoo Gloves -1*
    Jinxed Wristbands
    Voodoo Subligar -1
    Cursed Leggings -1
    Voodoo Cap
    Voodoo Leggings**
    Voodoo Handschuhs
    Jinxed Gauntlets
    Cursed Diechlings -1
    Voodoo Diechlings*
    Cursed Schuhs -1
    Voodoo Crown
    Voodoo Schaller
    Jinxed Coronet

(*) denotes a cursed item where the base recipe and main recipe are both affected by Kupo Shield.
    (**) denotes a cursed item where base recipe only is affected by Kupo Shield.
    I did my best when compiling this list, but I may have missed some recipes. Additionally, a few of these recipes that are not denoted with (*) probably should be. The reason for this is that the base recipe has an sub crafting skill with an undocumented level. These usually fall in the 40~44 crafting skill range, and if that's the case, will be affected by the Kupo Shield. However, as they are not documented, I did not mark them with an asterisk as I cannot be completely certain.

The Problem

Please don't misunderstand me. I think it's great that high quality versions of cursed items are more obtainable than before. The issue lies in that the only method to obtain a Kupo Shield was the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel Mog Bonanza as a rank 1 or rank 2 prize. The players who were lucky enough to win (only 130 players were) and selected the Kupo Shield as their prize have essentially been given an item that grants them nearly an unlimited gil using only a modicum of effort and the ability to completely corner most of the current crafting market.

I believe this goes beyond the original scope of the Mog Bonanza in that it serves as a huge detriment to any crafter who doesn't have a Kupo Shield. Crafters without the Kupo shield will have to work harder less gil, and in many cases it simply is not possible to make gil anymore at all. Voodoo Cuisses, for example, cost about 14~16m gil and several hours of crafting on average to synthesize for someone without a Kupo Shield. Someone with a Kupo Shield can synthesize almost 20 of them using the same time and ingredients. With the current price of 10m, it is no longer possible for anybody but owners of a Kupo Shield to make gil from this synthesis.

Please address this issue and please do it in a way that allows any player to obtain a Kupo Shield if they are determined.
    (11)

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I do share in your concerns over this, the best thing people with the shield can do is base their selling price of items based on a 122 skill HQ rate or other crafters just won't be able to compete. Effectively owners of the shield could monopolise the market of certain items by lowering the price so it would still be a profit for them but a loss for everyone else.
    (4)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    I have nothing against the mog bonaza having a big one time pay but yeah this was basically a license to print money for the lucky few.
    (7)

Character
    Andrewviii
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Pretty much, they should keep it to expensive prizes not exclusive to bonaza. Hopefully they will add the Kupo items some other way soon.
    (5)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    So it seems that this isn't really just theory crafting at this point. Check Bahamut jinxed and vexed stuff made from alchemy and you will see way below other server prices for stuff in bulk from the same guy. Guy is basically printing gil. Seems like something similar on Fenrir too
    (3)
    Last edited by dasva; 02-23-2016 at 03:27 AM.

Character
    Rwolf
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I wasn't aware of this occurring, thanks to the OP for writing the post out. I agree with the premise that everything in Mog Bonanza should be available through some other means.
    (1)

7. 02-23-2016 04:55 AM
    Reason
    It's not even worth bothering

Character
    Tydis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So it seems that this isn't really just theory crafting at this point. Check Bahamut jinxed and vexed stuff made from alchemy and you will see way below other server prices for stuff in bulk from the same guy. Guy is basically printing gil. Seems like something similar on Fenrir too
    With the prices he's selling, people might decide it's beneficial to server hop, buy all the gear they need and hop back and just as fate would have it, he's an alchemist so it could very well affect my ability to sell gear, which I'm already struggling to do anyway being on a small server.
    (1)

Character
    Dasva
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidis View Post
    With the prices he's selling, people might decide it's beneficial to server hop, buy all the gear they need and hop back and just as fate would have it, he's an alchemist so it could very well affect my ability to sell gear, which I'm already struggling to do anyway being on a small server.
    Honestly I was thinking of hopping for some HQs and I have an alchemy mule with full skill, gear, furnishing KIs etc. But the guy is selling them way cheaper than I could hope to make them even farming most of the ingredients just because he has over 10 times better chance at making HQs on things he can bump a tier on both
    (0)
    Last edited by dasva; 02-24-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Character
    Snapster
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    I'm relieved that other people also see this as a problem. It seems like it's only going to get worse given that players plan on moving items across servers because the price difference incentivizes this. Additionally, it only takes a few hours to take a craft skill from 70 to 110 if you don't mind blowing through a little bit of gil. It's only a matter of time until these players get guild items from multiple guilds and start doing this.
    (0)

Greetings, kupo!

The Kupo Shield was designed to be a special item for Mog Bonanza, and at the moment there are no plans to introduce alternative avenues for obtaining it.
    However, in terms of synthesis, the development team is currently in the midst of planning adjustments and additions.
    Once I have details and a time frame, I will be sure to update you.
    (9)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast